View Poll Results: Is this serious or parody?

Voters
27. You may not vote on this poll
  • It is serious

    20 74.07%
  • It is parody

    1 3.70%
  • Rutabega > spuds

    6 22.22%
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 62

Thread: Serious or Parody?

  1. #21
    Sage

    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    The Republic of Texas.
    Last Seen
    11-15-17 @ 11:40 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    5,647

    Re: Serious or Parody?

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    If You Want a Conservative Child | National Review Online

    A sample:



    So, the question: is this supposed to be taken seriously, or is this a Colbert style parody? I really just cannot tell, but the article is good for many laughs.
    From the quoted part, I would say not only is the author serious, but actually has some very, very good and accurate points. However, the assumption that the "religious right' is conservationism, other than socially conservative, is a load of crap. That faction prior to the 1960s and the adoption of the liberal hatred of religion was actually on the "left" and part of the DNC.

    However, blaming religion or lack of it for many of the things that are pointed out about the character, or rather the lack of character, on the left is inaccurate. A very large number of Catholics vote to the left. A very, very large number of Black adherents to Southern Baptist and other religions vote the left constantly. So obviously, Religion and an additional year of religious training has absolutely nothing to do with people have sufficient retardation of their brains in certain areas to make the Leftist. The problem is mental retardation not religion.
    Only a fool measures equality by results and not opportunities.

  2. #22
    Resident Martian ;)
    PirateMk1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    California
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:14 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Private
    Posts
    9,927

    Re: Serious or Parody?

    Quote Originally Posted by cpwill View Post
    Saying that actions talk louder than words is not an effective critique of the point that words should be included. Children will not learn what they are not taught.
    You are entitled to your opinion. I was just stating mine. Children learn far more from what you actually DO. Little eyes are always watching. In fact if you talk to CC I bet he would confirm this.
    Semper Fidelis, Semper Liber.
    I spit at lots of people through my computer screen. Not only does it "teach them a lesson" but it keeps the screen clean and shiny.
    Stolen fair and square from the Capt. Courtesey himself.

  3. #23
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    (none)
    Last Seen
    04-04-15 @ 09:11 PM
    Lean
    Communist
    Posts
    6,112
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Serious or Parody?

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    If You Want a Conservative Child | National Review Online

    A sample:



    So, the question: is this supposed to be taken seriously, or is this a Colbert style parody? I really just cannot tell, but the article is good for many laughs.
    David Mills is a huge critic of self esteem. I tend to believe that a better philosophy of life is, "I have no self esteem. I only have positive experiences and negative experiences."

    http://davidmills.net/Overcoming-Self-Esteem.pdf

  4. #24
    Sage
    cpwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    USofA
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:03 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    57,148

    Re: Serious or Parody?

    Quote Originally Posted by PirateMk1 View Post
    You are entitled to your opinion. I was just stating mine. Children learn far more from what you actually DO. Little eyes are always watching. In fact if you talk to CC I bet he would confirm this.
    i'm not contending with that - I am contending with what you seemed to be suggesting; that explaining the why of actions was not a necessary corollary if you wish for the child to be able to sustain challenge.

  5. #25
    Resident Martian ;)
    PirateMk1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    California
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:14 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Private
    Posts
    9,927

    Re: Serious or Parody?

    Quote Originally Posted by cpwill View Post
    i'm not contending with that - I am contending with what you seemed to be suggesting; that explaining the why of actions was not a necessary corollary if you wish for the child to be able to sustain challenge.
    I never contended that. I AM contending propaganda will be seen for what it is. Don't get me wrong the man does have good points, they are just buried in bull****. His first point is the main one I have my prime contention with. By the time children get to college they are pretty much the people they are going to be. His second point is basically the same as his first. His third point has some merit as most people don't really know what direction they want to go at that age, so they need time to actually think about. He has point of sorts in his fourth contention self esteem is earned , which I agree with, though success breeds success. Fifthly and lastly character and moral compass is instilled way before they ever get to college, and that is done by example and answering questions and yes explaining why you do what you do. But know this if you are hypocritical about what you say and do that lesson WILL take, its just not the one you want to take. Children are far more intelligence and insightful then nonparents realize. Parents have to be cognizant of this fact children are sponges and will absorb EVERYTHING.
    Semper Fidelis, Semper Liber.
    I spit at lots of people through my computer screen. Not only does it "teach them a lesson" but it keeps the screen clean and shiny.
    Stolen fair and square from the Capt. Courtesey himself.

  6. #26
    Sage
    Mach's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Texas
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    11,513

    Re: Serious or Parody?

    Quote Originally Posted by PirateMk1 View Post
    You are entitled to your opinion. I was just stating mine. Children learn far more from what you actually DO. Little eyes are always watching. In fact if you talk to CC I bet he would confirm this.
    Without a doubt. A parent who says one thing and does another is likely teaching a very important lessons, that children should say one thing, and do another. The average kid is a ****ing savant when it comes to learning, compared to adults.

  7. #27
    Sewer Rat
    Risky Thicket's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:45 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    23,809

    Re: Serious or Parody?

    Praeger's premise got smoked before it left his brain. He assumes that everyone agreeing with him is in agreement with what conservatism is today, in 2013. I have a neighbor, good guy, far right conservatism who thinks Christie should be deported in the middle of the night. My brother, who is a conservative, thinks Christie represents a return to real conservatism, the conservatism he believed in for many years. My cousin is an ardent supporter of Tea Partisan conservatism. I have another cousin who is a very born again member of the GOP and a former state senator. None of them agree with what conservatism is or what it should be. I can guaran-damn-tee you my brother would not raise his children to be the kind of conservatives my neighbor or my cousins are. Also, aside from all of the above there are beaucoup conservatives who fervently wish to keep religion out of government.

    Praeger seems oblivious to the notion that religion isn't something everyone wants in their political party. In fact, Praeger's myopia underscores the GOP/conservatism's inability or unwillingness to recognize other factions under the conservative umbrella. Praeger isn't talking to perhaps the majority of conservatives who are not religious or not that religious or who simply believe that religion is a personal matter and not a political matter.

    The GOP is a blazing donnybrook today. A complete mess. Factions in the GOP are almost at war with each other as they wrestle for control. I was once a registered Republican, but when the party left me I said, "Adios" and never invited them back. Conservatism is not today what it once was to me. It will surely not be in the future what it is today. What Praeger is preaching is continued factionalism within the GOP and conservatism and he'd like conservatives to pass it along to their children.
    Last edited by Risky Thicket; 11-14-13 at 03:11 PM.










    "When Faith preaches Hate, Blessed are the Doubters." - Amin Maalouf

    When trouble arises and things look bad, there is always one individual who perceives a solution and is willing to take command. Very often, that person is crazy. ~Dave Barry



  8. #28
    Sage
    Medusa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Turkey
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 12:16 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    38,081

    Re: Serious or Parody?

    is there really a "left" in america ,thats the question

    such arguments are always raised by capitalists that use the religion to limit people's resistance to injustice ,not real conservatives
    "Sovereignty is not given, it is taken." ATATÜRK

  9. #29
    Sage
    shrubnose's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Europe
    Last Seen
    11-29-17 @ 03:46 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    18,851
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Serious or Parody?

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    If You Want a Conservative Child | National Review Online

    A sample:



    So, the question: is this supposed to be taken seriously, or is this a Colbert style parody? I really just cannot tell, but the article is good for many laughs.



    I found the article at the link laughable but Dennis Prager is not a humorist.

    What he has written is a deadly serious piece about how right-wing parents can brainwash their unsuspecting children into becoming right-wing robots without a single independent thought.

  10. #30
    Sage
    mak2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Indiana
    Last Seen
    07-08-16 @ 01:58 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    12,050

    Re: Serious or Parody?

    Like I said before, I know lots of these people and was raised by them. This aint funny, it is very real.
    Quote Originally Posted by shrubnose View Post
    Dennis Prager is not a humorist.

    What he has written is a deadly serious piece about how right-wing parents can brainwash their unsuspecting children into becoming right-wing robots without a single independent thought.
    God Bless the Marine Corps.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •