View Poll Results: Roman Polanski and your perception of France

Voters
27. You may not vote on this poll
  • I can't believe France is protecting a child raper

    14 51.85%
  • The French are absolutely correct to do what they're doing.

    4 14.81%
  • It's wrong, but hey... cest la vie

    6 22.22%
  • A little rape never harmed anyone.

    3 11.11%
Page 22 of 22 FirstFirst ... 12202122
Results 211 to 220 of 220

Thread: Does the Roman Polanski affair affect your view of the French?[W:72]

  1. #211
    Electrician
    Bob Blaylock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    North 38°28′ West 121°26′
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 03:47 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    13,745

    Re: Does the Roman Polanski affair affect your view of the French?[W:72]

    Quote Originally Posted by Peter Grimm View Post
    No, I'm not buying that.

    I just think any lib defending Roman Polansky is being cheap and shallow. They're thinking about left vs right more than they are thinking about the victim and the crime. Nobody can think it's OK for a 43 year old man to drug and rape a 13 year old girl.

    These libs are seeking out some reason to marginalize or ignore the rape of a child because they're so dug in to their side on this left vs right debate, they can't see the forest for the trees anymore.

    Which is why I love love love this issue. It will jar some of them loose.

    Every dem, lefty, etc KNOWS it's wrong to rape a 13 year old child. Every single one. They have to, or they aren't even fit to call human.
    A generation ago, the idea that homosexuals would be demanding the right to “marry”, and to have their “marriage recognized as being in any way comparable to a genuine marriage; and that anyone opposing this idea could be marginalized as “bigots”, or even sued and driven out of business for declining to provide services in support of such a disgusting mockery of something sacred; was at least as unthinkable as you and I now think that it is to let a guy get away scot-free with drugging and anally-raping a 13-year-old girl.

    You cannot deny it, that some of those on the fringes of this movement; knowing fully what they are doing, have defended Mr. Polanski, and condemned those who wish to see him brought to justice. They are the ones on the current leading edge of a movement that has been going for at least a few generations, now. They're the fringe of this movement, for now, just as those defending homosexuality were on the fringe a generation ago.
    The five great lies of the Left Wrong:
    We can be Godless and free. • “Social justice” through forced redistribution of wealth. • Silencing religious opinions counts as “diversity”. • Freedom without moral and personal responsibility. • Civilization can survive the intentional undermining of the family.

  2. #212
    Global Moderator
    Bodhidarma approves bigly
    Andalublue's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Granada, España
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:21 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    26,111

    Re: Does the Roman Polanski affair affect your view of the French?[W:72]

    As far as I can see, the moral laxity in this case resides in the Californian justice system. The judge and prosecutors were happy to bargain the plea down to illegal sex with a minor, then reneged on the deal. Neither the victim nor Polanski had any reason to expect that justice would be done. They sorted it out between themselves. The matter is closed. The French and the Swiss both recognised that the US has not behaved properly and have thus denied extradition, nothing to do with the death penalty.
    "The crisis will end when fear changes sides" - Pablo Iglesias Turrión

    "Austerity is used as a cover to reconfigure society and increase inequality and injustice." - Jeremy Corbyn

  3. #213
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    The anals of history
    Last Seen
    07-25-15 @ 02:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    10,348

    Re: Does the Roman Polanski affair affect your view of the French?[W:72]

    Quote Originally Posted by Andalublue View Post
    As far as I can see, the moral laxity in this case resides in the Californian justice system. The judge and prosecutors were happy to bargain the plea down to illegal sex with a minor, then reneged on the deal. Neither the victim nor Polanski had any reason to expect that justice would be done. They sorted it out between themselves. The matter is closed. The French and the Swiss both recognised that the US has not behaved properly and have thus denied extradition, nothing to do with the death penalty.

    I am in no way surprised that this is your take on the issue.

    You are in the minority for Europeans, though, as polls show nearly 80 percent of Frenchmen agree that Polanski should be extradited.

    I suppose the fringe is always going to exist, though, so thanks for sharing your view.

  4. #214
    Sage
    mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    DC Metro
    Last Seen
    11-13-16 @ 12:58 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    22,499

    Re: Does the Roman Polanski affair affect your view of the French?[W:72]

    Quote Originally Posted by Carjosse View Post
    We do not the support the death sentence, we do not support eye for an eye.
    But child rape is ok.
    ”People willing to trade their freedom for temporary security deserve neither and will lose both.” --- Ben Franklin

    Quote Originally Posted by The German View Post
    Sterotypes are mostly based on truths.

  5. #215
    Global Moderator
    The Hammer of Chaos
    Goshin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Dixie
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:28 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,185

    Re: Does the Roman Polanski affair affect your view of the French?[W:72]

    I don't know much of the details about this. I remember it of course... I remember many people saying the case and the trial were messed up somehow, and questioning whether Polanski was actually guilty of forcible rape, or just statutory rape.

    I recall the stink about France refusing extradition.


    It was a long time ago though, and I have trouble getting worked up about it now at this late date.

    Fiddling While Rome Burns
    ISIS: Carthago Delenda Est
    "I used to roll the dice; see the fear in my enemies' eyes... listen as the crowd would sing, 'now the old king is dead, Long Live the King.'.."

  6. #216
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    The anals of history
    Last Seen
    07-25-15 @ 02:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    10,348

    Re: Does the Roman Polanski affair affect your view of the French?[W:72]

    Quote Originally Posted by Goshin View Post
    I don't know much of the details about this. I remember it of course... I remember many people saying the case and the trial were messed up somehow, and questioning whether Polanski was actually guilty of forcible rape, or just statutory rape.

    I recall the stink about France refusing extradition.


    It was a long time ago though, and I have trouble getting worked up about it now at this late date.
    He's still in France, living the high life, with no justice ever being served. The French refuse to cooperate.

  7. #217
    Advisor
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Britain, Mother of Civilisation
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    468

    Re: Does the Roman Polanski affair affect your view of the French?[W:72]

    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Blaylock View Post
    A generation ago, the idea that homosexuals would be demanding the right to “marry”, and to have their “marriage recognized as being in any way comparable to a genuine marriage; and that anyone opposing this idea could be marginalized as “bigots”, or even sued and driven out of business for declining to provide services in support of such a disgusting mockery of something sacred; was at least as unthinkable as you and I now think that it is to let a guy get away scot-free with drugging and anally-raping a 13-year-old girl.

    You cannot deny it, that some of those on the fringes of this movement; knowing fully what they are doing, have defended Mr. Polanski, and condemned those who wish to see him brought to justice. They are the ones on the current leading edge of a movement that has been going for at least a few generations, now. They're the fringe of this movement, for now, just as those defending homosexuality were on the fringe a generation ago.
    Are you really comparing consensual adult homosexuality with child rape?

    How are they in any way comparable?

  8. #218
    Electrician
    Bob Blaylock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    North 38°28′ West 121°26′
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 03:47 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    13,745

    Re: Does the Roman Polanski affair affect your view of the French?[W:72]

    Quote Originally Posted by Ad_Captandum View Post
    Are you really comparing consensual adult homosexuality with child rape?

    How are they in any way comparable?
    A generation from now, when, if the pervert-rights movement gets its way, child rape will be legal and considered acceptable; some counterpart then to yourself will be asking some counterpart to me if he is serious about likening child rape to whichever perversion that movement is then trying to get to be considered acceptable.
    The five great lies of the Left Wrong:
    We can be Godless and free. • “Social justice” through forced redistribution of wealth. • Silencing religious opinions counts as “diversity”. • Freedom without moral and personal responsibility. • Civilization can survive the intentional undermining of the family.

  9. #219
    Gradualist

    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Last Seen
    09-25-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    34,949
    Blog Entries
    6

    Re: Does the Roman Polanski affair affect your view of the French?[W:72]

    I'd rather vote, "eh its ****ed up but what can you do"?
    But hey the US is protecting terrorists here and refuse to extradite them... Luis Posada Carriles - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia


  10. #220
    Advisor
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Britain, Mother of Civilisation
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    468

    Re: Does the Roman Polanski affair affect your view of the French?[W:72]

    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Blaylock View Post
    A generation from now, when, if the pervert-rights movement gets its way, child rape will be legal and considered acceptable; some counterpart then to yourself will be asking some counterpart to me if he is serious about likening child rape to whichever perversion that movement is then trying to get to be considered acceptable.
    You didn't answer my question. Are you saying they are comparable?

    One is consensual, the other is not. One is between adults, the other is taking advantage of a child. How are these things comparable?

Page 22 of 22 FirstFirst ... 12202122

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •