View Poll Results: Should cigarette smoking be allowed in some bars & restaurants?

Voters
125. You may not vote on this poll
  • I think ALL smoking restrictions should be lifted.

    26 20.80%
  • Yes, some bars/restaurants should be set aside to allow smoking.

    37 29.60%
  • No, keep it is it is now.

    51 40.80%
  • Other

    11 8.80%
Page 37 of 40 FirstFirst ... 273536373839 ... LastLast
Results 361 to 370 of 399

Thread: Should cigarette smoking be allowed in some bars & restaurants?

  1. #361
    Maquis Admiral
    maquiscat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:49 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    7,963

    Re: Should cigarette smoking be allowed in some bars & restaurants?

    Quote Originally Posted by Amandi View Post
    And I do that. I dont go to Chic-fil-a or buy Jelly Belly jelly beans, I am not telling any government force to do anything about that. Smoking affects others, I would have no problem banning it entirely.
    Smoking only affects others when they are near it. Because you don't want to have to take the time and effort to be informed if it is occurring in a business or because you want to shop somewhere where it is occurring, you (this is the generalized you of the anti-smoking crowd) instead get laws passed to impose on other people's rights to do as they wish with their private businesses. It's really that simple.

  2. #362
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,124

    Re: Should cigarette smoking be allowed in some bars & restaurants?

    Quote Originally Posted by maquiscat View Post
    Smoking only affects others when they are near it. Because you don't want to have to take the time and effort to be informed if it is occurring in a business or because you want to shop somewhere where it is occurring, you (this is the generalized you of the anti-smoking crowd) instead get laws passed to impose on other people's rights to do as they wish with their private businesses. It's really that simple.
    Only if you're hanging around smokers, which wouldn't be the case if you avoided establishments that would allow smoking.
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

  3. #363
    Sage
    Kreton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Colorado Springs
    Last Seen
    11-13-17 @ 08:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    6,118

    Re: Should cigarette smoking be allowed in some bars & restaurants?

    Quote Originally Posted by Amandi View Post
    And I do that. I dont go to Chic-fil-a or buy Jelly Belly jelly beans, I am not telling any government force to do anything about that. Smoking affects others, I would have no problem banning it entirely.
    A business should be allowed to choose what they allow in their establishment. If people dont like it, they dont have to shop their. Consumers influence will drive what is important to people. If most Americans are offended by smoking and refuse to shop at my store simply because of that, I am likely to make changes. Allowing the government to state that severely limits freedoms. Because it is best for society should the government be allowed to tell you what church to go to? What foods you can eat? What car you can drive? Do you think that you should be allowed to make any decisions of your own?
    “Most people do not listen with the intent to understand; they listen with the intent to reply.”
    Stephen R. Covey


  4. #364
    Guru

    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Last Seen
    07-04-15 @ 04:17 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    3,032

    Re: Should cigarette smoking be allowed in some bars & restaurants?

    Quote Originally Posted by Kreton View Post
    A business should be allowed to choose what they allow in their establishment. If people dont like it, they dont have to shop their. Consumers influence will drive what is important to people. If most Americans are offended by smoking and refuse to shop at my store simply because of that, I am likely to make changes. Allowing the government to state that severely limits freedoms. Because it is best for society should the government be allowed to tell you what church to go to? What foods you can eat? What car you can drive? Do you think that you should be allowed to make any decisions of your own?
    Businesses can't serve drinks to underage patrons

    Businesses can't refuse to serve someone because of their ethnic background

    Businesses have to maintain a certain standard of cleanliness in the kitchen

    Businesses have to collect sales taxes

    AND - businesses can't allow smoking indoors because of the impact of second hand smoke.

    I don't know why anyone has a problem with this. Or maybe you also think the other restrictions are unreasonable as well?

    re what car you can drive - the cars you drive have to pass certain safety standards; the car companies can't sell you an unsafe car. Is this an unreasonable restriction on their private business? I don't think so. Some of you might.

    There is no inherent right to own a business; you have to follow the rules.

  5. #365
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,124

    Re: Should cigarette smoking be allowed in some bars & restaurants?

    Quote Originally Posted by paddymcdougall View Post
    Businesses can't serve drinks to underage patrons

    Businesses can't refuse to serve someone because of their ethnic background

    Businesses have to maintain a certain standard of cleanliness in the kitchen

    Businesses have to collect sales taxes

    AND - businesses can't allow smoking indoors because of the impact of second hand smoke.

    I don't know why anyone has a problem with this. Or maybe you also think the other restrictions are unreasonable as well?

    re what car you can drive - the cars you drive have to pass certain safety standards; the car companies can't sell you an unsafe car. Is this an unreasonable restriction on their private business? I don't think so. Some of you might.

    There is no inherent right to own a business; you have to follow the rules.
    Drinking underage is generally illegal
    Protected classes are protected classes due to historic trends
    Health and safety is required for government in areas consumers are unlikely to see to ensure proper food handling. If it were common to tour the kitchen of a restaurant before sitting down, it wouldn't be necesseary
    Government loves taxes
    Smoking is a legal activity and barring underage smoking, it should be up to the property owner as to whether or not they wish to sell alcohol.

    I don't know why anyone wants to use government force against the free exercise of rights when they already had previously so many options available to them.
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

  6. #366
    Sage
    Kreton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Colorado Springs
    Last Seen
    11-13-17 @ 08:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    6,118

    Re: Should cigarette smoking be allowed in some bars & restaurants?

    Quote Originally Posted by paddymcdougall View Post
    Businesses can't serve drinks to underage patrons

    Businesses can't refuse to serve someone because of their ethnic background

    Businesses have to maintain a certain standard of cleanliness in the kitchen

    Businesses have to collect sales taxes

    AND - businesses can't allow smoking indoors because of the impact of second hand smoke.

    I don't know why anyone has a problem with this. Or maybe you also think the other restrictions are unreasonable as well?

    re what car you can drive - the cars you drive have to pass certain safety standards; the car companies can't sell you an unsafe car. Is this an unreasonable restriction on their private business? I don't think so. Some of you might.

    There is no inherent right to own a business; you have to follow the rules.
    Honestly yes i do have a problem with most of those things. I dont think the government should be allowed to create laws unless those laws are designed to specifically protect other citizens rights. Murder, assault, theft, ect should illegal and the state/government should have the power to punish people who violate the rights of others. Beyond that it is an abuse of power. I get that some people are too weak willed to make their own decisions, but that doesn't make it right.
    “Most people do not listen with the intent to understand; they listen with the intent to reply.”
    Stephen R. Covey


  7. #367
    Guru

    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Last Seen
    07-04-15 @ 04:17 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    3,032

    Re: Should cigarette smoking be allowed in some bars & restaurants?

    Quote Originally Posted by Kreton View Post
    Honestly yes i do have a problem with most of those things. I dont think the government should be allowed to create laws unless those laws are designed to specifically protect other citizens rights. Murder, assault, theft, ect should illegal and the state/government should have the power to punish people who violate the rights of others. Beyond that it is an abuse of power. I get that some people are too weak willed to make their own decisions, but that doesn't make it right.

    At least you're consistent, even if I disagree with you!

  8. #368
    Sage
    Bodhisattva's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    New Zealand
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:17 AM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    63,861

    Re: Should cigarette smoking be allowed in some bars & restaurants?

    Quote Originally Posted by maquiscat View Post
    The one thing we'll probably agree on is the disgustingness of smoking. With sporting events, about the only restriction I'd go with is the immediate vicinity of the playing area.
    That is what I meant. Outside the stadium or in the lobbies is fine. There were times when some person would light up in the stands as we were warming up or competing. That was not acceptable.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have pooped in public, even in public neighborhoods.
    Quote Originally Posted by Absentglare View Post
    You can successfully wipe your ass with toilet paper, that doesn't mean that you should.

  9. #369
    Guru

    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Last Seen
    07-04-15 @ 04:17 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    3,032

    Re: Should cigarette smoking be allowed in some bars & restaurants?

    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
    That is what I meant. Outside the stadium or in the lobbies is fine. There were times when some person would light up in the stands as we were warming up or competing. That was not acceptable.

    I heard in the old days cyclists who competed in Velodromes would smoke before the event; that was because there was so much smoke from spectators in the event building that if they didn't smoke, they would be overwhelmed from the fumes.

    Don't know if it's true or not, heard it from a cycling fan.

    So glad now that when I go to a sporting event I don't have to worry about the fan in front of me lighting up and sending the smoke my way

  10. #370
    Sage
    Bodhisattva's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    New Zealand
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:17 AM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    63,861

    Re: Should cigarette smoking be allowed in some bars & restaurants?

    Quote Originally Posted by paddymcdougall View Post
    I heard in the old days cyclists who competed in Velodromes would smoke before the event; that was because there was so much smoke from spectators in the event building that if they didn't smoke, they would be overwhelmed from the fumes.

    Don't know if it's true or not, heard it from a cycling fan.

    So glad now that when I go to a sporting event I don't have to worry about the fan in front of me lighting up and sending the smoke my way
    No idea about the cycling thing... I can only speak about my experiences competing. IF it was in Europe I bet it was pretty bad smoke.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have pooped in public, even in public neighborhoods.
    Quote Originally Posted by Absentglare View Post
    You can successfully wipe your ass with toilet paper, that doesn't mean that you should.

Page 37 of 40 FirstFirst ... 273536373839 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •