View Poll Results: Should Tipping be figured into a wait staff wage?

Voters
59. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, it is perfectly fine for wait staff to have a lower wage, they are making that up in tips.

    17 28.81%
  • No, It is the job of the management to pay their employees accordingly.

    22 37.29%
  • A combo of both.

    14 23.73%
  • I need a beer and I don't care...

    6 10.17%
Page 6 of 18 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast
Results 51 to 60 of 178

Thread: Wait staff, tipping, and Minimum Wage

  1. #51
    Sage


    MaggieD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Chicago Area
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    43,243
    Blog Entries
    43

    Re: Wait staff, tipping, and Minimum Wage

    Quote Originally Posted by marduc View Post
    Object all that you want, but it is more than just a way to get good service, it is a way to get great service.

    I use this to my benefit, and it is very common for me to get treatment well above and beyond what would be considered "good".
    Completely agree.

  2. #52
    Sage


    MaggieD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Chicago Area
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    43,243
    Blog Entries
    43

    Re: Wait staff, tipping, and Minimum Wage

    Quote Originally Posted by Tigger View Post
    Yes, it is fine. Waiting on tables is not intended to be a career path. It's a means to assist in supporting oneself before a career or supplementing income during that career.
    Waitstaff in high end restaurants make great money....easily over $60K a year.

    How much does a waitress make in a high-end restaurant?

    You will bring in great tips working at one of these establishments. A normal, busy, 8-hour weekend shift will make you about $160 to $240 per night.
    How Much Does a Waitress Make?

  3. #53
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Wait staff, tipping, and Minimum Wage

    Quote Originally Posted by shrubnose View Post
    Some people will always do a good job and some people will always do a lousy job.

    That is a fact of life.
    I quite agree.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  4. #54
    Guru
    Porchev's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    GA
    Last Seen
    01-08-17 @ 12:49 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    3,092

    Re: Wait staff, tipping, and Minimum Wage

    I agree with everything Maggie said in this thread, plus my wife used to be a waitress and she made good money even though she was paid $2 an hour plus tips.

    In my personal experience with going out to eat in Europe, it seems the service is typically better in the United States because of this tipping system. And I watch the TV shows Bar Rescue and Restaurant Impossible and in there they explain how important the wait staff service is to a restaurant. So if the wait staff pay is directly tied to their quality of service that is a good thing. Similar to the manager of the restaurant getting a quarterly or annual bonus based on how well the restaurant does gives he or she a big stake in how well everything runs.

  5. #55
    don't panic
    marduc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Last Seen
    10-22-17 @ 04:10 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    5,301

    Re: Wait staff, tipping, and Minimum Wage

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    The true reaction to your efforts. There are more subtle ways to mistreat the guest pushing. I just wonder.
    The true reaction?

    I go to a restaurant that is on a wait.. a server who knows me lets me know there is an empty section, and that he will pick up a table outside of his section to take care of me. Meanwhile everyone else is stuck hanging out in the lobby for another 30 minutes waiting to get a table.

    I watch as tables around me have empty drinks while I never do, I get free appetizers or desserts offered to me on occasion. I get informed when there is only one "special" left and it gets held for me. I get a little extra pour in drinks from the bar, I get the server asking the cooks to "hook up" that dish.

    The waiter lets me know happy hour has ended.. and asks if I or any of my guests wish to order drinks for later so that we can still get two for ones or doubles well after happy hour has "officially" ended

    I go to the bar and there are people lined three deep at the bar waiting on drinks.. the bartender sees me and immediately acknowledges me and asks me what I would like.. meanwhile everyone who has been at the bar waiting cranes their head and gives me a dirty look. I order a scotch.. watch him pour, while I am watching do the standard 1.25 oz "5 count" in my head.. then 6, 7.. ect.

    The list goes on and on..
    Law Enforcement Against Prohibition
    Drugs are bad, prohibition is worse

  6. #56
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Wait staff, tipping, and Minimum Wage

    Quote Originally Posted by marduc View Post
    The true reaction?

    I go to a restaurant that is on a wait.. a server who knows me lets me know there is an empty section, and that he will pick up a table outside of his section to take care of me. Meanwhile everyone else is stuck hanging out in the lobby for another 30 minutes waiting to get a table.

    I watch as tables around me have empty drinks while I never do, I get free appetizers or desserts offered to me on occasion. I get informed when there is only one "special" left and it gets held for me. I get a little extra pour in drinks from the bar, I get the server asking the cooks to "hook up" that dish.

    The waiter lets me know happy hour has ended.. and asks if I or any of my guests wish to order drinks for later so that we can still get two for ones or doubles well after happy hour has "officially ended"

    I go to the bar and there are people lined three deep at the bar waiting on drinks.. the bartender sees me and immediately acknowledges me and asks me what I would like.. meanwhile everyone who has been at the bar waiting cranes their head and gives me a dirty look. I order a scotch.. watch him pour, while I am watching do the standard 1.25 oz "5 count" in my head.. then 6, 7.. ect.

    The list goes on and on..
    Find it hard to believe, having done the job.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  7. #57
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    New England
    Last Seen
    05-01-14 @ 03:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    12,879

    Re: Wait staff, tipping, and Minimum Wage

    Quote Originally Posted by MaggieD View Post
    Waitstaff in high end restaurants make great money....easily over $60K a year.
    Not necessarily the same thing, but okay. I think we're talking more about your corner diner or Applebee's, but you are correct that people at the upper end can make a reasonable living doing this.

  8. #58
    don't panic
    marduc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Last Seen
    10-22-17 @ 04:10 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    5,301

    Re: Wait staff, tipping, and Minimum Wage

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    Find it hard to believe, having done the job.
    I have been on both sides of the fence as well. Both waiting in casual and fine dining, and bartending. I treated my good tippers like gold, and they came back and requested me when I was a waiter and they did get preferential treatmenr. Now that i am out of the business it is I who get treated like gold, and I do request certain waiters at places , and I do get very obvious preferential treatment.

    When I go to somewhere new I tip above and beyond as well.. When I go there again I am remembered.

    Scoff all that you wish - but the effect of tipping well is very real
    Last edited by marduc; 11-26-13 at 11:03 AM.
    Law Enforcement Against Prohibition
    Drugs are bad, prohibition is worse

  9. #59
    Canadian Conservative
    CanadaJohn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:24 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    27,185

    Re: Wait staff, tipping, and Minimum Wage

    Quote Originally Posted by MaggieD View Post
    I would support their having the same minimum wage as everyone else. But, tell you right now, I would still tip 15-20% on my check.

    Restaurant owners who think anyone can waitress are the ones that go out of business. Waiting tables takes training, talent and skill. That we've gotten into this situation where they make $3/hour or whatever and depend on tips just means that they haven't been valued, in my opinion.

    Restaurant Owners take note: Your waitstaff is the face of your restaurant. It doesn't just take a warm body to successfully wait tables. It's hard work. It requires excellent time management skills. And it takes someone who has real motivation to put the customer first.
    I second Maggie's comments on this one. I'd also add, can you imagine if all people in "service" positions were subject to tipping as part of their "wage package"? Many people who work in retail or government, as examples, would go hungry and homeless based on the level of "service" many provide. In some stores and government offices, it's almost a criminal offense to even ask some clerk for assistance.

    I seldom run into any restaurant wait staffer who's outright rude, disrespectful, or unhelpful and almost always get great assistance and service. Restauarant wait staff are terrific - but I have to say lots of restaurant customers, far more often, are far from terrific. What part of paying for a meal outside your home makes you feel you can treat those who serve you as sub-humans?
    "Liberals claim to want to give a hearing to other views, but then are shocked and offended to discover that there are other views." William F. Buckley Jr.

  10. #60
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Wait staff, tipping, and Minimum Wage

    Quote Originally Posted by marduc View Post
    I have been on both sides of the fence as well. Both waiting in casual and fine dining, and bartending. I treated my good tippers like gold, and they came back and requested me when I was a waiter and they did get preferential treatmenr. Now that i am out of the business it is I who get treated like gold, and I do request certain waiters at places , and I do get very obvious preferential treatment.

    When I go to somewhere new I tip above and beyond as well.. When I go there again I am remembered.

    Scoff all that you wish - but the effect of tipping well is very real
    I treated everyone like gold. It was my job. And everyone thought I treated them special, because, again, it was my job. I remembered everyone who came often, because it was, again, my job.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

Page 6 of 18 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •