View Poll Results: How much do you spend each year on quality of life

Voters
28. You may not vote on this poll
  • <$5000

    11 39.29%
  • $5000-$12000

    7 25.00%
  • $12000-$24000

    3 10.71%
  • >$24000

    4 14.29%
  • Other (Please explain)

    3 10.71%
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 32

Thread: The cost of "Quality of Life"

  1. #21
    Sage
    Lutherf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Tucson, AZ
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:02 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    24,662

    Re: The cost of "Quality of Life"

    Quote Originally Posted by TheGirlNextDoor View Post
    Well, I haven't had a real vacation in 15 years if that tells you anything. I barely have two dimes to rub together. I have a kid graduating high school next year and another the year after that.

    I have a 401k, money invested in etrade, and two pensions....however, I don't have extra money laying around to spend frivolously.

    I wish I did.

    I need a damn break.
    I feel for you and wish I had a good suggestion but the best I can recommend is block out a week on your calendar at some point in the spring and force yourself to get out of town for that period come hell or high water.

  2. #22
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Where they have FOX on in bars and restaurants
    Last Seen
    09-14-14 @ 02:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    14,700

    Re: The cost of "Quality of Life"

    Quote Originally Posted by Lutherf View Post
    This from the guy that "needed" a used sled and ended up with a 4 wheeler?
    You mean this? OK I know it looks bad but it's a tool not a toy damnit and I bought it so I can go in and out on it instead of plowing 3 miles of road. TOOL NOT TOY OK!!!!
    The cost of &quot;Quality of Life&quot;-001-jpg

  3. #23
    User DSA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Last Seen
    12-07-13 @ 07:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    48
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: The cost of "Quality of Life"

    I would say around 10,000 is wasted to an extent. I would rather enjoy life as much as I can now rather than leaving someone else richer in the end.

  4. #24
    Global Moderator
    The Hammer of Chaos
    Goshin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Dixie
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,159

    Re: The cost of "Quality of Life"

    Quote Originally Posted by Lutherf View Post
    In my experience that's where most people fall.

    A lot of people start out telling me that it's minimal but then I start asking about how often they buy lunch out or stop for a coffee and end up shocked at what it adds up to.


    I don't know that lunch is really a quality of life luxury. I have to eat, and I never know where I'm going to be working when lunch time rolls around. Sometimes I bring something for lunch, but frankly once you figure the materials cost and the time spent making something for lunch I might as well spend $2-6 bucks at a diner or whatnot.


    Fixing something for lunch is a pain. By preference it needs to be handy and edible cold (access to microwave/etc is iffy), something that won't take a long time to consume, something that won't sit like an anvil in my gut after lunch while I'm trying to work. Typically that means a sammich, and frankly quality sammich materials are kind of expensive.

    Fiddling While Rome Burns
    ISIS: Carthago Delenda Est
    "I used to roll the dice; see the fear in my enemies' eyes... listen as the crowd would sing, 'now the old king is dead, Long Live the King.'.."

  5. #25
    Sage
    Lutherf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Tucson, AZ
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:02 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    24,662

    Re: The cost of "Quality of Life"

    Quote Originally Posted by Goshin View Post
    I don't know that lunch is really a quality of life luxury. I have to eat, and I never know where I'm going to be working when lunch time rolls around. Sometimes I bring something for lunch, but frankly once you figure the materials cost and the time spent making something for lunch I might as well spend $2-6 bucks at a diner or whatnot.


    Fixing something for lunch is a pain. By preference it needs to be handy and edible cold (access to microwave/etc is iffy), something that won't take a long time to consume, something that won't sit like an anvil in my gut after lunch while I'm trying to work. Typically that means a sammich, and frankly quality sammich materials are kind of expensive.
    Yeah. That's where a lot of my "quality of life" spending goes. I do pretty good if I cook on weekends and do leftovers for the week but I tend to get bored with whatever it was I cooked. That leads to breakfast and lunch on the road several times a week. Then, since I try to stay away from fast food as much as possible, it ends up being a $20 lunch instead of a $5 lunch.

  6. #26
    Sage
    Lutherf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Tucson, AZ
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:02 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    24,662

    Re: The cost of "Quality of Life"

    Quote Originally Posted by DSA View Post
    I would say around 10,000 is wasted to an extent. I would rather enjoy life as much as I can now rather than leaving someone else richer in the end.
    I'd say that $10k is really pretty reasonable for a lot of people. That's only $200 a week on "stuff".

  7. #27
    Be different, be honest
    EdwinWillers's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Divided States of Kardashia
    Last Seen
    12-25-15 @ 04:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    4,361

    Re: The cost of "Quality of Life"

    My wife and I don't do vacations; we eat out 3-4 times a month and take a couple short day trips when we have time. All in all, I figure we spend in the $3k - $4k range annually on incidental stuff.
    Who chimes "No Absolutes!" chimes absolutely.

    zoom zoom

  8. #28
    Sage
    Navy Pride's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Pacific NW
    Last Seen
    05-07-15 @ 02:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    39,883

    Re: The cost of "Quality of Life"

    Quote Originally Posted by DSA View Post
    I would say around 10,000 is wasted to an extent. I would rather enjoy life as much as I can now rather than leaving someone else richer in the end.
    I can't say that because even though I have a great life with few regrets I want my children to have a batter one then I did.

    By the way love your avatar.
    "God Bless Our Troops in Harms Way."

  9. #29
    Sage
    Navy Pride's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Pacific NW
    Last Seen
    05-07-15 @ 02:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    39,883

    Re: The cost of "Quality of Life"

    Quote Originally Posted by TheGirlNextDoor View Post
    Well, I haven't had a real vacation in 15 years if that tells you anything. I barely have two dimes to rub together. I have a kid graduating high school next year and another the year after that.

    I have a 401k, money invested in etrade, and two pensions....however, I don't have extra money laying around to spend frivolously.

    I wish I did.

    I need a damn break.
    Well just do it.
    "God Bless Our Troops in Harms Way."

  10. #30
    Global Moderator
    Rage More!
    Your Star's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    26,362

    Re: The cost of "Quality of Life"

    I don't have enough money to do that, lol.

    Though, I can imagine it getting rather pricey. Especially before I have any kids, somewhere between the 5-7 grand range. Which won't be that bad considering the job I'm going to get.
    Eat me, drink me, love me;
    Laura make much of me

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •