View Poll Results: Should Tipping be figured into a wait staff wage?

Voters
59. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, it is perfectly fine for wait staff to have a lower wage, they are making that up in tips.

    17 28.81%
  • No, It is the job of the management to pay their employees accordingly.

    22 37.29%
  • A combo of both.

    14 23.73%
  • I need a beer and I don't care...

    6 10.17%
Page 7 of 18 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 70 of 178

Thread: Wait staff, tipping, and Minimum Wage

  1. #61
    Guru
    Porchev's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    GA
    Last Seen
    01-08-17 @ 12:49 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    3,092

    Re: Wait staff, tipping, and Minimum Wage

    Quote Originally Posted by CanadaJohn View Post
    I second Maggie's comments on this one. I'd also add, can you imagine if all people in "service" positions were subject to tipping as part of their "wage package"? Many people who work in retail or government, as examples, would go hungry and homeless based on the level of "service" many provide. In some stores and government offices, it's almost a criminal offense to even ask some clerk for assistance.

    I seldom run into any restaurant wait staffer who's outright rude, disrespectful, or unhelpful and almost always get great assistance and service. Restauarant wait staff are terrific - but I have to say lots of restaurant customers, far more often, are far from terrific. What part of paying for a meal outside your home makes you feel you can treat those who serve you as sub-humans?
    I would love to see the Department of Motor Vehicles, post office, Veterans Administration, and others start a system that ties the quality of service to their pay immediately. Or somehow give them ownership in how everything runs. Oh to think about better service at places like that makes me smile.

  2. #62
    don't panic
    marduc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Last Seen
    10-22-17 @ 04:10 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    5,301

    Re: Wait staff, tipping, and Minimum Wage

    Quote Originally Posted by MaggieD View Post
    Waitstaff in high end restaurants make great money....easily over $60K a year.



    How Much Does a Waitress Make?
    Even in low end "turn and burn" casual restaurants I would strive to make $20 an hour in tips. Bartending at some places I was able to pull $1000 a week (hours sucked!!!). Fine dining was hit and miss. There would be some nights where I would make a $500 tip, then there were others where I would not break $100 for a weeknight. On weekends if I were to average it, it would have been about $150 - $175 a night. This was over a decade ago however.
    Law Enforcement Against Prohibition
    Drugs are bad, prohibition is worse

  3. #63
    Canadian Conservative
    CanadaJohn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:27 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    27,193

    Re: Wait staff, tipping, and Minimum Wage

    Quote Originally Posted by Porchev View Post
    I would love to see the Department of Motor Vehicles, post office, Veterans Administration, and others start a system that ties the quality of service to their pay immediately. Or somehow give them ownership in how everything runs. Oh to think about better service at places like that makes me smile.
    You're allowed to be a dreamer and fantasize this time of year!
    "Liberals claim to want to give a hearing to other views, but then are shocked and offended to discover that there are other views." William F. Buckley Jr.

  4. #64
    Guru
    Porchev's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    GA
    Last Seen
    01-08-17 @ 12:49 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    3,092

    Re: Wait staff, tipping, and Minimum Wage

    Quote Originally Posted by marduc View Post
    The true reaction?

    I go to a restaurant that is on a wait.. a server who knows me lets me know there is an empty section, and that he will pick up a table outside of his section to take care of me. Meanwhile everyone else is stuck hanging out in the lobby for another 30 minutes waiting to get a table.

    I watch as tables around me have empty drinks while I never do, I get free appetizers or desserts offered to me on occasion. I get informed when there is only one "special" left and it gets held for me. I get a little extra pour in drinks from the bar, I get the server asking the cooks to "hook up" that dish.

    The waiter lets me know happy hour has ended.. and asks if I or any of my guests wish to order drinks for later so that we can still get two for ones or doubles well after happy hour has "officially" ended

    I go to the bar and there are people lined three deep at the bar waiting on drinks.. the bartender sees me and immediately acknowledges me and asks me what I would like.. meanwhile everyone who has been at the bar waiting cranes their head and gives me a dirty look. I order a scotch.. watch him pour, while I am watching do the standard 1.25 oz "5 count" in my head.. then 6, 7.. ect.

    The list goes on and on..
    Good service is great and all, but I think the bartender needs counseling by management if he is giving away the alcohol in the form of extra pours. That can add up quick. And restaurants and bars fail pretty frequently because they are not making money, and giving products away contributes to that. The show, Bar Rescue, talks about that all the time.

  5. #65
    don't panic
    marduc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Last Seen
    10-22-17 @ 04:10 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    5,301

    Re: Wait staff, tipping, and Minimum Wage

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    I treated everyone like gold. It was my job. And everyone thought I treated them special, because, again, it was my job. I remembered everyone who came often, because it was, again, my job.
    Great. If this is so you are an exception. Did you by "default" bend the rules, or go several extra miles above and beyond for everyone?? The truth of the matter is that bad attitudes, and views that their job is a temporary job or a throw away job (waiting positions are a dime a dozen, they can just go up the road) are very common.
    Law Enforcement Against Prohibition
    Drugs are bad, prohibition is worse

  6. #66
    don't panic
    marduc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Last Seen
    10-22-17 @ 04:10 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    5,301

    Re: Wait staff, tipping, and Minimum Wage

    Quote Originally Posted by Porchev View Post
    Good service is great and all, but I think the bartender needs counseling by management if he is giving away the alcohol in the form of extra pours. That can add up quick. And restaurants and bars fail pretty frequently because they are not making money, and giving products away contributes to that. The show, Bar Rescue, talks about that all the time.
    Many places around here actually give bartenders a credit or a weekly allowance of "hospitality" drinks that they can offer. And being on both sides of the fence, I can tell you that a good bartender has ways to make sure that liquor costs stay in line (unfortunately sometimes it means that some other people may get short pours to offset this).
    Law Enforcement Against Prohibition
    Drugs are bad, prohibition is worse

  7. #67
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Wait staff, tipping, and Minimum Wage

    Quote Originally Posted by marduc View Post
    Great. If this is so you are an exception. Did you by "default" bend the rules, or go several extra miles above and beyond for everyone?? The truth of the matter is that bad attitudes, and views that their job is a temporary job or a throw away job (waiting positions are a dime a dozen, they can just go up the road) are very common.
    What I did, I did for everyone. And it is the attitude and not the pay that is the real issue. I wrote a story once called dime a dozen. It was about nursing assistants, but the it would work for any profession so seen.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  8. #68
    don't panic
    marduc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Last Seen
    10-22-17 @ 04:10 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    5,301

    Re: Wait staff, tipping, and Minimum Wage

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    What I did, I did for everyone. And it is the attitude and not the pay that is the real issue. I wrote a story once called dime a dozen. It was about nursing assistants, but the it would work for any profession so seen.
    Let me know when everyone else shares that same attitude.
    Law Enforcement Against Prohibition
    Drugs are bad, prohibition is worse

  9. #69
    Guru
    Porchev's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    GA
    Last Seen
    01-08-17 @ 12:49 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    3,092

    Re: Wait staff, tipping, and Minimum Wage

    Quote Originally Posted by marduc View Post
    Many places around here actually give bartenders a credit or a weekly allowance of "hospitality" drinks that they can offer. And being on both sides of the fence, I can tell you that a good bartender has ways to make sure that liquor costs stay in line (unfortunately sometimes it means that some other people may get short pours to offset this).
    Well if the amount of hospitality drinks is known and the liquor costs are being actively tracked that is ok then in my opinion. Except for the short pours part, people notice that too.

  10. #70
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Wait staff, tipping, and Minimum Wage

    Quote Originally Posted by marduc View Post
    Let me know when everyone else shares that same attitude.
    Most the people I know do.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

Page 7 of 18 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •