View Poll Results: Should cigarette smoking be allowed in some bars & restaurants?

Voters
125. You may not vote on this poll
  • I think ALL smoking restrictions should be lifted.

    26 20.80%
  • Yes, some bars/restaurants should be set aside to allow smoking.

    37 29.60%
  • No, keep it is it is now.

    51 40.80%
  • Other

    11 8.80%
Page 15 of 40 FirstFirst ... 5131415161725 ... LastLast
Results 141 to 150 of 399

Thread: Should cigarette smoking be allowed in some bars & restaurants?

  1. #141
    Professor
    Keridan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Raleigh NC
    Last Seen
    08-19-17 @ 12:10 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    1,451

    Re: Should cigarette smoking be allowed in some bars & restaurants?

    If only people had the power to decide for themselves. I know that it is a radical thought, but I like to dream.

    This is a huge failure on the part of government. The minority of people who don't smoke and felt the need to whimper and moan about it always had the option to go to another place of business during the many decades where smokers weren't punished. Many businesses even found a a niche catering to those cry babies. Turns out, they didn't need to be coddled.

    Unfortunately, the government decided that it knew better than everyone who had found their own solutions. It decided that the freedoms should be stripped and they could decide for everyone how to run a business and their lives.

    I understand government properties and places that couldn't be avoided, but a blanket ban is an overreach of power. Since there was always the option for a consumer to take their money elsewhere, no one's rights were being infringed until these laws were enstated.

    Unfortunately, dozens of examples could be cited of this type of completely unnecessary government excess of control and we will never see our freedoms returned, but at least I have the right to be upset and complain (for now).
    Omniscience just sucks without omnipotence!

  2. #142
    Sage
    Oozlefinch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    State of Jefferson
    Last Seen
    12-12-17 @ 07:28 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    11,363

    Re: Should cigarette smoking be allowed in some bars & restaurants?

    Quote Originally Posted by Amandi View Post
    Second hand smoke makes your argument invalid.
    What about perfume? I have allergies, and perfumes set it off so I want a law passed that bans all perfumes, colognes, or other forms of "scent hazards".

    That has just as much validity as your claims do.

    And if you would notice what 90% of us are saying, it should be the choice of the business owner, not a "free for all with smoking allowed anywhere". If you do not smoke, simply pick a location that does not allow it.

    See, it is that simple!

    And if you think I am joking, I am not. Sausalito is already a "fragrance free zone", with no scents allowed in public venues. And many communities have laws of varying degrees, with New Hampshire trying to pass one now.

    Businesses, governments ban scents to accommodate allergy sufferers

    And these people can claim just as much of a right to ban scents as you do tobacco. So, do we just ban everything?
    War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. - John Stuart Mill

  3. #143
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:12 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,703

    Re: Should cigarette smoking be allowed in some bars & restaurants?

    I hate smoking. my father-a cigar smoker-died of a MRSA he contracted during his cancer treatment. My mom-a cigarette smoker died of a terrible combination of emphysema, COPD and Pneumonia after beating throat cancer. While I could tolerate the smell as a kid, my sinuses lock shut around the crap now. A pub near a shop my wife ran had good food but I hated the fact that it was a smoking establishment. Ohio passed a law that basically banned smoking in such places. Now I can eat there all the time. Now I can go to my favorite TGIF and not worry about being near the smoking section

    however, that being said, I think owners of diners or bars or restaurants should have the right to have smoking in their establishments. If I don't want to eat there, I don't.
    I am sick of the nanny state BS



  4. #144
    Sage
    Oozlefinch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    State of Jefferson
    Last Seen
    12-12-17 @ 07:28 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    11,363

    Re: Should cigarette smoking be allowed in some bars & restaurants?

    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisL View Post
    The only problem is that the restaurants who don't allow smoking will lose a customer base, so more than likely there would be very few nonsmoking establishments.
    If the zealots are correct, 80% of the people would flock to those non-smoking places - and the ones that allow smoking will be virtual ghost towns that nobody will go to and nobody will work in.
    War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. - John Stuart Mill

  5. #145
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    07-16-14 @ 01:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    47,571

    Re: Should cigarette smoking be allowed in some bars & restaurants?

    Quote Originally Posted by Oozlefinch View Post
    If the zealots are correct, 80% of the people would flock to those non-smoking places - and the ones that allow smoking will be virtual ghost towns that nobody will go to and nobody will work in.
    You have a point. I don't know. I'm a nonsmoker and would rather eat at a restaurant where there isn't smoking, but at the same time I wouldn't necessarily NOT eat at a restaurant where there was smoking if it was convenient or whatever. I don't know what would happen.

  6. #146
    feckless bon vivant

    radioman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    lotusland
    Last Seen
    12-13-17 @ 08:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    3,761

    Re: Should cigarette smoking be allowed in some bars & restaurants?

    Quote Originally Posted by lizzie View Post
    Okay.
    I've heard the same thing.
    Truthfully, I think a lot of the anti-smoking sentiment comes from former smokers.
    A whiff of smokes gets 'em jonesing.
    Having said that, some people are allergic to smoke.
    Common courtesy says smoking should be done outside.
    No matter how cynical I become toward politicians, it's never enough.

  7. #147
    Phonetic Mnemonic
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:06 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,413

    Re: Should cigarette smoking be allowed in some bars & restaurants?

    Some random thoughts:

    1) I just don't buy into the "but what about the employees who have no choice?" argument. They DO have a choice. They have the same choice as customers do. And the same thing will happen. Smokers will gravitate to places that allow smoking and non-smokers will gravitate to places that do not allow smoking.

    Why does either side of the issue feel that their side is so special that they get to have all the choices in their favor? Why can't we have a happy medium where everybody gets a little of something?

    2) As far as air circulation systems, yeah technology has advanced, but that doesn't do much regarding the person sitting at the next table whose smoke gets to you first before the air circulation system even has a chance to filter it.

    3) If non-smoking places were gaining so much more business *because* they're non-smoking, then owners would be doing this on their own simply as a business decision. They're never did because it was all BS hyperbole.
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

  8. #148
    Sage
    Oozlefinch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    State of Jefferson
    Last Seen
    12-12-17 @ 07:28 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    11,363

    Re: Should cigarette smoking be allowed in some bars & restaurants?

    Quote Originally Posted by radcen View Post
    Some random thoughts:

    1) I just don't buy into the "but whet about the employees who have no choice?" argument. They DO have a choice. They have the same choice as customers do. And the same thing will happen. Smokers will gravitate to places that allow smoking and non-smokers will gravitate to places that do not allow smoking.

    Why does either side of the issue feel that their side is so special that they get to have all the choices in their favor? Why can't we have a happy medium where everybody gets a little of something?
    Personally, I thought Alabama had some of the best laws in that area.

    A business could allow smoking, or not allow smoking. If they did allow smoking, it had to be in a separate area from the non-smoking area.

    Then people simply made the choice on where to go to eat. And maybe 30% of the businesses in 2007 still allowed smoking. But it was their choice, nobody forced them to outright end it.
    War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. - John Stuart Mill

  9. #149
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:12 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,703

    Re: Should cigarette smoking be allowed in some bars & restaurants?

    Quote Originally Posted by radcen View Post
    Some random thoughts:

    1) I just don't buy into the "but what about the employees who have no choice?" argument. They DO have a choice. They have the same choice as customers do. And the same thing will happen. Smokers will gravitate to places that allow smoking and non-smokers will gravitate to places that do not allow smoking.

    Why does either side of the issue feel that their side is so special that they get to have all the choices in their favor? Why can't we have a happy medium where everybody gets a little of something?

    2) As far as air circulation systems, yeah technology has advanced, but that doesn't do much regarding the person sitting at the next table whose smoke gets to you first before the air circulation system even has a chance to filter it.

    3) If non-smoking places were gaining so much more business *because* they're non-smoking, then owners would be doing this on their own simply as a business decision. They're never did because it was all BS hyperbole.
    my second favorite waitress of all time at a TGIF was a former nurse (she waited tables after her husband got transferred to Cincinnati). She hated smoking but she always worked in the smoking section. I said-Jenny why do you work in that section-she said easy-smokers tip a lot better-especially 28 year old really gorgeous servers



  10. #150
    Sage

    vesper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Midwest
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:43 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    13,884

    Re: Should cigarette smoking be allowed in some bars & restaurants?

    Quote Originally Posted by lizzie View Post
    Yes Lizzie these days scientific integrity is truly over-rated. For every scientific study that says second hand smoke is dangerous there are just as many that state otherwise. But isn't it the same with the whole man made global warming saga and other issues? Unfortunately Science has been tainted because of the amount of funding they receive through special interests. Scientists are looking for jobs too and often rely on funding to provide those jobs. Whoever is providing the funding for those jobs taints their so called findings.

Page 15 of 40 FirstFirst ... 5131415161725 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •