View Poll Results: Roman Polanski and your perception of France

Voters
27. You may not vote on this poll
  • I can't believe France is protecting a child raper

    14 51.85%
  • The French are absolutely correct to do what they're doing.

    4 14.81%
  • It's wrong, but hey... cest la vie

    6 22.22%
  • A little rape never harmed anyone.

    3 11.11%
Page 18 of 22 FirstFirst ... 81617181920 ... LastLast
Results 171 to 180 of 220

Thread: Does the Roman Polanski affair affect your view of the French?[W:72]

  1. #171
    Guru
    soot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Last Seen
    04-25-17 @ 03:28 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    4,308

    Re: Does the Roman Polanski affair affect your view of the French?[W:72]

    Quote Originally Posted by Harshaw View Post
    Seriously?
    Yeah, seriously.

    I've explained to you numerous times what I meant and why I said what I said.

    You want to argue (troll) just for argument's sake.

    So let's at least get on the same page here.

    You tell me the position I'm actually taking.

    Go ahead.

    Lay it out there for me.

    Bust out the lower predicate calculus and diagram how, of logical necessity, I must mean what you're insisting I mean.
    “Now it is not good for the Christian’s health to hustle the Aryan brown,
    For the Christian riles, and the Aryan smiles and he weareth the Christian down;
    And the end of the fight is a tombstone white with the name of the late deceased,
    And the epitaph drear: “A Fool lies here who tried to hustle the East.”

  2. #172
    Filmmaker Lawyer Patriot
    Harshaw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:57 AM
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    29,592

    Re: Does the Roman Polanski affair affect your view of the French?[W:72]

    Quote Originally Posted by soot View Post
    Yeah, seriously.

    I've explained to you numerous times what I meant and why I said what I said.
    Yeah, you've repeated the same thing a couple of times.


    You want to argue (troll) just for argument's sake.
    No, I'm simply not letting you brush off what you said, not for the first time. Being a debate site, that's how it works.



    You tell me the position I'm actually taking.

    Go ahead.
    "Because of X, Y, Z things which are important to ME (but not what France has in mind), France occupies the 'moral high ground.'"

    It's really not complicated. As I've already pointed out the flaw in it several times, I don't see the need to do so again.
    “Offing those rich pigs with their own forks and knives, and then eating a meal in the same room, far out! The Weathermen dig Charles Manson.”-- Bernadine Dohrn

  3. #173
    Guru
    soot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Last Seen
    04-25-17 @ 03:28 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    4,308

    Re: Does the Roman Polanski affair affect your view of the French?[W:72]

    Quote Originally Posted by Harshaw View Post
    "Because of X, Y, Z things which are important to ME (but not what France has in mind), France occupies the 'moral high ground."
    Okay, so in principal what's your problem with me taking that position?

    Is it that instead of saying "occupies the moral high ground" I should have said, "holds the morally (or ethically) superior position"?

    Because I guess, in retrospect, I can see where my saying that France "occupies the moral high ground", if we take that "phrase" as the idiom it is, might actually mean something that I'm not saying .

    Is this really a petty debate over semantics?

    That's really what it's looking like.
    “Now it is not good for the Christian’s health to hustle the Aryan brown,
    For the Christian riles, and the Aryan smiles and he weareth the Christian down;
    And the end of the fight is a tombstone white with the name of the late deceased,
    And the epitaph drear: “A Fool lies here who tried to hustle the East.”

  4. #174
    Filmmaker Lawyer Patriot
    Harshaw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:57 AM
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    29,592

    Re: Does the Roman Polanski affair affect your view of the French?[W:72]

    Quote Originally Posted by soot View Post
    Okay, so in principal what's your problem with me taking that position?
    You say I'm "trolling"? How can you not know that?

    Quote Originally Posted by Harshaw View Post
    How? They're not citing anything you do for their reasons. They're citing objection to the death penalty, which does not apply.
    Quote Originally Posted by Harshaw View Post
    It's my position that you ascribed moral weight to what they do, and you did.

    It's also my position that "moral high ground" exists in the actual position they take, not Nietzschean result. If you intend to murder someone because you hate them or want their money, it doesn't make the act or the intention moral just because you inadvertently stopped that person from murdering someone else.
    Quote Originally Posted by Harshaw View Post
    It's not a matter of opinion that France isn't doing it for the reasons you state as being the moral issues of the case.

    Because I guess, in retrospect, I can see where my saying that France "occupies the moral high ground", if we take that "phrase" as the idiom it is, might actually mean something that I'm not saying .
    You are ascribing a moral position to France based not on what they're actually doing, but what you find important about the case.


    Is this really a petty debate over semantics?

    That's really what it's looking like.
    I guess it's what you're deciding to call it.
    “Offing those rich pigs with their own forks and knives, and then eating a meal in the same room, far out! The Weathermen dig Charles Manson.”-- Bernadine Dohrn

  5. #175
    Guru
    soot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Last Seen
    04-25-17 @ 03:28 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    4,308

    Re: Does the Roman Polanski affair affect your view of the French?[W:72]

    Quote Originally Posted by Harshaw View Post
    You are ascribing a moral position to France based not on what they're actually doing, but what you find important about the case.
    And I'm not allowed to do that or something?

    I mean, I've made no secret of it.

    Far as I know I'm allowed to make any value judgements I want about any situation I want based upon pretty much anything I want.

    I will concede that I am not allowed to use an idiom that has a particular meaning and then get butthurt when someone tells me that what I said doesn't mean what I think it means, or what I intended to mean.

    And that's why I've explained myself.

    I think it's kind of petty that you would fixate on that and harp on it for page after page after I explained to you what I actually did mean but, hey, we've all got our proclivities.

    I guess it's what you're deciding to call it.
    I'm calling it what it is.

    That's not an opinion, it's clearly what you're doing.
    “Now it is not good for the Christian’s health to hustle the Aryan brown,
    For the Christian riles, and the Aryan smiles and he weareth the Christian down;
    And the end of the fight is a tombstone white with the name of the late deceased,
    And the epitaph drear: “A Fool lies here who tried to hustle the East.”

  6. #176
    Filmmaker Lawyer Patriot
    Harshaw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:57 AM
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    29,592

    Re: Does the Roman Polanski affair affect your view of the French?[W:72]

    Quote Originally Posted by soot View Post
    And I'm not allowed to do that or something?

    I mean, I've made no secret of it.

    Far as I know I'm allowed to make any value judgements I want about any situation I want based upon pretty much anything I want.

    I will concede that I am not allowed to use an idiom that has a particular meaning and then get butthurt when someone tells me that what I said doesn't mean what I think it means, or what I intended to mean.

    And that's why I've explained myself.

    I think it's kind of petty that you would fixate on that and harp on it for page after page after I explained to you what I actually did mean but, hey, we've all got our proclivities.



    I'm calling it what it is.

    That's not an opinion, it's clearly what you're doing.
    OK, be that stubborn; this is only a "big" issue because you've been that way -- to the point of denying you said things you did. I told you what the problem was. I'm perfectly content to leave it as it is and let others decide, because clearly, this is fruitless.
    “Offing those rich pigs with their own forks and knives, and then eating a meal in the same room, far out! The Weathermen dig Charles Manson.”-- Bernadine Dohrn

  7. #177
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,124

    Re: Does the Roman Polanski affair affect your view of the French?[W:72]

    Quote Originally Posted by Carjosse View Post
    YOu mean now? He should not be extradited till the U.S. can agree to a life sentence instead of the death sentence. This has everything to do with the death penalty most countries that do not have the death penalty will not extradite people to countries with it.
    When was the last time we killed a pedophile? We give them like 13 years in jail then put them on a list when they get out.
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

  8. #178
    Heavy Hitter


    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Last Seen
    @
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    63,784

    Re: Does the Roman Polanski affair affect your view of the French?[W:72]

    Quote Originally Posted by Peter Grimm View Post
    Alight, but there's a time and place to diplomatically voice that concern. This case has nothing to do with the death penalty. Holding justice for the little girl and her family hostage hardly seems right.
    I agree. He's a convicted rapist who is not facing the death penalty. The French action here makes no sense because I know for a fact that they extradite people to the US.

    U.S. Fugitive Extradited From France - ABC News

  9. #179
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    The anals of history
    Last Seen
    07-25-15 @ 02:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    10,348

    Re: Does the Roman Polanski affair affect your view of the French?[W:72]

    Quote Originally Posted by calamity View Post
    I agree. He's a convicted rapist who is not facing the death penalty. The French action here makes no sense because I know for a fact that they extradite people to the US.

    U.S. Fugitive Extradited From France - ABC News
    Money and fame. That's gotta be why.

  10. #180
    Angry Former GOP Voter
    Fiddytree's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    25,702

    Re: Does the Roman Polanski affair affect your view of the French?[W:72]

    Quote Originally Posted by Ikari View Post
    When was the last time we killed a pedophile? We give them like 13 years in jail then put them on a list when they get out.
    We even put them on television to make NBC Universal more rich.
    Michael J Petrilli-"Is School Choice Enough?"-A response to the recent timidity of American conservatives toward education reform. https://nationalaffairs.com/publicat...-choice-enough

Page 18 of 22 FirstFirst ... 81617181920 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •