View Poll Results: Do you support mandatory investment via mutual funds

Voters
15. You may not vote on this poll
  • I support Obamacare and would support mandatory investment

    0 0%
  • I support Obamacare and would oppose mandatory investment

    4 26.67%
  • I oppose Obamacare but support mandatory investment

    1 6.67%
  • I oppose Obamacare and mandatory investment

    7 46.67%
  • Rootabega

    0 0%
  • Fisher is brilliant

    3 20.00%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 22

Thread: Mandatory Mutual Funds

  1. #1
    Sage
    Fisher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Last Seen
    12-06-13 @ 02:44 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    17,002

    Mandatory Mutual Funds

    If one were to substitute "health insurance" with the word "mutual funds" in the Obamacare scheme, every argument would be the same. Some people cannot afford to retire; the cost of providing for the elderly is passed onto the public etc., so When President Paul Ryan requires that everyone have a mutual fund and make annual contributions to it, or be "taxed" 2% of their income every year, are you going to support it?

  2. #2
    Pontificator
    iliveonramen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    On a Gravy Train with Biscuit Wheels
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 06:06 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    9,166

    Re: Mandatory Mutual Funds

    Quote Originally Posted by Fisher View Post
    If one were to substitute "health insurance" with the word "mutual funds" in the Obamacare scheme, every argument would be the same. Some people cannot afford to retire; the cost of providing for the elderly is passed onto the public etc., so When President Paul Ryan requires that everyone have a mutual fund and make annual contributions to it, or be "taxed" 2% of their income every year, are you going to support it?
    Isn't that pretty much Social Security except Social Security is a higher percent?
    “Capitalism is the astounding belief that the most wickedest of men will do the most wickedest of things for the greatest good of everyone.” John Maynard Keynes

  3. #3
    Sage
    Fisher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Last Seen
    12-06-13 @ 02:44 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    17,002

    Re: Mandatory Mutual Funds

    Quote Originally Posted by iliveonramen View Post
    Isn't that pretty much Social Security except Social Security is a higher percent?
    Social Security is not a mutual fund. It gets invested in government bonds that barely keep pace with inflation, but if you like your social security, you can keep it and be taxed the extra 2%.

  4. #4
    Engineer

    RabidAlpaca's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    American in Europe
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:03 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    14,569

    Re: Mandatory Mutual Funds

    Gee, I wonder who's the one person who picked the "Fisher is brilliant" option.
    Quote Originally Posted by LowDown View Post
    I've got to say that it is shadenfreudalicious to see the rich and famous fucquewads on the coast suffering from the fires.

  5. #5
    Pontificator
    iliveonramen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    On a Gravy Train with Biscuit Wheels
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 06:06 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    9,166

    Re: Mandatory Mutual Funds

    Quote Originally Posted by Fisher View Post
    Social Security is not a mutual fund. It gets invested in government bonds that barely keep pace with inflation, but if you like your social security, you can keep it and be taxed the extra 2%.
    Well I already invest but I'm not sure what the point of a 2% tax would be if you're already taxed for your retirement.
    “Capitalism is the astounding belief that the most wickedest of men will do the most wickedest of things for the greatest good of everyone.” John Maynard Keynes

  6. #6
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Theoretical Physics Lab
    Last Seen
    01-06-15 @ 11:06 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    25,120

    Re: Mandatory Mutual Funds

    Quote Originally Posted by iliveonramen View Post
    Isn't that pretty much Social Security except Social Security is a higher percent?
    For all intents and purposes, I'd consider it the same.

  7. #7
    Sometimes wrong

    ttwtt78640's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Uhland, Texas
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:27 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    34,580

    Re: Mandatory Mutual Funds

    Quote Originally Posted by Fisher View Post
    If one were to substitute "health insurance" with the word "mutual funds" in the Obamacare scheme, every argument would be the same. Some people cannot afford to retire; the cost of providing for the elderly is passed onto the public etc., so When President Paul Ryan requires that everyone have a mutual fund and make annual contributions to it, or be "taxed" 2% of their income every year, are you going to support it?
    Some key components of your "plan" are missing.

    What amount/percentage of income as investment would avoid the penalty?

    What qualifies as a mutual fund?

    What will the gov't put into my mutual fund account if I am deemed to be "too poor"?

    The devil is always in the details.
    “The reasonable man adapts himself to the world: the unreasonable one persists to adapt the world to himself.
    Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” ― George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman

  8. #8
    Sage
    Fisher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Last Seen
    12-06-13 @ 02:44 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    17,002

    Re: Mandatory Mutual Funds

    Quote Originally Posted by iliveonramen View Post
    Well I already invest but I'm not sure what the point of a 2% tax would be if you're already taxed for your retirement.
    Because a lot of people are not. A Lot of people already had insurance and the government already has insurance programs for the poor, but it made no difference. We had to have Obamacare, so there is now nothing to stop RyanRetirement.

  9. #9
    Sage
    cpwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    USofA
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 02:43 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    57,107

    Re: Mandatory Mutual Funds

    Quote Originally Posted by Fisher View Post
    If one were to substitute "health insurance" with the word "mutual funds" in the Obamacare scheme, every argument would be the same. Some people cannot afford to retire; the cost of providing for the elderly is passed onto the public etc., so When President Paul Ryan requires that everyone have a mutual fund and make annual contributions to it, or be "taxed" 2% of their income every year, are you going to support it?
    We already force folks to invest in Government bonds in a socialized payment scheme - shifting them to mutual funds would at least allow them to maintain private ownership of their funds.

  10. #10
    Sage
    Fisher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Last Seen
    12-06-13 @ 02:44 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    17,002

    Re: Mandatory Mutual Funds

    Quote Originally Posted by ttwtt78640 View Post
    Some key components of your "plan" are missing.

    What amount/percentage of income as investment would avoid the penalty?

    What qualifies as a mutual fund?

    What will the gov't put into my mutual fund account if I am deemed to be "too poor"?

    The devil is always in the details.
    8% makes you too poor for the ACA, so 8% has to go into mutual funds.

    Whatever the government declares a mutual fund to be. We can put heavy penalties on early withdrawals.

    No. You will get whatever the government provides you in a Medicaid version retirement under the current SS system.

    No. The Devil just retired from being Secretary of State so I suspect she is in New York and not the details.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •