View Poll Results: Should we send help to the Philippines

Voters
35. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, we should send help at the expense of more money to our dept

    24 68.57%
  • No, we should be trying to lower the dept instead

    7 20.00%
  • Maybe, i like the idea of helping, but we should find an alternate means if here is one

    4 11.43%
Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 85

Thread: Send help to the Philippines ?

  1. #1
    Advisor
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Colorado, U.S.A
    Last Seen
    06-05-14 @ 11:13 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    464

    Send help to the Philippines ?

    READ BEFORE VOTING!!!!!


    Ok so i'm all for helping people out, but the fact that we are sending 20 million dollars to help them got me thinking. Where was the money coming from? Now I could only think of two places. One, taxes. 2. We're borrowing it. Now if everything was OK in America I would say go for it, they need it. BUT EVERYTHING IS NOT ALRIGHT PEOPLE! We are 17 billion dollars in dept. Every tax payer in America currently would have to pay 149 thousand dollars to take us out of dept nationally on top of what individual owe, and the government keeps spending! We shouldn't be trying to stabilize other economy's, we should be trying to stabilize our own, scrapping together every penny we can get to start shoving that number back! And when we think "Oh penny's don't matter the dept increase by hundreds of dollars a second," well consider that every penny we shove that dept back, that's another penny our kids and grand kids and great grand kids wont have to pay. And people, 20 million dollars is not a couple of penny's. When you realize that about 48 cents out of the dollar is borrowed, we just shoved our dept up about 9.6 million dollars. Is a recovering country going to help us pay that back? I don't think so. I highly doubt it in any case. In case your wondering if any of these numbers are crap, here's a real time dept clock to back me up. So should we send it? Sorry but i say no

    U.S. National Debt Clock : Real Time

  2. #2
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Where they have FOX on in bars and restaurants
    Last Seen
    09-14-14 @ 02:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    14,700

    Re: Send help to the Philippines ?

    I tend to agree. In case nobody has noticed we are broke, beyond broke, we are so far in debt out great great grand kids will be paying on it.

  3. #3
    Advisor Zariak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Last Seen
    02-08-15 @ 01:59 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    470

    Re: Send help to the Philippines ?

    Huh, I disagree. I say yes. And if you have to ask why, you are beyond me.
    "I mean, everybody should have access to medical care. And, you know, it shouldn't be such a big deal."
    -Dr. Paul Farmer

  4. #4
    Sage
    Navy Pride's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Pacific NW
    Last Seen
    05-07-15 @ 02:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    39,883

    Re: Send help to the Philippines ?

    It is the humane thing to do besides Obama spends that much every hour of the day.
    "God Bless Our Troops in Harms Way."

  5. #5
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Theoretical Physics Lab
    Last Seen
    01-06-15 @ 11:06 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    25,120

    Re: Send help to the Philippines ?

    I oppose about 95% of foreign aid.

    This is part of the 5%.

  6. #6
    global liberation

    ecofarm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Miami
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 07:49 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    66,400

    Re: Send help to the Philippines ?

    20m can be cut elsewhere.

  7. #7
    Sage
    Sherman123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Northeast US
    Last Seen
    11-23-17 @ 11:12 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    7,774

    Re: Send help to the Philippines ?

    The amount spent on humanitarian operations like this are negligible compared to annual spending let alone our deficit and debt. It is in the interests of the United States to maintain a positive influence in the world, as well as being a frank part of our common humanity. Provincialism is the road to turmoil.

  8. #8
    Sometimes wrong

    ttwtt78640's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Uhland, Texas
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    34,623

    Re: Send help to the Philippines ?

    Quote Originally Posted by JJB3333 View Post
    READ BEFORE VOTING!!!!!


    Ok so i'm all for helping people out, but the fact that we are sending 20 million dollars to help them got me thinking. Where was the money coming from? Now I could only think of two places. One, taxes. 2. We're borrowing it. Now if everything was OK in America I would say go for it, they need it. BUT EVERYTHING IS NOT ALRIGHT PEOPLE! We are 17 billion dollars in dept. Every tax payer in America currently would have to pay 149 thousand dollars to take us out of dept nationally on top of what individual owe, and the government keeps spending! We shouldn't be trying to stabilize other economy's, we should be trying to stabilize our own, scrapping together every penny we can get to start shoving that number back! And when we think "Oh penny's don't matter the dept increase by hundreds of dollars a second," well consider that every penny we shove that dept back, that's another penny our kids and grand kids and great grand kids wont have to pay. And people, 20 million dollars is not a couple of penny's. When you realize that about 48 cents out of the dollar is borrowed, we just shoved our dept up about 9.6 million dollars. Is a recovering country going to help us pay that back? I don't think so. I highly doubt it in any case. In case your wondering if any of these numbers are crap, here's a real time dept clock to back me up. So should we send it? Sorry but i say no

    U.S. National Debt Clock : Real Time
    The better question is where did it not go instead. Every dime (Obama loves to talk about spending dimes) wether taxed or borrowed that is spent must be appropriated by congress for a stated purpose. That $20 million had to be taken from somewhere else to be spent - since I do not recall a bill becoming law to aid the Philippines.
    “The reasonable man adapts himself to the world: the unreasonable one persists to adapt the world to himself.
    Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” ― George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman

  9. #9
    Advisor Zariak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Last Seen
    02-08-15 @ 01:59 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    470

    Re: Send help to the Philippines ?

    Quote Originally Posted by ttwtt78640 View Post
    The better question is where did it not go instead. Every dime (Obama loves to talk about spending dimes) wether taxed or borrowed that is spent must be appropriated by congress for a stated purpose. That $20 million had to be taken from somewhere else to be spent - since I do not recall a bill becoming law to aid the Philippines.
    Give me a break. This is humanitarian aid. Out of all of our irresponsible spending, you choose to scrutinize this?
    "I mean, everybody should have access to medical care. And, you know, it shouldn't be such a big deal."
    -Dr. Paul Farmer

  10. #10
    Sometimes wrong

    ttwtt78640's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Uhland, Texas
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    34,623

    Re: Send help to the Philippines ?

    Quote Originally Posted by Zariak View Post
    Give me a break. This is humanitarian aid. Out of all of our irresponsible spending, you choose to scrutinize this?
    No, I choose to question why this is possible without any change in the law. How much is allocated (if any) for giving away to foreign nations "just in case" things happen and what happens if no such case comes up? All I ask is under what legal budget authority can the federal gov't spend money? I am sure that "every dime" is carefully allocated on paper, so to pay X you must not pay Y.
    “The reasonable man adapts himself to the world: the unreasonable one persists to adapt the world to himself.
    Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” ― George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •