View Poll Results: Do you trust the government to get things right?

Voters
48. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes.

    3 6.25%
  • No.

    38 79.17%
  • Salmon.

    7 14.58%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 29

Thread: Do You Trust the Government to Get Things Right?

  1. #11
    Haters gon' hate
    MarineTpartier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Last Seen
    01-04-16 @ 04:58 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    5,586
    Blog Entries
    8

    Re: Do You Trust the Government to Get Things Right?

    Quote Originally Posted by LowDown View Post
    Yes, subtract out private interests, capitalists, and things will be all rainbows and moonbeams, like the old Soviet Union, where commissars and apparatchiks were ferried about in limousines, went to special medical clinics, shopped in exclusive stores, and spent their vacations in special dachas on the Black Sea. No private interests there, yet the operatives of the state developed their own class interests to the detriment of everyone else anyway. Such patriots they were!
    I think what he was saying is that there is far too much outside influence and financial gain to be made by outside parties to ever get an honest person into office. I agree with that. Most of our politicians nowadays are bought and paid for as soon as they step into office. This is not the way the founders intended it to be. By any stretch of the imagination.
    “Mr. Speaker, I once again find myself compelled to vote against the annual budget resolution for a very simple reason: it makes government bigger.” ― Ron Paul
    Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of Liberty. – Thomas Jefferson

  2. #12
    Iconoclast
    DaveFagan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    wny
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:01 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    7,309

    Re: Do You Trust the Government to Get Things Right?

    Quote Originally Posted by LowDown View Post
    Watching the movie "Miracle on 42nd Street" I was struck by the climax scene in which the US Post Office was lauded as an institution that always gets it right. Since they delivered mail addressed to Santa Claus to the fellow on trial then that fellow must indeed be Santa, the judge concludes.

    The men back then all wore hats and the women all wore gloves, but the trust they had for the government and its institutions was the most striking of the anachronisms on display in that movie.

    From then to now it has been a steady course of degeneration, not only of the trust in government but of all sorts of institutions.

    Neither the left nor the right trusts government these days. Some on the left think that the Pentagon shot a passenger jet down with a guided missile, executed the inside job known as 9-11, framed a football player for killing his wife, engineered the assassination of JFK, and on and on. Some on the right think that their tax monies are mostly wasted, that green projects are scams, that climate change is a scam. And some from both sides think that their democracy is manipulated by powerful interests.

    Nevertheless, there is a marked asymmetry in reliance that the left and right have on government.
    I believe that the Congressional relationship with lobbyists is bribery and is illegal. Let's enforce the law to initiate change. If everyone agrees it's wrong, why is there no effort by Congressmen to make change? We are not making enough noise. Occupy started to make a little and we found out who the police work for. Maybe it is too late to save it.

  3. #13
    Curmudgeon


    LowDown's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Houston
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:35 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    11,572
    Blog Entries
    11

    Re: Do You Trust the Government to Get Things Right?

    Quote Originally Posted by MarineTpartier View Post
    I think what he was saying is that there is far too much outside influence and financial gain to be made by outside parties to ever get an honest person into office. I agree with that. Most of our politicians nowadays are bought and paid for as soon as they step into office. This is not the way the founders intended it to be. By any stretch of the imagination.
    In referring to "patriots" who step in when "private interests" are removed I take him as echoing the old progressive assumption that public servants are incorruptible angels among us as opposed to those evil, selfish capitalists and businessmen. I'm saying there's no such animal, neither in the public nor private spheres. The Constitution was designed to keep everyone in check through a system of checks and balances, a system that assumes the worst about human nature, and that is what is needed in all aspects of government, including in regulatory bodies where it is currently missing. The Executive Branch has gotten so large and so much rule making and discretion in enforcement has been delegated to it that it no longer is subject to those constitutional controls.

    "The urge to save humanity is almost always a false front for the urge to rule." --HL Mencken

  4. #14
    Curmudgeon


    LowDown's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Houston
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:35 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    11,572
    Blog Entries
    11

    Re: Do You Trust the Government to Get Things Right?

    Quote Originally Posted by DaveFagan View Post
    I believe that the Congressional relationship with lobbyists is bribery and is illegal. Let's enforce the law to initiate change. If everyone agrees it's wrong, why is there no effort by Congressmen to make change? We are not making enough noise. Occupy started to make a little and we found out who the police work for. Maybe it is too late to save it.
    All efforts to control political speech are self serving hypocrisy and should be rebuked and proscribed.

    "The urge to save humanity is almost always a false front for the urge to rule." --HL Mencken

  5. #15
    Uncanny
    Paschendale's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    New York City
    Last Seen
    03-31-16 @ 04:08 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    12,510

    Re: Do You Trust the Government to Get Things Right?

    Quote Originally Posted by LowDown View Post
    Yes, subtract out private interests, capitalists, and things will be all rainbows and moonbeams, like the old Soviet Union, where commissars and apparatchiks were ferried about in limousines, went to special medical clinics, shopped in exclusive stores, and spent their vacations in special dachas on the Black Sea. No private interests there, yet the operatives of the state developed their own class interests to the detriment of everyone else anyway. Such patriots they were!
    I don't know if you ever noticed, but this isn't the Soviet Union, and we have a lot of traditions of freedom that they didn't, and we care a whole lot more about those freedoms than they ever did. This country couldn't turn into a tyrannical state like the USSR if it tried. As much as you might like to invoke that hyperbole, it's complete nonsense.
    Liberté. Égalité. Fraternité.

  6. #16
    Advisor Zariak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Last Seen
    02-08-15 @ 01:59 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    470

    Re: Do You Trust the Government to Get Things Right?

    Quote Originally Posted by LowDown View Post


    Some on the left think that the Pentagon shot a passenger jet down with a guided missile, executed the inside job known as 9-11, framed a football player for killing his wife, engineered the assassination of JFK, and on and on.
    Quote Originally Posted by LowDown View Post
    Some on the right think that their tax monies are mostly wasted, that green projects are scams, that climate change is a scam.
    are you kidding me? The way you worded this is so irrational, I don't even know where to start.
    You're clearly portraying the left as illogical, moronic conspiracy theorists, and you make
    the right sound like a sensible, levelheaded party.

    Your bias is showing.
    "I mean, everybody should have access to medical care. And, you know, it shouldn't be such a big deal."
    -Dr. Paul Farmer

  7. #17
    Anti political parties
    FreedomFromAll's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    New Mexico USA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    12,062

    Re: Do You Trust the Government to Get Things Right?

    I voted Salmon because I from the Pacific Northwest.



    Thats on topic since it was a choice in this poll :P

    On the other part though, no one is supposed to just trust their government we are supposed to tend it with vigilance. But some people think that all fault lies on the politicians they dont know/realize/care/or whatever that it takes work by the citizens to run a country, dont leave it all up to partisan hacks.

  8. #18
    Sage
    reinoe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Out West
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    16,124
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Do You Trust the Government to Get Things Right?

    Republicans and those on the right hate government only when it does things that they don't want it to do like: help the poor in someone else's state, build infrastructure in neighborhoods they don't live in, or when a Democratic President spends money on vacations or foreign diplomatic trips.

    Democrats and those on the left put too much faith in too many government institutions. The Dept of Education is an absolute joke and the EPA has overreached a lot.

    But both parties generally love war and curbing freedom of information so they'll generally agree on limiting the internet freedoms people have come to cherish so there's always that.
    Last edited by reinoe; 11-17-13 at 05:53 PM.
    Trump Attacked A Syrian Airfield. Trump will be a one-term president.

  9. #19
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    (none)
    Last Seen
    04-04-15 @ 09:11 PM
    Lean
    Communist
    Posts
    6,112
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Do You Trust the Government to Get Things Right?

    If this poll is a representation of the voting population we should see quite a few newcomers elected in 2014.

  10. #20
    Sage
    Bodhisattva's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    New Zealand
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:31 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    64,106

    Re: Do You Trust the Government to Get Things Right?

    Quote Originally Posted by LowDown View Post
    "Miracle on 42nd Street" I was struck by the climax scene
    There is a climax scene in Miracle on 42nd?
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have pooped in public, even in public neighborhoods.
    Quote Originally Posted by OldFatGuy View Post
    Usually a gag for wise mouthed insulting little girls. Then some good nylon rope so I can tie them up, toss them in the trunk of my car and forget about them.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •