View Poll Results: Should Tipping be figured into a wait staff wage?

Voters
59. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, it is perfectly fine for wait staff to have a lower wage, they are making that up in tips.

    17 28.81%
  • No, It is the job of the management to pay their employees accordingly.

    22 37.29%
  • A combo of both.

    14 23.73%
  • I need a beer and I don't care...

    6 10.17%
Page 14 of 18 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast
Results 131 to 140 of 178

Thread: Wait staff, tipping, and Minimum Wage

  1. #131
    Phonetic Mnemonic
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:11 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,413

    Re: Wait staff, tipping, and Minimum Wage

    Quote Originally Posted by cpgrad08 View Post
    If it clearly posted and I still eat their I won't argue unless the waiter was just flat out rude and didn't care ( was only happen once) but I will argue and fight it if it isn't clear marked and they trying to sneak on it on to the bill. I personally believe tips should not be a automatic thing but should be earned.
    I agree.

    I usually only come across this when I dine in large groups.

    If they tack on a per-determined percentage as a so-called gratuity, I'll pay it. I won't like it, as it completely negates the very premise of a gratuity, but I'll pay it.

    I will not, however, pay one cent more. The service may have been stellar. Doesn't matter. If you (read: establishment) are rude enough to tell me what the gratuity will be, the that's what you'll get. Sometimes the server will skate because the service wasn't good, though that's rare, but more often the server loses out because I probably would have left more.
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

  2. #132
    Professor
    Phil_Osophy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Earth
    Last Seen
    11-11-14 @ 02:24 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    1,450

    Re: Wait staff, tipping, and Minimum Wage

    Agreed. Minimum wage should be universal. All laws that make it lower for wait staff need to be repealed

  3. #133
    Phonetic Mnemonic
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:11 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,413

    Re: Wait staff, tipping, and Minimum Wage

    Quote Originally Posted by Gipper View Post
    It takes me back to what Maggie said. If I have to tip 25% for respectable service, why in the f'n hell would I even want to go back?
    Key phrase: "have to".

    I have to agree with this sentiment. It's indicative of how far the entitlement mentality has crept in.
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

  4. #134
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Theoretical Physics Lab
    Last Seen
    01-06-15 @ 11:06 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    25,120

    Re: Wait staff, tipping, and Minimum Wage

    Quote Originally Posted by The Misanthrope View Post
    I'm all for paying all people a starvation wage and have them rely on tips to obtain a livable wage. I can't see why this shouldn't apply to all employees. If a bank manager or a managing director of a multi-billion dollar enterprise gives good service by all means leave them a tip commensurate with the service. If the Bubbalonia government hadn't left a tip, instead of tipping the banks trillions of dollars for their pathetic performance and blatant theft of the customer's wallet a few years ago, they would have tried a lot harder to please instead of ripping Americans off even worse.
    Try naming some jobs where customer service is 100% of the job. You won't look so foolish.

  5. #135
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Theoretical Physics Lab
    Last Seen
    01-06-15 @ 11:06 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    25,120

    Re: Wait staff, tipping, and Minimum Wage

    Quote Originally Posted by Phil_Osophy View Post
    Agreed. Minimum wage should be universal. All laws that make it lower for wait staff need to be repealed
    Um...you do realize that if a tipped position doesn't receive enough tips to bring the employee up to normal FMW, the employer has to provide the difference, right?

    There are no laws being broken.

  6. #136
    Professor
    Phil_Osophy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Earth
    Last Seen
    11-11-14 @ 02:24 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    1,450

    Re: Wait staff, tipping, and Minimum Wage

    Quote Originally Posted by Gipper View Post
    Um...you do realize that if a tipped position doesn't receive enough tips to bring the employee up to normal FMW, the employer has to provide the difference, right?

    There are no laws being broken.
    Either way. Minimum wage should be the same, regardless of how many tips one gets

  7. #137
    Sit Nomine Digna
    Carjosse's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Montreal, QC, Canada
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:15 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    11,197

    Re: Wait staff, tipping, and Minimum Wage

    I get paid minimum wage plus tips and they are a nice bonus but then again I am a barista.

  8. #138
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Theoretical Physics Lab
    Last Seen
    01-06-15 @ 11:06 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    25,120

    Re: Wait staff, tipping, and Minimum Wage

    Quote Originally Posted by Phil_Osophy View Post
    Either way. Minimum wage should be the same, regardless of how many tips one gets
    It is the same, for all intents and purposes.

    If anything, they should do away with the MW for tipped positions. It essentially serves no purpose.

  9. #139
    Professor
    Phil_Osophy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Earth
    Last Seen
    11-11-14 @ 02:24 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    1,450

    Re: Wait staff, tipping, and Minimum Wage

    Quote Originally Posted by Gipper View Post
    It is the same, for all intents and purposes.

    If anything, they should do away with the MW for tipped positions. It essentially serves no purpose.
    It isnt the same. You have workers making 4$ an hour.

  10. #140
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Theoretical Physics Lab
    Last Seen
    01-06-15 @ 11:06 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    25,120

    Re: Wait staff, tipping, and Minimum Wage

    Quote Originally Posted by Phil_Osophy View Post
    It isnt the same. You have workers making 4$ an hour.
    I don't know how I can explain this any more simply.

Page 14 of 18 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •