View Poll Results: Who's worse: Genghis Khan, or Hitler?

Voters
155. You may not vote on this poll
  • Hitler

    52 33.55%
  • Genghis Khan

    63 40.65%
  • Neither

    11 7.10%
  • IDK

    15 9.68%
  • Other

    14 9.03%
Page 8 of 15 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast
Results 71 to 80 of 148

Thread: Who's worse: Genghis Khan, or Hitler?

  1. #71
    Sage
    DDD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Republic of Dardania
    Last Seen
    05-06-17 @ 06:00 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    12,173

    Re: Who's worse: Genghis Khan, or Hitler?

    Quote Originally Posted by Gaius46 View Post
    The question I would ask you is was Khan's behavior out of step with how conquering armies of the time acted? I don't know, but would suggest if he acted more or less like most conquerors of his time it would paint his actions in a
    different light relative to Hitler.
    Genghis Khan had a wooden structure whereupon victims such as princesses would be put beneath at a certain back braking angle. Then he together with his generals would step up and have a feast on top of this structure. Their weight would put pressure to such an angle that the princesses' back would be broken. This is a "honorable" bloodless death according to Mongols of the time. It is reserved for higher ranks.

    This is Genghis Khan participating in death by torture. Hitler may have ordered but he did not participate himself. Among other forms that I heard was putting tied POW's on a bag surrounded by cats. Then they would hit the cats from outside and the cats would scratch the POW's to inside the bag of death.
    Quote Originally Posted by poweRob View Post
    Stats come out and always show life getting better. News makes money in making you think its not.
    The Republic of Dardania is the proper name for: http://www.debatepolitics.com/europe...ification.html

  2. #72
    Sage
    DDD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Republic of Dardania
    Last Seen
    05-06-17 @ 06:00 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    12,173

    Re: Who's worse: Genghis Khan, or Hitler?

    Quote Originally Posted by Medusa View Post
    those barbaric turks
    I always confuse Atilla the Hun with Genghis Khan. Sometimes Turkiye's ancestors are traced all the way back to Mongolia. What of the Hun's?
    Quote Originally Posted by poweRob View Post
    Stats come out and always show life getting better. News makes money in making you think its not.
    The Republic of Dardania is the proper name for: http://www.debatepolitics.com/europe...ification.html

  3. #73
    Engineer

    RabidAlpaca's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    American in Europe
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:16 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    14,727

    Re: Who's worse: Genghis Khan, or Hitler?

    Quote Originally Posted by aberrant85 View Post
    Having lived so historically recently, Hitler is rightfully held up as the height of evilness of mankind. Go back some 700 years, though, and Genghis Khan fit that description just as well. Both men are similar, having wrecked havoc on the population of Eurasia in a relatively brief, swift reign of terror.

    While WWII was the deadliest war in history, with between 40 and 72 million deaths, the Mongol conquests come close, having result in between 30 and 70 million deaths. And by worldwide population, the Mongol conquests were much deadlier, 17% vs. 1-3% of living people having been killed.

    List of wars and anthropogenic disasters by death toll - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

    Each man committed genocide on an unprecedented scale, but today Genghis Khan enjoys an amount of notoriety, akin to that given to Alexander the Great.

    So is one man more evil than the other? And if so, who?
    Ted: This is a dude who, 700 years ago, totally ravaged China, and who, we were told, 2 hours ago, totally ravaged Oshman's Sporting Goods.

    Quote Originally Posted by LowDown View Post
    I've got to say that it is shadenfreudalicious to see the rich and famous fucquewads on the coast suffering from the fires.

  4. #74
    Sage
    Medusa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Turkey
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:58 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    38,263

    Re: Who's worse: Genghis Khan, or Hitler?

    Quote Originally Posted by DDD View Post
    I always confuse Atilla the Hun with Genghis Khan. Sometimes Turkiye's ancestors are traced all the way back to Mongolia. What of the Hun's?
    the first turkic tribe which was seen in europe

    Huns - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

    http://www.historyfiles.co.uk/Featur...barianHuns.htm
    Last edited by Medusa; 11-15-13 at 04:03 PM.
    "Sovereignty is not given, it is taken." ATATÜRK

  5. #75
    Sage
    Gaius46's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    New York
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    8,600

    Re: Who's worse: Genghis Khan, or Hitler?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ben K. View Post
    Yes. Indiscriminate murder of non-combatants, women and children after conquest was generally frowned upon. The Christians, Muslims and Chinese who were on the receiving end of Genghis' violence had rules of warfare.
    Thanks for the information. Not knowing much about that period of time my initial reaction was to assume that his actions probably weren't out of step with the times.
    Don't be a grammar nazi - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations, Book 1 #7

  6. #76
    Advisor aberrant85's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    SF Bay Area
    Last Seen
    10-04-15 @ 04:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    594

    Re: Who's worse: Genghis Khan, or Hitler?

    Quote Originally Posted by Gaius46 View Post
    Thanks for the information. Not knowing much about that period of time my initial reaction was to assume that his actions probably weren't out of step with the times.
    I think an appropriate question to ask about the nature of their evils is their intent. Khan seemed mostly motivated by ambition, while Hitler was mostly motivated by hate. However, does a less hateful nature diminish the impact of Khan's actions?

    I think of a character like Norman Bates from Psycho, who had a gentle demeanor and then killed without mercy, incapable of feeling. While somewhat sympathetic, he was nonetheless evil incarnate.

    The fact is that Hitler perfectly reflects our cartoonish idea of evil personified: a person that lives and breathes hatred and is motivated by horrible desires. He of course was evil. The truth is, though, that many other kinds of evil exist in different forms that are not so black and white to us.
    "Obamacare delenda est"

  7. #77
    Guru
    Ben K.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Dublin, Ireland
    Last Seen
    01-02-18 @ 05:02 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,717

    Re: Who's worse: Genghis Khan, or Hitler?

    Quote Originally Posted by aberrant85 View Post
    I think an appropriate question to ask about the nature of their evils is their intent. Khan seemed mostly motivated by ambition, while Hitler was mostly motivated by hate. However, does a less hateful nature diminish the impact of Khan's actions?

    I think of a character like Norman Bates from Psycho, who had a gentle demeanor and then killed without mercy, incapable of feeling. While somewhat sympathetic, he was nonetheless evil incarnate.

    The fact is that Hitler perfectly reflects our cartoonish idea of evil personified: a person that lives and breathes hatred and is motivated by horrible desires. He of course was evil. The truth is, though, that many other kinds of evil exist in different forms that are not so black and white to us.
    Can't say I agree. The cartoonishly evil torturous deaths prescribed by Genghis as mentioned by DDD goes well beyond ambition to pure sadism. He was undoubtedly a psychopath in charge if an army.

  8. #78
    On Vacation
    joko104's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Last Seen
    12-26-17 @ 12:12 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    31,569
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Who's worse: Genghis Khan, or Hitler?

    But Hitler was a vegetarian. So he couldn't have been ALL bad.

  9. #79
    On Vacation
    joko104's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Last Seen
    12-26-17 @ 12:12 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    31,569
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Who's worse: Genghis Khan, or Hitler?

    Quote Originally Posted by DDD View Post
    Genghis Khan had a wooden structure whereupon victims such as princesses would be put beneath at a certain back braking angle. Then he together with his generals would step up and have a feast on top of this structure. Their weight would put pressure to such an angle that the princesses' back would be broken. This is a "honorable" bloodless death according to Mongols of the time. It is reserved for higher ranks.

    This is Genghis Khan participating in death by torture. Hitler may have ordered but he did not participate himself. Among other forms that I heard was putting tied POW's on a bag surrounded by cats. Then they would hit the cats from outside and the cats would scratch the POW's to inside the bag of death.
    I dunno. Europeans seemed to most refine the most horrific ways to torture people to death. Literally came to declare they had turned it into a science.

  10. #80
    Sporadic insanity normal.


    The Mark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Last Seen
    01-17-18 @ 05:53 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    19,825

    Re: Who's worse: Genghis Khan, or Hitler?

    Quote Originally Posted by joko104 View Post
    But Hitler was a vegetarian. So he couldn't have been ALL bad.
    Actually that makes him worse.




    Education.

    Sometimes I think we're alone. Sometimes I think we're not. In either case, the thought is staggering. ~ R. Buckminster Fuller

Page 8 of 15 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •