View Poll Results: Should Tipping be figured into a wait staff wage?

Voters
59. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, it is perfectly fine for wait staff to have a lower wage, they are making that up in tips.

    17 28.81%
  • No, It is the job of the management to pay their employees accordingly.

    22 37.29%
  • A combo of both.

    14 23.73%
  • I need a beer and I don't care...

    6 10.17%
Page 15 of 18 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast
Results 141 to 150 of 178

Thread: Wait staff, tipping, and Minimum Wage

  1. #141
    Professor
    Phil_Osophy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Earth
    Last Seen
    11-11-14 @ 02:24 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    1,450

    Re: Wait staff, tipping, and Minimum Wage

    Quote Originally Posted by Gipper View Post
    I don't know how I can explain this any more simply.
    What? Explain how 4$ is equal to 7? There is no simple way to explain how 4 is equal to 7.

  2. #142
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    07-16-14 @ 01:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    47,571

    Re: Wait staff, tipping, and Minimum Wage

    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
    I worked in Fine Dining... top end restaurants.

    Santa Rosa Hotel | Wine Country Hotel | Sonoma Hotels

    ...and other restaurants.

    I was one of the Head Servers. Waited on Dustin Hoffman, Donald Sutherland and other famous actors, Joe Montana, Jerry Rice, Fabio, Steven Segal, politicians, tons of professional athletes actually, wealthy business owners, corporate execs, musicians, etc.

    I had one table one night... 18 people. I walked out with $600 dollars cash after tipping out. I worked as a bartender for a top end catering company in Laguna and Newport Beaches CA. Bartending to the rich and famous at their 10 million dollar plus homes sculpted into the cliffs over looking the Pacific Ocean... tough life I had. I would surf or mountain bike during the day, work the evenings and party the night. Repeat daily...
    Most waitstaff don't have it so good.

  3. #143
    Sit Nomine Digna
    Carjosse's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Montreal, QC, Canada
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:17 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    11,202

    Re: Wait staff, tipping, and Minimum Wage

    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
    I worked in Fine Dining... top end restaurants.

    Santa Rosa Hotel | Wine Country Hotel | Sonoma Hotels

    ...and other restaurants.

    I was one of the Head Servers. Waited on Dustin Hoffman, Donald Sutherland and other famous actors, Joe Montana, Jerry Rice, Fabio, Steven Segal, politicians, tons of professional athletes actually, wealthy business owners, corporate execs, musicians, etc.

    I had one table one night... 18 people. I walked out with $600 dollars cash after tipping out. I worked as a bartender for a top end catering company in Laguna and Newport Beaches CA. Bartending to the rich and famous at their 10 million dollar plus homes sculpted into the cliffs over looking the Pacific Ocean... tough life I had. I would surf or mountain bike during the day, work the evenings and party the night. Repeat daily...
    Did you have to grow a fancy moustache and speak with a French accent?

  4. #144
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Theoretical Physics Lab
    Last Seen
    01-06-15 @ 11:06 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    25,120

    Re: Wait staff, tipping, and Minimum Wage

    Quote Originally Posted by Phil_Osophy View Post
    What? Explain how 4$ is equal to 7? There is no simple way to explain how 4 is equal to 7.
    Say minimum wage is 7.50, which means that tipped employees will probably have a minimum wage of 3.75 (generally half). This means that the employer will probably pay 150 dollars a week in wages, assuming 40 hours. Normal wages would be 300 for non-tipped employees (7.50 x 40).

    The employee makes 100 dollars in tips that week. This brings his total compensation to 250 for the week. The employer is required by law to pay the employee an additional 50 dollars - the difference between his current wage and tips, and the federally mandated minimum wage. Tip or untipped, he cannot have an employee that makes under the federal minimum wage (barring exceptions we won't get into here).

    Now if we just got rid of a tipped position minimum wage, it doesn't matter. The employer would have to still pay 200 dollars to the employee, since he cannot make below FMW for that week. The tipped employee MW is completely useless and redundant.

  5. #145
    Professor
    Phil_Osophy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Earth
    Last Seen
    11-11-14 @ 02:24 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    1,450

    Re: Wait staff, tipping, and Minimum Wage

    Quote Originally Posted by Gipper View Post
    Say minimum wage is 7.50, which means that tipped employees will probably have a minimum wage of 3.75 (generally half). This means that the employer will probably pay 150 dollars a week in wages, assuming 40 hours. Normal wages would be 300 for non-tipped employees (7.50 x 40).

    The employee makes 100 dollars in tips that week. This brings his total compensation to 250 for the week. The employer is required by law to pay the employee an additional 50 dollars - the difference between his current wage and tips, and the federally mandated minimum wage. Tip or untipped, he cannot have an employee that makes under the federal minimum wage (barring exceptions we won't get into here).

    Now if we just got rid of a tipped position minimum wage, it doesn't matter. The employer would have to still pay 200 dollars to the employee, since he cannot make below FMW for that week. The tipped employee MW is completely useless and redundant.
    I think the minimum wage should be the same and gratuities should not be included in wages. Gratuities should be irrelevant and seperate from wages .

  6. #146
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Theoretical Physics Lab
    Last Seen
    01-06-15 @ 11:06 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    25,120

    Re: Wait staff, tipping, and Minimum Wage

    Quote Originally Posted by Phil_Osophy View Post
    I think the minimum wage should be the same and gratuities should not be included in wages. Gratuities should be irrelevant and seperate from wages .
    Yeah, have fun convincing the IRS that your earned income is "special" because it's a tip. They like to get chuckles at the expense of those people.

  7. #147
    Professor
    Phil_Osophy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Earth
    Last Seen
    11-11-14 @ 02:24 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    1,450

    Re: Wait staff, tipping, and Minimum Wage

    Quote Originally Posted by Gipper View Post
    Yeah, have fun convincing the IRS that your earned income is "special" because it's a tip. They like to get chuckles at the expense of those people.
    Are gifts taxed as well?

    Btw, **** the irs

  8. #148
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Theoretical Physics Lab
    Last Seen
    01-06-15 @ 11:06 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    25,120

    Re: Wait staff, tipping, and Minimum Wage

    Quote Originally Posted by Phil_Osophy View Post
    Are gifts taxed as well?
    In most cases, yes.

  9. #149
    Professor
    Phil_Osophy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Earth
    Last Seen
    11-11-14 @ 02:24 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    1,450

    Re: Wait staff, tipping, and Minimum Wage

    Quote Originally Posted by Gipper View Post
    In most cases, yes.
    Well then we should change the minimum wage laws for servers and make a law that specifically says that gratuities arent taxable.

  10. #150
    Sage


    MaggieD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Chicago Area
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    43,243
    Blog Entries
    43

    Re: Wait staff, tipping, and Minimum Wage

    Quote Originally Posted by radcen View Post
    Yes and no. You're point is good, and I agree with it. But it's only one side of the story.

    It does work for motivation, to an extent. The flip side is that tipping has evolved into an entitlement mentality. Even bad servers expect... virtually demand... good tips. Bad servers delude themselves into thinking they "deserve" good tips because of their crappy wages*.

    Too many customers now either don't know what is appropriate to tip or they overcompensate to the point that some feel 20%+ is "minimum" even for bad service. 20%+?!? As a minimum? Think about that. It's absurd.**

    Generally, the only people who say "it works" are those who rely on tips, and even then only because they know they get more overall with low wages and tips than they'd get with minimum wage and no tips. Even with that, they still whine about the odd person who stiffs them, and willfully ignore the bigger picture. It's a major clusterfluke for everybody else involved.

    No, it doesn't really 'work'. To work, it has to work for both sides.

    *- I believe minimum wage should prevail for even tipped employees, but that's another point for another post.
    **-I often tip more than 20%, but it shouldn't be considered a minimum.


    Most of these examples are also industries that have poor reputations for lying and deception. Sure, money motivates, especially when they know the likelihood of ever seeing you as a customer again, even if you are happy, is virtually zero.
    I have no problem with paying them a minimum wage. I think everyone should make minimum wage. Why should an employer save on minimum wage because waitstaff gets tips? Doesn't make any sense at all. I made that clear on my first post to this thread.

    I think it's important, though, that we don't think waiting tables is a minimum wage job...because it's not.

Page 15 of 18 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •