View Poll Results: Should public officials have to take a test in American History and Civics to run?

Voters
33. You may not vote on this poll
  • Extensive test. They should be experts on the Nation they lead.

    13 39.39%
  • Morderate, generalized test. Need to be reasonably knowledgeable.

    3 9.09%
  • No Test.

    15 45.45%
  • Other.

    2 6.06%
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 31

Thread: American History and Civics test for Political Office?

  1. #21
    Sage
    Bodhisattva's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    New Zealand
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:17 AM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    63,861

    Re: American History and Civics test for Political Office?

    Quote Originally Posted by Beaudreaux View Post
    Why should we assume that people that are less informed than the membership here could determine the validity of the test questions and what would be considered the correct answers?
    For the same reason Doctors, Lawyers, Fire Fighters are tested... so that people doing the job are actually qualified.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have pooped in public, even in public neighborhoods.
    Quote Originally Posted by Absentglare View Post
    You can successfully wipe your ass with toilet paper, that doesn't mean that you should.

  2. #22
    Sage
    Bodhisattva's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    New Zealand
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:17 AM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    63,861

    Re: American History and Civics test for Political Office?

    Quote Originally Posted by johndylan1 View Post
    How about passing one to get on this forum??? Hmmm.
    Who would you have to bribe then?
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have pooped in public, even in public neighborhoods.
    Quote Originally Posted by Absentglare View Post
    You can successfully wipe your ass with toilet paper, that doesn't mean that you should.

  3. #23
    Preserve Protect Defend
    Beaudreaux's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Covfefe, NC
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 06:13 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    15,566

    Re: American History and Civics test for Political Office?

    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
    For the same reason Doctors, Lawyers, Fire Fighters are tested... so that people doing the job are actually qualified.
    Doctors and lawyers are licensed by the state to practice their profession, Firefighters are trained for their own safety, but politicians are elected by people that can't even balance their own check books or know the difference between a country and a continent. As long as politicians are elected, and not hired through an application process that requires prerequisite qualifications, we will get what we've always gotten, politicians. The politicians staff are the ones that have to go through the application process and have to have the requisite civic qualifications. That was my point about the staff being the receptacle for civic knowledge, not the politician. Plus, most people that are actually smart enough to be the type of politician that fit the requirement of the thread title, wouldn't want to be a politician, because they're smart enough to stay as far away from politics as possible.

  4. #24
    Phonetic Mnemonic
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:46 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,407

    Re: American History and Civics test for Political Office?

    Why do I get the sense that people who advocate tests for everything are really just trying to artificially limit the pool of candidates to people who are just like themselves?

    It's almost as if they believe the only people who could pass the test would be people like themselves in terms of values, beliefs, conclusions, etc.
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

  5. #25
    Phonetic Mnemonic
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:46 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,407

    Re: American History and Civics test for Political Office?

    Quote Originally Posted by humbolt View Post
    I'd be more interested in each prospective candidate writing a complete job description for the office they intend to hold. That would be interesting.
    Ooh. I like this idea.

    As long as they wrote it themselves.
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

  6. #26
    Sage
    Bodhisattva's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    New Zealand
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:17 AM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    63,861

    Re: American History and Civics test for Political Office?

    Quote Originally Posted by Beaudreaux View Post
    Doctors and lawyers are licensed by the state to practice their profession, Firefighters are trained for their own safety, but politicians are elected by people that can't even balance their own check books or know the difference between a country and a continent. As long as politicians are elected, and not hired through an application process that requires prerequisite qualifications, we will get what we've always gotten, politicians. The politicians staff are the ones that have to go through the application process and have to have the requisite civic qualifications. That was my point about the staff being the receptacle for civic knowledge, not the politician. Plus, most people that are actually smart enough to be the type of politician that fit the requirement of the thread title, wouldn't want to be a politician, because they're smart enough to stay as far away from politics as possible.

    Yeah... I get all that. We were asked what we wanted to happen. I answered. You don't agree. Fine. I think it would be good and benefit the country and the political process. You apparently don't. Fine.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have pooped in public, even in public neighborhoods.
    Quote Originally Posted by Absentglare View Post
    You can successfully wipe your ass with toilet paper, that doesn't mean that you should.

  7. #27
    Preserve Protect Defend
    Beaudreaux's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Covfefe, NC
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 06:13 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    15,566

    Re: American History and Civics test for Political Office?

    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
    Yeah... I get all that. We were asked what we wanted to happen. I answered. You don't agree. Fine. I think it would be good and benefit the country and the political process. You apparently don't. Fine.
    It's not that I disagree. It's that I don't think it would be possible. If this was a requirement, we would end up with nothing but lawyers in Congress. And IMHO, we have too many lawyers in Congress as it is.

    I'm not trying to irritate you. Just trying to discuss the topic.

  8. #28
    Sage
    Bodhisattva's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    New Zealand
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:17 AM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    63,861

    Re: American History and Civics test for Political Office?

    Quote Originally Posted by Beaudreaux View Post
    It's not that I disagree. It's that I don't think it would be possible. If this was a requirement, we would end up with nothing but lawyers in Congress. And IMHO, we have too many lawyers in Congress as it is.

    I'm not trying to irritate you. Just trying to discuss the topic.
    I am not irritated. I was just being succinct, I guess. Sorry if I sounded flippant.

    There are a lot of business owners and people of other professions in there as well, though I don't know the percentages.

    It won't happen... of that I am sure so there really isn't much to worry about either way.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have pooped in public, even in public neighborhoods.
    Quote Originally Posted by Absentglare View Post
    You can successfully wipe your ass with toilet paper, that doesn't mean that you should.

  9. #29
    Guru
    Smeagol's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Last Seen
    02-19-17 @ 11:35 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,147

    Re: American History and Civics test for Political Office?

    Quote Originally Posted by Painter View Post
    I've noticed that many of our Politicians holding national office are severely lacking in knowledge in Civics and American History.
    Most of the idiotic things I have seen are coming from the Right. But I am sure there are examples from the Left too.

    I feel that a person should have to pass basic High School American History and Civics questions in order to run for office.
    Having a High School diploma is not good enough. I want to see them actually tested.

    I do not want people in charge of our Government and our Nation's future who think that the founding fathers eliminated slavery, or who think that America was founded on the Christian Religion.
    Not exactly. I do however support educational training and federal certification in political ethics and corruption for office seekers.
    Having opinions all over the map is a good sign of a person capable of autonomous thinking. Felix -2011

  10. #30
    Advisor Tothian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    New Jersey, United States
    Last Seen
    06-10-17 @ 04:26 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    553

    Re: American History and Civics test for Political Office?

    This is a good question. I voted "Other" because I'm not sure yet.

    I do think that politicians should be informed and have an understanding of what they do. Unfortunately, any time there's a new form of rules like this, those in charge of it could easily corrupt it as well.

    But I do think that if more elected officials were educated in some form of Political Philosophy, then it could send a message to voters to get educated on these issues. Not only for the sake of educating our elected officials - but even more importantly, educating our voters who vote in these elected officials.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •