View Poll Results: Should cigarette smoking be allowed in some bars & restaurants?

Voters
125. You may not vote on this poll
  • I think ALL smoking restrictions should be lifted.

    26 20.80%
  • Yes, some bars/restaurants should be set aside to allow smoking.

    37 29.60%
  • No, keep it is it is now.

    51 40.80%
  • Other

    11 8.80%
Page 26 of 40 FirstFirst ... 16242526272836 ... LastLast
Results 251 to 260 of 399

Thread: Should cigarette smoking be allowed in some bars & restaurants?

  1. #251
    Guru
    Smeagol's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Last Seen
    02-19-17 @ 11:35 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,147

    Re: Should cigarette smoking be allowed in some bars & restaurants?

    Quote Originally Posted by clownboy View Post
    Coal power still accounts for 42% of the electricity in the US.



    If you live out in the Western states you're far less likely to ever see a coal plant.
    I live 5 miles from a coal burning power plant. If cigarette smokers were required to smoke at least 5 miles away from me, I'd never complain.
    Having opinions all over the map is a good sign of a person capable of autonomous thinking. Felix -2011

  2. #252
    Sage
    Navy Pride's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Pacific NW
    Last Seen
    05-07-15 @ 02:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    39,883

    Re: Should cigarette smoking be allowed in some bars & restaurants?

    Cigarette smoking kills thousands every year.....It should be banned everywhere.
    "God Bless Our Troops in Harms Way."

  3. #253
    Professor
    Phil_Osophy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Earth
    Last Seen
    11-11-14 @ 02:24 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    1,450

    Re: Should cigarette smoking be allowed in some bars & restaurants?

    Quote Originally Posted by Navy Pride View Post
    Cigarette smoking kills thousands every year.....It should be banned everywhere.
    Being unarmed kills thousands every year. Being unarmed should be banned.

  4. #254
    Phonetic Mnemonic
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:46 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,407

    Re: Should cigarette smoking be allowed in some bars & restaurants?

    Quote Originally Posted by iguanaman View Post
    They came in expecting food not cancer causing smoke. If the place was called "The Cancer Castle" maybe you'd have a point.
    If smoking were legally allowed, they would be seriously naive and mistaken to expect a smoke-free environment. Case dismissed.
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

  5. #255
    Phonetic Mnemonic
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:46 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,407

    Re: Should cigarette smoking be allowed in some bars & restaurants?

    Quote Originally Posted by Navy Pride View Post
    Cigarette smoking kills thousands every year.....It should be banned everywhere.
    That's mighty liberal of you to want to protect people from themselves.
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

  6. #256
    Sage
    Hatuey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:42 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    42,025

    Re: Should cigarette smoking be allowed in some bars & restaurants?

    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisL View Post
    Meh, I don't think I'm buying that. I've never heard that there was a huge problem with smoker starting fires in restaurants. I'm pretty sure it's because of employees contracting some kind of lung disease from second-hand smoke exposure.

    http://publichealthlawcenter.org/sit...ities-2004.pdf
    You don't have to buy it. There are thousands of fires started yearly thanks to irresponsible smokers.
    I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality. - MLK

  7. #257
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    07-16-14 @ 01:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    47,571

    Re: Should cigarette smoking be allowed in some bars & restaurants?

    Quote Originally Posted by Hatuey View Post
    You don't have to buy it. There are thousands of fires started yearly thanks to irresponsible smokers.
    Yes, but show me the statistics of smokers starting fires in restaurants.

  8. #258
    American
    cpgrad08's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Lakewood,WA
    Last Seen
    10-18-17 @ 07:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    5,388
    Blog Entries
    10

    Re: Should cigarette smoking be allowed in some bars & restaurants?

    Quote Originally Posted by Navy Pride View Post
    Cigarette smoking kills thousands every year.....It should be banned everywhere.
    Very liberal thinking there Navy.

  9. #259
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    07-16-14 @ 01:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    47,571

    Re: Should cigarette smoking be allowed in some bars & restaurants?

    Quote Originally Posted by cpgrad08 View Post
    Very liberal thinking there Navy.
    Well, it does go to show that the government doesn't care at all about the people. They only care about the money.

  10. #260
    Sage
    Hatuey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:42 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    42,025

    Re: Should cigarette smoking be allowed in some bars & restaurants?

    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisL View Post
    Yes, but show me the statistics of smokers starting fires in restaurants.
    Why does it matter? The possibility of an accidental fire which isn't covered by insurance is enough of an incentive to disallow it at a bar. It's a preventative ban not one based on statistics. If anything, it's more than likely that the reason cigarettes are banned is the possibility of an accident as opposed to statistical evidence based on it. There's less evidence of people dying from 2nd hand smoke than there is of accidental fires started by misplaced cigarettes.

    http://www.cdc.gov/tobacco/data_stat...general_facts/

    Approximately 7,500–15,000 hospitalizations annually in the United States
    An estimated 150,000–300,000 new cases of bronchitis and pneumonia annually
    http://www.cdc.gov/tobacco/data_stat...a/cig_smoking/

    An estimated 43.8 million people, or 19.0% of all adults (aged 18 years or older), in the United States smoke cigarettes.1 Cigarette smoking is more common among men (21.6%) than women (16.5%).1
    So you have less than 1% of the people around smokers actually being harmed from 2nd hand smoke

    vs.

    https://www.gov.uk/government/news/s...ire-fatalities

    Smokers are being reminded today that careless disposal of cigarettes is the single biggest killer in house fires. Habits such as smoking whilst drinking alcohol in the home or lighting up in bed are responsible for one in three (36 per cent) of all accidental house fires resulting in deaths.
    36% of all accidental house fires started by smokers.

    Yep, I'd say that's a good enough reason to ban smoking if I ran a bar.
    Last edited by Hatuey; 11-23-13 at 11:42 PM.
    I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality. - MLK

Page 26 of 40 FirstFirst ... 16242526272836 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •