View Poll Results: Theodore Wafer, shooter of Renisha McBride, conviction or not based on what we know?

Voters
38. You may not vote on this poll
  • Murder 2

    10 26.32%
  • Manslaughter

    23 60.53%
  • Possession of a firearm during commission of a felony

    6 15.79%
  • Innocent

    4 10.53%
  • Other

    3 7.89%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 7 of 20 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 70 of 194

Thread: Theodore Wafer, shooter of Renisha McBride, conviction or not? [W:44:185]

  1. #61
    Sage
    Excon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Last Seen
    10-14-17 @ 01:26 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,997

    Re: Theodore Wafer, shooter of Renisha McBride, conviction or not?

    Quote Originally Posted by opendebate View Post
    If you are trying to look at the case in a genuinely objective way however, there is no way to know the truth about whether she was banging wildly on the door or knocking loud to wake someone up at 4:30 in the morning,(which makes sense). If you allow yourself to adopt as fact the homeowners representation of her behavior you are going to have a bias view of the events. Seems wrong.
    And yet the only witness we have states it was banging.



    Quote Originally Posted by opendebate View Post
    Why us everyone so preoccupied with the banging??
    As already stated.
    Banging goes to his belief and why he acted the way he did.
    E.g.: Believing someone was breaking in and getting a firearm to check it out.
    “The law is reason, free from passion.”
    Aristotle
    (≚ᄌ≚)

  2. #62
    Sage
    opendebate's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Last Seen
    09-17-17 @ 01:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    7,315

    Re: Theodore Wafer, shooter of Renisha McBride, conviction or not?

    Quote Originally Posted by Summerwind View Post
    I believe that's the point I was trying to make in one sentence. I guess I didn't succeed. Thank you for elaborating.
    Yeah, I was trying to support your point. I understood what you were saying.
    "Judge a man by his questions rather than his answers" - Voltaire
    "There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow men. True nobility lies in being superior to your former self" -Hemingway

  3. #63
    Hot Flash Mama
    Summerwind's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Last Seen
    01-23-17 @ 05:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    11,010

    Re: Theodore Wafer, shooter of Renisha McBride, conviction or not?

    Quote Originally Posted by Excon View Post
    Did I say it was?

    Secondly, an accidental discharge is not a purposeful shooting of anybody, for anything.

    But banging is reason enough to believe someone is trying to break in, and reasonable cause to arm yourself while investigating.
    You may not have "said" it, but you didn't clarify which allowed for misinterpretation. Since this is what you now clarify, I agree as to arming before opening the door, but, and this is a big but,
    if he didn't know her, once he looked through the peep hole to determine that, he should've called 911, not opened the door, leaving the one door shut, and he shouldn't have EVER pointed the gun to go off accidentally or on purpose.
    jallman: "It's all good. At least you have a thick skin and can take being poked fun back at without crying. "

  4. #64
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Theoretical Physics Lab
    Last Seen
    01-06-15 @ 11:06 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    25,120

    Re: Theodore Wafer, shooter of Renisha McBride, conviction or not?

    Quote Originally Posted by Summerwind View Post
    You may not have "said" it, but you didn't clarify which allowed for misinterpretation. Since this is what you now clarify, I agree as to arming before opening the door, but, and this is a big but,
    if he didn't know her, once he looked through the peep hole to determine that, he should've called 911, not opened the door, leaving the one door shut, and he shouldn't have EVER pointed the gun to go off accidentally or on purpose.
    You call the cops every time someone you don't recognize knocks on your door? Damn, Jehovah's Witnesses must hate you. They must just chuck copies of The Watchtower on your front door with a slingshot.

  5. #65
    On Vacation
    joko104's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:27 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    31,569
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Theodore Wafer, shooter of Renisha McBride, conviction or not?

    Quote Originally Posted by Kreton View Post
    Why? He shot someone in the face with a shotgun who by what we know so far was not a threat. What about that is not murder?
    That's the words that matter - what we know - and don't.

  6. #66
    Hot Flash Mama
    Summerwind's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Last Seen
    01-23-17 @ 05:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    11,010

    Re: Theodore Wafer, shooter of Renisha McBride, conviction or not?

    Quote Originally Posted by Gipper View Post
    You call the cops every time someone you don't recognize knocks on your door? Damn, Jehovah's Witnesses must hate you. They must just chuck copies of The Watchtower on your front door with a slingshot.
    At two in the morning. Yes, I'd have 911 on the line, and of course they wouldn't actually call the police unless there was a need. Didn't you know you could do that? You can call and say, I don't know if I need, will you stick with me on the line in case I do? They surprisingly say, yes.

    First y'all nutjobs want to make a big deal about how it was 2am, then when it's convenient you want to dis people by suggesting 2am is the same as the time of day Watchtower idiots ring the bell. No wonder no one with any sensibilities can take y'all seriously.
    jallman: "It's all good. At least you have a thick skin and can take being poked fun back at without crying. "

  7. #67
    Sage
    opendebate's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Last Seen
    09-17-17 @ 01:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    7,315

    Re: Theodore Wafer, shooter of Renisha McBride, conviction or not?

    Quote Originally Posted by Gipper View Post
    ..........
    The problem here is that you're wanting to be omniscient. You can't be.
    Says you! (kidding) No, I'm not. I am just saying that it seems wrong to take the word of the only living witness who also happens to be the shooter. You can't really argue with that point.

    He'll be judged by 12 people who can take into account actual evidence, and determine if he can be convicted on that and that alone.
    There is a difference between sharing opinions about what may or may not have taken place, what should and should not be considered and how the legal process will handle it. Like Casey Anthony, everyone speculated that she was guilty but because in a courtroom your speculations are filtered through the law the outcome is not guilty. They are different conversations.

    You're trying to convict on "I think he" or "he probably".
    Where did I say anything at all about what HE did or did not do?
    "Judge a man by his questions rather than his answers" - Voltaire
    "There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow men. True nobility lies in being superior to your former self" -Hemingway

  8. #68
    Sage
    opendebate's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Last Seen
    09-17-17 @ 01:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    7,315

    Re: Theodore Wafer, shooter of Renisha McBride, conviction or not?

    Quote Originally Posted by Excon View Post
    And yet the only witness we have states it was banging.



    As already stated.
    Banging goes to his belief and why he acted the way he did.
    E.g.: Believing someone was breaking in and getting a firearm to check it out.
    You're not getting my point.
    "Judge a man by his questions rather than his answers" - Voltaire
    "There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow men. True nobility lies in being superior to your former self" -Hemingway

  9. #69
    Sage
    Excon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Last Seen
    10-14-17 @ 01:26 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,997

    Re: Theodore Wafer, shooter of Renisha McBride, conviction or not?

    Quote Originally Posted by Summerwind View Post
    You may not have "said" it, but you didn't clarify which allowed for misinterpretation. Since this is what you now clarify, I agree as to arming before opening the door, but, and this is a big but,
    There was nothing to clarify as it had been made clear previously that it was an accidental discharge, which "is not "him" doing anything".

    Which tells me you are not paying attention to that which came before.


    Quote Originally Posted by Summerwind View Post
    if he didn't know her, once he looked through the peep hole to determine that, he should've called 911, not opened the door, leaving the one door shut, and he shouldn't have EVER pointed the gun to go off accidentally or on purpose.
    You are assuming facts not in evidence.
    You have no idea if he did, or didn't look through a peep-hole. Or whether he did or didn't see anyone if he did.
    You have no idea if she was still banging on the door when he opened it or not.

    When investigating someone banging on your door which sounds to you like someone trying to break-in, opening the door with the gun pointed in that direction is a reasonable thing to do.

    But he does not have to call the cops and is entitled to defend his self and his property.
    “The law is reason, free from passion.”
    Aristotle
    (≚ᄌ≚)

  10. #70
    Sage
    Excon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Last Seen
    10-14-17 @ 01:26 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,997

    Re: Theodore Wafer, shooter of Renisha McBride, conviction or not?

    Quote Originally Posted by opendebate View Post
    You're not getting my point.
    You made your point by asking.
    Your question was answered.

    In reference to the other, you go with the evidence you have unless other evidence contradicts it.
    We have no contradictory evidence.
    So you go with what we have.
    Last edited by Excon; 11-24-13 at 05:21 PM.
    “The law is reason, free from passion.”
    Aristotle
    (≚ᄌ≚)

Page 7 of 20 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •