View Poll Results: Is it inevitable that millions of people will have to die due to population growth?

Voters
54. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    22 40.74%
  • No

    32 59.26%
Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast
Results 91 to 100 of 105

Thread: Is it inevitable that due to rapid population growth millions of people will die?

  1. #91
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Last Seen
    01-17-16 @ 05:09 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    9,122

    Re: Is it inevitable that due to rapid population growth millions of people will die?

    Quote Originally Posted by Slyhunter View Post
    Because the folks who shouldn't have kids, the ones who can't afford to feed and house them, are the ones who would not stop having kids. They are the problems. The ones who have fewer kids are the ones who can afford them. It's freaken backwards.
    I don't have kids either, but that doesn't mean a large number of other people can control themselves. Look at some of the poorest places in the world-people still have plenty of children. In fact, they tend to have more kids. Unless Chinese style forced population control is enforced, people will have more children, sex is too popular and as living beings our entire existence is largely devoted to reproduction. People only have fewer children when they have access to contraceptives and they are affluent enough to do something else with their time. That is not likely to be the case throughout the world as the population increases. Possibly a major overpopulation-caused disaster will slow people down, but I doubt it. More likely we will choose war.

  2. #92
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Last Seen
    01-17-16 @ 05:09 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    9,122

    Re: Is it inevitable that due to rapid population growth millions of people will die?

    Quote Originally Posted by Peter Grimm View Post
    Tell me this.... was India MORE OR LESS affluent 50 years ago when its population was less densely populated? 100 years ago? Etc....

    I'll answer for you. India is far, far more affluent today than at any time in recent history. So your argument falls flat on its face. There is no demonstrable link between population GROWTH and the growth of poverty.

    Just because you can point to a country with a high population and say "that country is poor" and show pictures of starving naked babies does not mean the high population is what got them there.

    In point of fact, India has been poor throughout most of recorded history. It was EVEN MORE POOR when it was less densely populated.
    I understand that humans are too complex to find a direct correlation between population and poverty. Factors include new technology, emigration and increased trade with outside areas. But just as I can't prove that their high population growth causes many of their problems, you can't prove that it lead to an increase in prosperity. India may be better off with a higher population, but I suspect, yet can't prove, that it would even more prosperous with a lower population.

  3. #93
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    The anals of history
    Last Seen
    07-25-15 @ 02:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    10,348

    Re: Is it inevitable that due to rapid population growth millions of people will die?

    Quote Originally Posted by Hard Truth View Post
    I understand that humans are too complex to find a direct correlation between population and poverty. Factors include new technology, emigration and increased trade with outside areas. But just as I can't prove that their high population growth causes many of their problems, you can't prove that it lead to an increase in prosperity. India may be better off with a higher population, but I suspect, yet can't prove, that it would even more prosperous with a lower population.
    I can agree with that. Isn't the technology boom a direct result of having more people around, though? Fewer people means fewer engineers to design all the cool stuff we have, fewer workers to build it, etc.

    I would argue that India's BIGGEST ASSET is its population. Get those people educated and.... look out world.

  4. #94
    Sage
    blackjack50's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Florida
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:10 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    25,386

    Is it inevitable that due to rapid population growth millions of people will ...

    Quote Originally Posted by Peter Grimm View Post
    I can agree with that. Isn't the technology boom a direct result of having more people around, though? Fewer people means fewer engineers to design all the cool stuff we have, fewer workers to build it, etc.

    I would argue that India's BIGGEST ASSET is its population. Get those people educated and.... look out world.
    Well I would look to world war 2 and the battle of nations when it comes to technological booms. The space race basically invented portable technology...small computers that can get into space because they are light. Satellites too. Faster cars? Jets? Transportation?

    But now there is a market to sell the same repurposed technology...for entertainment (games and movies). A larger population does give a higher profit to people selling technology, but that population must also be relatively affluent. A largerer population would be more difficult to educate, but it depends on the values placed on education by the culture.
    The Crowd is not the sum of its parts.

  5. #95
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    The anals of history
    Last Seen
    07-25-15 @ 02:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    10,348

    Re: Is it inevitable that due to rapid population growth millions of people will ...

    Quote Originally Posted by stonewall50 View Post
    Well I would look to world war 2 and the battle of nations when it comes to technological booms. The space race basically invented portable technology...small computers that can get into space because they are light. Satellites too. Faster cars? Jets? Transportation?

    But now there is a market to sell the same repurposed technology...for entertainment (games and movies). A larger population does give a higher profit to people selling technology, but that population must also be relatively affluent. A largerer population would be more difficult to educate, but it depends on the values placed on education by the culture.
    With respect to India, we're talking about a culture here who has a caste system. A friggin legalized underclass. Of course that significant subset of people are going to have a hard time getting educated. And the lower castes were large too, most of the population. In societies like that, education is limited to the elites: the few ruled the many, and had access to all the guns, all the gold, and, most importantly, all the books.

    A system like that is not something you break out of on a Wednesday and everything's fine by Saturday morning. Not at all like that. It takes years, maybe even centuries, to heal from that kind of systemic segregation.

    For an example, we need look no further than our own backyard. As much as I hate to say it, our own African American population is exhibit A. We actually had institutional slavery, and of course slaves were not allowed to read and write, and slavery was not abolished until the 1870's or so. Now, 150 years later, African Americans STILL have not caught up to the level of education and prosperity of their former masters.

    What does that say, then, for India's future? Or China's? It could take centuries for the kind of equality and dedication to everyone's well-being to permeate in to a society enough to have an effect.

  6. #96
    Irremovable Intelligence
    Removable Mind's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Austin, Texas
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:27 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    23,528

    Re: Is it inevitable that due to rapid population growth millions of people will ...

    Technology will most likely make immortality for humans possible. HOWEVER, the haves will be the only people to afford the technology. The have nots will, over time, simply become a dying class. They'll probably be studied in sociology classes, history classes...etc in future times.

  7. #97
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Michigan
    Last Seen
    01-28-15 @ 06:22 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    5,587
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Is it inevitable that due to rapid population growth millions of people will die?

    Quote Originally Posted by Hard Truth View Post
    Overpopulation is now a taboo topic among prominent politicians because it has been reframed by some activists as being racist. Also, earlier predictions of problems at our current level of population (or lower) proved to be inaccurate. However, the fact that things aren't much worse yet doesn't guarantee that unlimited population growth is going to remain benign. A disaster will need to happen before the issue is taken seriously again. I hope it won't be late at that point. I suspect humans can survive almost anything, but we may go back to something resembling the dark ages.
    Overpopulation may be a taboo subject, but it is the root of many problems. Like over-fishing for example. There is an excessive demand on a finite supply of devourable aquatic life. Or on fresh water. There are many more examples, but the point is painfully clear: the more of us there are the more of a strain there will be on the resources and materials we collectively rely on. Eventually, a breaking point will occur. I say that because science and philanthropy have not kept pace with population. And once resources become even scarcer, the forces of equilibrium will be too great to overcome.
    Last edited by Jango; 11-27-13 at 12:56 AM.

  8. #98
    Engineer

    RabidAlpaca's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    American in Europe
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:06 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    14,576

    Re: Is it inevitable that due to rapid population growth millions of people will die?

    Quote Originally Posted by Hard Truth View Post
    Why can't we have voluntary population control instead? Having fewer children is already the preference of people who can access birth control and don't depend on their children to survive.
    We do. Lots of people are deciding they don't need little screaming brats to have a nice life.

    Which is precisely why we don't need to go around killing people like neo-malthusians want.
    Quote Originally Posted by LowDown View Post
    I've got to say that it is shadenfreudalicious to see the rich and famous fucquewads on the coast suffering from the fires.

  9. #99
    Sage
    AliHajiSheik's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    6,385

    Re: Is it inevitable that due to rapid population growth millions of people will die?

    It has probably been said, but I think it is inevitable that everyone will die.

  10. #100
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Last Seen
    01-17-16 @ 05:09 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    9,122

    Re: Is it inevitable that due to rapid population growth millions of people will die?

    Quote Originally Posted by AliHajiSheik View Post
    It has probably been said, but I think it is inevitable that everyone will die.
    Everyone dies, but the quantity of people alive at the same time impacts our quality of life.

Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •