View Poll Results: Sould the drop out grade be lowered

Voters
41. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    10 24.39%
  • Keep it the same

    11 26.83%
  • the grade shouldent exist and they should stay in school till 12th grade

    20 48.78%
Page 17 of 21 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 ... LastLast
Results 161 to 170 of 210

Thread: Minimum drop out age

  1. #161
    Sage
    Fisher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Last Seen
    12-06-13 @ 02:44 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    17,002

    Re: Minimum drop out age

    Quote Originally Posted by FreedomFromAll View Post
    You provided old links to news media sites, thats not evidence. And i dont care what your flunky extended family does or says. Two people are not big numbers anyways even if I did believe you. The you cry wolf and assert that these parents never hear anything at all. lmao.

    Parents Arrested For Not Teaching Their Home-schooled Children Say They're Innocent | WFSU

    ANd the court papers https://docs.google.com/viewer?url=h...3100212370.pdf

    An analysis of Georgia laws and home schooling. http://www.hslda.org/laws/analysis/Georgia.pdf

    And this shows what states are lacking on home schooling laws and those who are not. HSLDA | Home School Laws




    green - States requiring no notice: No state requirement for parents to initiate any contact.
    yellow - States with low regulation: State requires parental notification only.
    orange - States with moderate regulation: State requires parents to send notification, test scores, and/or professional evaluation of student progress.
    red -States with high regulation: State requires parents to send notification or achievement test scores and/or professional evaluation, plus other requirements (e.g. curriculum approval by the state, teacher qualification of parents, or home visits by state officials).

    Notice there not every state is like Texas.

    I do have two school age children. They both attend public schools. But if circumstances changed I would like to retain my right as a parent to teach my own children legally. Of course we should all be home schooling our kids, but we circumstances do not allows allow that. At the very least parents should still teach their children even if they are in the best school that money can buy. Its the parents responsibility, not someone like you that have relatives that dont care about their kids.
    You can get your panties in as twisted of a wad about home schooling as you want, but it does not change the fact that homeschooling is used as a cover for drop outs in districts that do not want to lose their funding. My child that goes to school goes to private school because I am willing to pay for my children to have a leg up, but some people apparently do not care enough about their children so they send them to public school or home school them......see how fun that is.

  2. #162
    Sporadic insanity normal.


    The Mark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 01:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    19,736

    Re: Minimum drop out age

    Quote Originally Posted by FreedomFromAll View Post
    You provided old links to news media sites, thats not evidence. And i dont care what your flunky extended family does or says. Two people are not big numbers anyways even if I did believe you. The you cry wolf and assert that these parents never hear anything at all. lmao.

    Parents Arrested For Not Teaching Their Home-schooled Children Say They're Innocent | WFSU

    ANd the court papers https://docs.google.com/viewer?url=h...3100212370.pdf

    An analysis of Georgia laws and home schooling. http://www.hslda.org/laws/analysis/Georgia.pdf

    And this shows what states are lacking on home schooling laws and those who are not. HSLDA | Home School Laws




    green - States requiring no notice: No state requirement for parents to initiate any contact.
    yellow - States with low regulation: State requires parental notification only.
    orange - States with moderate regulation: State requires parents to send notification, test scores, and/or professional evaluation of student progress.
    red -States with high regulation: State requires parents to send notification or achievement test scores and/or professional evaluation, plus other requirements (e.g. curriculum approval by the state, teacher qualification of parents, or home visits by state officials).

    Notice there not every state is like Texas.

    I do have two school age children. They both attend public schools. But if circumstances changed I would like to retain my right as a parent to teach my own children legally. Of course we should all be home schooling our kids, but we circumstances do not allows allow that. At the very least parents should still teach their children even if they are in the best school that money can buy. Its the parents responsibility, not someone like you that have relatives that dont care about their kids.
    I was homeschooled in PA, and I can confirm that every year my parents had to compile a folder displaying my training for the year, and haul me and the folder to a former teacher who basically would say "yes, new grade next year". Also, "do this next year".
    Education.

    Sometimes I think we're alone. Sometimes I think we're not. In either case, the thought is staggering. ~ R. Buckminster Fuller

  3. #163
    Sage
    Gaius46's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    New York
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 01:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    8,441

    Re: Minimum drop out age

    Quote Originally Posted by Chiefgator View Post
    And to that I agree... The trend that I have seen has been a focus on critical thinking in many areas. I think that is a great way to go. Rote memorization is a horrible way to learn.

    I was once the an evaluator for an Aircrew position in the Navy. I had a a reputation of being the hardest evaluator out there. I was not harder, I just requred you to think. For example, instead of asking "What frequency(s) does the PRC90 survival radio have?" To which everyone had memorized, I would ask "You have survived the crash and now want to talk to the search aircraft, what frequency do you dial up?" It required a little more in-depth (and much more meaningful) knowlege that spouting off the two frequencies when you had to know that One was for SAR coordination and one was, most likely, going to be clobbered by the emergency beacon.

    Sadly, many Crewmen, that flew every day, could tell you the trivia of how much a radio weighed, but not how to use it. Changing that, was one of my main goals in that position. I am happy to say that when my son took his check flight last summer, the questions there were asked were almost all "critical thinking" types.
    Bravo. I did the same as a flight instructor. The FAA has a mania about trivia - for example I failed my first attempt at my flight instructor certificate simply because I couldn't tell the examiner where the DME antenna was on the aircraft we were using. Passed everything else - 6 hour oral, 2 hour flying and teaching demonstration.

    I did the same with my students. It wasn't "What's an ILS?" but "Walk me through the general procedure for an instrument letdown starting from when you contact the approach controller" Anyone can memorize triva. Real understanding comes from knowing to apply what you memorized.
    Don't be a grammar nazi - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations, Book 1 #7

  4. #164
    Anti political parties
    FreedomFromAll's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    New Mexico USA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:02 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    12,040

    Re: Minimum drop out age

    Quote Originally Posted by Fisher View Post
    You can get your panties in as twisted of a wad about home schooling as you want, but it does not change the fact that homeschooling is used as a cover for drop outs in districts that do not want to lose their funding. My child that goes to school goes to private school because I am willing to pay for my children to have a leg up, but some people apparently do not care enough about their children so they send them to public school or home school them......see how fun that is.
    I guess I have to point out the obvious: Being kicked out of public schools is not dropping out of public schools. And pulling a child from public schools by the parents is not dropping out of school.
    DROPOUT - A student who, for any reason other than death, leaves school before graduation without transferring to another school/institution. Note the word school, now note the same word in home schooling.

    And thats great that you have the freedom to send your kid to a private school.

  5. #165
    Educator
    MichaelJR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Suckachusetts
    Last Seen
    05-25-16 @ 09:33 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    1,089

    Re: Minimum drop out age

    Why isn't there a, "Who cares? Your child is clearly a functional window licker for trying to leave school at 16, and if your kid is dumb enough to leave school, maybe we should let nature take course", option?

  6. #166
    Student
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Australia
    Last Seen
    01-05-14 @ 01:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    189

    Re: Minimum drop out age

    Quote Originally Posted by specklebang View Post
    ...and your opinion? Or is this OPINION© pice exactly your thougyts?



    Too many years since I've been in school. I wanted to work. I wanted to save money. My parents didn't do "allowances". School bored the hell out of me.

    So I dropped out, got a GED, traveled the world, opened businesses and always had the advantage of starting earlier than my classmates.

    So, it depends on why you want to drop out and from what I can tell, "public education" is less than excellent since all of it is geared to the lowest denominator.
    To put it briefly, I got expelled in the 7th grade and had no further formal education thereafter (I'm 71). I eventually became a Radio Lineman/Rigger with a government department. At 49 I started my own business employing 20 or so men installing microwave links etc. It was so successful I retired quite comfortable financially at age 55. All my "educated" mates worked for a boss and retired on a shoe string pension. I'm so glad I didn't take the establishment's so called "education" (read brainwashing) system that turned out identical widgets by the millions. One of my favourite songs is "Little Boxes"

  7. #167
    Educator
    Chiefgator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Lake Jem, FL pop:35
    Last Seen
    05-08-15 @ 08:21 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    1,172

    Re: Minimum drop out age

    Quote Originally Posted by Fisher View Post
    You can get your panties in as twisted of a wad about home schooling as you want, but it does not change the fact that homeschooling is used as a cover for drop outs in districts that do not want to lose their funding. My child that goes to school goes to private school because I am willing to pay for my children to have a leg up, but some people apparently do not care enough about their children so they send them to public school or home school them......see how fun that is.
    Wow......... Just wow!
    As a dreamer of dreams and a travellin' man, I have chalked up many a mile.
    Read dozens of books about heroes and crooks and I've learned much from both of their styles!

  8. #168
    The Light of Truth
    Northern Light's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:16 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,948

    Re: Minimum drop out age

    If our education system were closer to ideal, I would support mandatory high school diplomas for everyone. But because the system is so damaged right now, I don't blame young people for wanting to leave.

    Besides, I did adult night school when I was 21 because I decided to pursue science in university and didn't have certain HS pre-reqs. The adult version of high school is much, much nicer. I'm not sure I necessarily agree with forcing children to sit at desks all day. Their education should be more experiential to help them build their core talents and personalities. I think adults understand the value of education way better than kids under 18, which is why university tends to be so much more pleasant.

  9. #169
    Sporadic insanity normal.


    The Mark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 01:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    19,736

    Re: Minimum drop out age

    Quote Originally Posted by Fisher View Post
    Y...but some people apparently do not care enough about their children so they send them to public school or home school them......see how fun that is.
    Quality of public school education is at least partially dependent on the quality of the parents. Homeschooling even moreso (entirely?)

    Your statement is inaccurate.

    Level of care parents have for their children is not related to schooling choice.
    Education.

    Sometimes I think we're alone. Sometimes I think we're not. In either case, the thought is staggering. ~ R. Buckminster Fuller

  10. #170
    Phonetic Mnemonic ©
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:00 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,397

    Re: Minimum drop out age

    Quote Originally Posted by The Misanthrope View Post
    To put it briefly, I got expelled in the 7th grade and had no further formal education thereafter (I'm 71). I eventually became a Radio Lineman/Rigger with a government department. At 49 I started my own business employing 20 or so men installing microwave links etc. It was so successful I retired quite comfortable financially at age 55. All my "educated" mates worked for a boss and retired on a shoe string pension. I'm so glad I didn't take the establishment's so called "education" (read brainwashing) system that turned out identical widgets by the millions. One of my favourite songs is "Little Boxes"
    'A' students work for 'C' students.
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

Page 17 of 21 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •