View Poll Results: Roman Polanski and your perception of France

Voters
27. You may not vote on this poll
  • I can't believe France is protecting a child raper

    14 51.85%
  • The French are absolutely correct to do what they're doing.

    4 14.81%
  • It's wrong, but hey... cest la vie

    6 22.22%
  • A little rape never harmed anyone.

    3 11.11%
Page 6 of 22 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast
Results 51 to 60 of 220

Thread: Does the Roman Polanski affair affect your view of the French?[W:72]

  1. #51
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    The anals of history
    Last Seen
    07-25-15 @ 02:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    10,348

    re: Does the Roman Polanski affair affect your view of the French?[W:72]

    Quote Originally Posted by Grand Mal View Post
    According to Wikipedia, he was Polish by birth. Don't know if that matters to the french, though.
    He was an American who committed a crime on American soil, was detained and tried by the American justice system, and he fled to France. He's lived there under their protection for so long that he is now a naturalized citizen.

    We already know the French won't extradite him. The question is just how this colors everyone's views of the French.

    It's really quite remarkable that they would go to such lengths to harbor a man who literally drugged and raped a child. I wouldn't want that man anywhere near my country - pick another forum to make your point on the death penalty.

    But that's the French for you.

  2. #52
    Guru
    soot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Last Seen
    04-25-17 @ 03:28 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    4,308

    re: Does the Roman Polanski affair affect your view of the French?[W:72]

    Quote Originally Posted by Peter Grimm View Post
    If he served his time, why is he still a wanted man?
    Because he walked before his final hearing. The one at which he was afraid he'd be deported.

    Also, what is with the left's fascination with everything French? Aren't your knees getting sore yet?
    No, but I am getting tired of your baiting.

    I already reported your last comment calling me "disgusting" and I'll be reporting this one too.
    “Now it is not good for the Christian’s health to hustle the Aryan brown,
    For the Christian riles, and the Aryan smiles and he weareth the Christian down;
    And the end of the fight is a tombstone white with the name of the late deceased,
    And the epitaph drear: “A Fool lies here who tried to hustle the East.”

  3. #53
    Guru
    soot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Last Seen
    04-25-17 @ 03:28 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    4,308

    re: Does the Roman Polanski affair affect your view of the French?[W:72]

    Quote Originally Posted by Harshaw View Post
    Then it's your position that it's impossible to do the right thing for the wrong reason?
    “Now it is not good for the Christian’s health to hustle the Aryan brown,
    For the Christian riles, and the Aryan smiles and he weareth the Christian down;
    And the end of the fight is a tombstone white with the name of the late deceased,
    And the epitaph drear: “A Fool lies here who tried to hustle the East.”

  4. #54
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    The anals of history
    Last Seen
    07-25-15 @ 02:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    10,348

    re: Does the Roman Polanski affair affect your view of the French?[W:72]

    Quote Originally Posted by soot View Post
    Because he walked before his final hearing. The one at which he was afraid he'd be deported.



    No, but I am getting tired of your baiting.

    I already reported your last comment calling me "disgusting" and I'll be reporting this one too.
    Report your own comment where you called me "ignorant" while you're at it. And grow some thicker skin.

  5. #55
    Guru
    soot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Last Seen
    04-25-17 @ 03:28 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    4,308

    re: Does the Roman Polanski affair affect your view of the French?[W:72]

    Quote Originally Posted by Peter Grimm View Post
    Report your own comment where you called me "ignorant" while you're at it. And grow some thicker skin.
    I asked if you were ignorant of the facts as they relate to this case.

    That's not an insult.

    There's no shame in being ignorant of something.

    And grow some thicker skin.
    No.

    How about instead, you obey the rules of the community?

    That would be awesome.

    Thanks a billion.
    “Now it is not good for the Christian’s health to hustle the Aryan brown,
    For the Christian riles, and the Aryan smiles and he weareth the Christian down;
    And the end of the fight is a tombstone white with the name of the late deceased,
    And the epitaph drear: “A Fool lies here who tried to hustle the East.”

  6. #56
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Gina's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:24 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    31,924

    re: Does the Roman Polanski affair affect your view of the French?[W:72]

    Quote Originally Posted by Peter Grimm View Post
    You liberals normally just annoy me a little, but this is outright disgusting. You're going to rubber stamp the rape of a 13 year old girl simply because your buddies, the French, have done so?

    Disgusting.

    So what if the girl (now woman, thanks to the passage of time) has tried to put it behind her? What do you expect her to do? She's not going to get any closure on this from the justice system thanks to the French. What would you expect her to do, for her own sanity?? OF COURSE she is going to say and do what she is doing.

    That doesn't mean pedophilia and rape should go completely unpunished. My goodness.
    Polanski is a disgusting child rapist. It is not your place to say "so what" that the victim would like to put this behind her and advocate to inflict something on her she expressed she does not wish to happen. The victim has said let it go in public. Her wishes and the reasons for them, are her own and should be respected.
    I don't attack my constituents. Bob is my constituent now.
    This is the important stuff. We can’t get lost in discrimination. We can’t get lost in B.S. We can’t get lost tearing each other down. I want to make a point here that no matter what you look like, where you come from, how you worship, who you love, how you identify, and yeah, how you run, that if you have good public policy ideas, if you are well qualified for office, bring those ideas to the table, because this is your America, too. This is our commonwealth of Virginia, too.
    Danica Roem - The nation's first openly transgender person elected to serve in a U.S. state legislature.

  7. #57
    Filmmaker Lawyer Patriot
    Harshaw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:12 PM
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    29,589

    re: Does the Roman Polanski affair affect your view of the French?[W:72]

    Quote Originally Posted by soot View Post
    Then it's your position that it's impossible to do the right thing for the wrong reason?
    It's my position that you ascribed moral weight to what they do, and you did.

    It's also my position that "moral high ground" exists in the actual position they take, not Nietzschean result. If you intend to murder someone because you hate them or want their money, it doesn't make the act or the intention moral just because you inadvertently stopped that person from murdering someone else.
    “Offing those rich pigs with their own forks and knives, and then eating a meal in the same room, far out! The Weathermen dig Charles Manson.”-- Bernadine Dohrn

  8. #58
    Question authority
    Grand Mal's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    on an island off the left coast of Canada
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:10 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    16,491
    Blog Entries
    1

    re: Does the Roman Polanski affair affect your view of the French?[W:72]

    Quote Originally Posted by Peter Grimm View Post
    He was an American who committed a crime on American soil, was detained and tried by the American justice system, and he fled to France. He's lived there under their protection for so long that he is now a naturalized citizen.

    We already know the French won't extradite him. The question is just how this colors everyone's views of the French.

    It's really quite remarkable that they would go to such lengths to harbor a man who literally drugged and raped a child. I wouldn't want that man anywhere near my country - pick another forum to make your point on the death penalty.

    But that's the French for you.
    I get you don't like the extradition thing. I can understand if it's an emotional subject, but I think, maybe, you want this to be a reason to hate French people.
    This is why I think that...

    'affect your view of the French?'
    'that's the French for you'

    Sure you're not using a child's rape to give you a morally-unassailable chance to bash a whole nation of people?
    "I did not mean that Conservatives are generally stupid people. I meant that stupid people are generally Conservatives."
    -John Stuart Mill-

  9. #59
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    The anals of history
    Last Seen
    07-25-15 @ 02:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    10,348

    re: Does the Roman Polanski affair affect your view of the French?[W:72]

    Quote Originally Posted by Gina View Post
    Polanski is a disgusting child rapist. It is not your place to say "so what" that the victim would like to put this behind her and advocate to inflict something on her she expressed she does not wish to happen. The victim has said let it go in public. Her wishes and the reasons for them, are her own and should be respected.
    A lot of victims of pedophilia and rape forgive their attackers. It's part of the coping mechanism, a way to regain control of one's life, and it's a perfectly normal response.

    A lot of rape victims would rather not testify in court, and that's why so many rape victims never come forward and consequently, so many crimes go unreported.

    This is NORMAL. It does NOT mean that rape and pedophilia should go unpunished.

    It's not about me wanting to inflict something on the victim that she doesn't want. It's about the rule of law and prosecuting a known criminal. It's about making sure he can't harm any MORE CHILDREN.

  10. #60
    Canadian Conservative
    CanadaJohn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    27,193

    re: Does the Roman Polanski affair affect your view of the French?[W:72]

    Quote Originally Posted by Peter Grimm View Post
    Everything happened according to California law. The fact is that Polanski did not fully serve his time, or else he wouldn't be a wanted man, would he?

    But I suppose in your world, those who are facilitating a child rapist's lavish lifestyle and refusing to hand him over to the authorities are the ones with the moral high ground.

    Canadians. SMH.
    There's really no use for me to attempt to have a serious or useful discussion with you since you refuse to consider the facts of the case and are only on a crusade to push your own agenda. Have at it.

    I would advise, however, that you refrain from your blanket condemnation of "Canadians". I am Canadian, but my views are no more an official Canadian position than your emotional nonsense is representative of the good people of America.
    "Liberals claim to want to give a hearing to other views, but then are shocked and offended to discover that there are other views." William F. Buckley Jr.

Page 6 of 22 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •