View Poll Results: Should cigarette smoking be allowed in some bars & restaurants?

Voters
125. You may not vote on this poll
  • I think ALL smoking restrictions should be lifted.

    26 20.80%
  • Yes, some bars/restaurants should be set aside to allow smoking.

    37 29.60%
  • No, keep it is it is now.

    51 40.80%
  • Other

    11 8.80%
Page 17 of 40 FirstFirst ... 7151617181927 ... LastLast
Results 161 to 170 of 399

Thread: Should cigarette smoking be allowed in some bars & restaurants?

  1. #161
    Global Moderator
    Truth will set you free
    digsbe's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Metro Washington DC
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:07 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    18,956

    Re: Should cigarette smoking be allowed in some bars & restaurants?

    I think it should be up to the owner, if they want it to be a smoking bar/restaurant then let them do so. Just put up a sign, if you're concerned about second hand smoke then don't go there, if you do want to smoke or it doesn't bother you then feel free to go. I hate smoking, it's unhealthy and terrible for your health. However, it's legal and smokers should be allowed to have establishments for them to smoke socially.
    When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the loser. -Socrates
    Tired of elections being between the lesser of two evils.

  2. #162
    Sit Nomine Digna
    Carjosse's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Montreal, QC, Canada
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:16 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    11,189

    Re: Should cigarette smoking be allowed in some bars & restaurants?

    Quote Originally Posted by vesper View Post
    No you are wrong sugar. If a substance is deemed legal the federal government has no constitutional right to hinder a business owner in making decisions whether to allow smoking or not. State governments take such things to the vote of the people. They often forget it is a legal substance. If they are so damn against it why do they keep voting for all those increases in sin taxes? They as states actually have the right to ban the substance if they wish. But you don't see the hypocrites do that now do you? In fact most of those who vote for increases in the sin tax and bans on smoking in public are social conservatives. And if you were to take a poll within their congregations who often frown on the use of tobacco and alcohol you would find a good portion of the congregations taking prescription drugs to ease their pain and anxieties. I call that hypocrites what about you?
    We tax it to stop hope using it, for example I believe New Zealand is slowly increasing cigarette taxes to 100% in an effort to eradicate smoking. I don't knwo about where you live but smoking is frowned upon by almost every group on both sides of the political spectrum, except maybe the older generation (65+). I don't care if you smoke weed, weed is fine cigarettes are not.
    Last edited by Carjosse; 11-22-13 at 12:48 AM.

  3. #163
    Sage

    vesper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Midwest
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:13 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    13,855

    Re: Should cigarette smoking be allowed in some bars & restaurants?

    Quote Originally Posted by Carjosse View Post
    We tax it to stop hope using it, for example I believe New Zealand is slowly increasing cigarette taxes to 100% in an effort to eradicate smoking. I don't knwo about where you live but smoking is frowned upon by almost every group on both sides of the political spectrum, except maybe the older generation (65+). I don't care if you smoke weed but if you smoke cigarettes most of society now frowns upon that.
    Well a lot of states here in the U.S. are doing the same. And there are many who do not apply the same standards to smoking weed to cigarettes which makes not a damn bit of sense. Cigarettes do not alter your ability to function. This is all due to a consorted effort by those who think they must charge forth and make the decisions for all what is best for them. It is the nanny state effect. If you are one of them, you need to be stopped because you rob people of their rights.

  4. #164
    Sit Nomine Digna
    Carjosse's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Montreal, QC, Canada
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:16 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    11,189

    Re: Should cigarette smoking be allowed in some bars & restaurants?

    Quote Originally Posted by vesper View Post
    Well a lot of states here in the U.S. are doing the same. And there are many who do not apply the same standards to smoking weed to cigarettes which makes not a damn bit of sense. Cigarettes do not alter your ability to function. This is all due to a consorted effort by those who think they must charge forth and make the decisions for all what is best for them. It is the nanny state effect. If you are one of them, you need to be stopped because you rob people of their rights.
    I'm goign to get addicted and eventually get lung cancer form marijuana as marijuana is not a public health risk. The current restrictions should apply but it does not need to be regulated past that and I would allow that in bars (coffee shops) and the advertising ban on tobacco would not apply to weed either.

  5. #165
    Phonetic Mnemonic
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:59 PM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,403

    Re: Should cigarette smoking be allowed in some bars & restaurants?

    Quote Originally Posted by Carjosse View Post
    We tax it to stop hope using it, for example I believe New Zealand is slowly increasing cigarette taxes to 100% in an effort to eradicate smoking. I don't knwo about where you live but smoking is frowned upon by almost every group on both sides of the political spectrum, except maybe the older generation (65+). I don't care if you smoke weed, weed is fine cigarettes are not.
    That's what they say. Part of me believes that they actually believe it to some extent.

    But... fact is they like the money, and have created and/or expanded government programs and bureaucracies... not all of which are smoking-related... that are funded by this tax money. If push comes to shove, they'd rather have their programs than healthy people not paying taxes.
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

  6. #166
    Sage
    Crosscheck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:04 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    6,474

    Re: Should cigarette smoking be allowed in some bars & restaurants?

    Quote Originally Posted by digsbe View Post
    I think it should be up to the owner, if they want it to be a smoking bar/restaurant then let them do so. Just put up a sign, if you're concerned about second hand smoke then don't go there, if you do want to smoke or it doesn't bother you then feel free to go. I hate smoking, it's unhealthy and terrible for your health. However, it's legal and smokers should be allowed to have establishments for them to smoke socially.
    I agree with you that it should be up to the owner. But seeing as I simply can't stand the smell of cigarettes and have disdain for someone who can't go 60 minutes without a cigarette I really can't scrape together much sympathy for the smokers unable to light up in the cafe.

  7. #167
    Educator Amandi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Delaware
    Last Seen
    06-19-15 @ 02:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    905
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Should cigarette smoking be allowed in some bars & restaurants?

    Quote Originally Posted by Oozlefinch View Post
    What about perfume? I have allergies, and perfumes set it off so I want a law passed that bans all perfumes, colognes, or other forms of "scent hazards".

    That has just as much validity as your claims do.

    And if you would notice what 90% of us are saying, it should be the choice of the business owner, not a "free for all with smoking allowed anywhere". If you do not smoke, simply pick a location that does not allow it.

    See, it is that simple!

    And if you think I am joking, I am not. Sausalito is already a "fragrance free zone", with no scents allowed in public venues. And many communities have laws of varying degrees, with New Hampshire trying to pass one now.

    Businesses, governments ban scents to accommodate allergy sufferers

    And these people can claim just as much of a right to ban scents as you do tobacco. So, do we just ban everything?
    If perfumes started sickening enough people then, yes, they should be banned too. Where I was raised, before the law, there were 0 resteraunts and bars that were smoke free.

  8. #168
    Educator Amandi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Delaware
    Last Seen
    06-19-15 @ 02:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    905
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Should cigarette smoking be allowed in some bars & restaurants?

    Quote Originally Posted by lizzie View Post
    Ok, dueling reports (I am even using FOX news):

    Secondhand smoke kills 42,000 nonsmokers a year in US | Fox News

  9. #169
    Educator Amandi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Delaware
    Last Seen
    06-19-15 @ 02:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    905
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Should cigarette smoking be allowed in some bars & restaurants?

    Quote Originally Posted by vesper View Post
    No it doesn't make his argument invalid. You want a smoke free home then you have that choice. You want to eat in restaurants that are smoke free then you have that choice too. But what you don't have is the right to force on others your choices. When you cross that line you are violating their rights and their choices. If a business owner wants to allow smoking then there is no good reason for you to give a flying flip because you need not enter and give your business elsewhere. If workers are offended by an establishment that allows smoking they can move on and seek employment in a place that is smoke free. If parents smoke it is none of your damn business. Take care of your own business and keep your nose out of everyone else's.
    You have your opinion and I have mine. I would have no problem banning smoking in public period. I also think a parent has NO right to put their children at risk of life threatening illnesses.
    Last edited by Amandi; 11-22-13 at 03:29 AM.

  10. #170
    Resident Martian ;)
    PirateMk1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    California
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:16 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Private
    Posts
    9,922

    Re: Should cigarette smoking be allowed in some bars & restaurants?

    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisL View Post
    If a restaurant owner wants his or her restaurant to be smoke free, then it really isn't an imposition.
    And if they want smokers in their restaurant? Then what? Screw them? My previous comment wasn't just about smoking and restaurants it was about other impositions as well. Tolerance is a TWO way street.
    Semper Fidelis, Semper Liber.
    I spit at lots of people through my computer screen. Not only does it "teach them a lesson" but it keeps the screen clean and shiny.
    Stolen fair and square from the Capt. Courtesey himself.

Page 17 of 40 FirstFirst ... 7151617181927 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •