View Poll Results: Sould the drop out grade be lowered

Voters
41. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    10 24.39%
  • Keep it the same

    11 26.83%
  • the grade shouldent exist and they should stay in school till 12th grade

    20 48.78%
Page 14 of 21 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast
Results 131 to 140 of 210

Thread: Minimum drop out age

  1. #131
    Sage
    Fisher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Last Seen
    12-06-13 @ 02:44 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    17,002

    Re: Minimum drop out age

    Quote Originally Posted by FreedomFromAll View Post
    Home schooling? WTH does that have to do with keeping kids in public schools longer?
    because kids don't drop out any more--they are released to "home schooling" to cook the No Child Left Behind numbers.

  2. #132
    Anti political parties
    FreedomFromAll's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    New Mexico USA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:42 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    12,191

    Re: Minimum drop out age

    Quote Originally Posted by Fisher View Post
    because kids don't drop out any more--they are released to "home schooling" to cook the No Child Left Behind numbers.
    And what is that number of home schoolers that fit your conclusion? ANy proof?

  3. #133
    Sage
    Fisher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Last Seen
    12-06-13 @ 02:44 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    17,002

    Re: Minimum drop out age

    Quote Originally Posted by FreedomFromAll View Post
    And what is that number of home schoolers that fit your conclusion? ANy proof?
    No I just make things up when I want to. I guess you busted me.....oh shoot, wait....

    Home truths: Are Texas high schools hiding their dropout rates behind home-schooling - Houston Chronicle

    States Hide Big High School Dropout Rates - They send 1 set of numbers to DC, keep another set at home

  4. #134
    Anti political parties
    FreedomFromAll's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    New Mexico USA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:42 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    12,191

    Re: Minimum drop out age

    Quote Originally Posted by Fisher View Post
    No I just make things up when I want to. I guess you busted me.....oh shoot, wait....

    Home truths: Are Texas high schools hiding their dropout rates behind home-schooling - Houston Chronicle
    Those are 2008 numbers. What about now?

    When this story ran ironically the same year this story ran as well: Home school numbers on the decline - Kingman Daily Miner - Kingman, Arizona That was in 2008 you really had to go back in time find something didnt you?

    And those numbers do not take in account why a student stopped going to a public school and is being home schooled. You seem to be assuming that every home schooled student is there because they dropped out of school. But a drop out isnt a student that moves to a different mode of education they are actually dropping out of schooling entirely. So your claim then is false.

  5. #135
    Sage
    Fisher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Last Seen
    12-06-13 @ 02:44 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    17,002

    Re: Minimum drop out age

    Quote Originally Posted by FreedomFromAll View Post
    Those are 2008 numbers. What about now?

    When this story ran ironically the same year this story ran as well: Home school numbers on the decline - Kingman Daily Miner - Kingman, Arizona That was in 2008 you really had to go back in time find something didnt you?

    And those numbers do not take in account why a student stopped going to a public school and is being home schooled. You seem to be assuming that every home schooled student is there because they dropped out of school. But a drop out isnt a student that moves to a different mode of education they are actually dropping out of schooling entirely. So your claim then is false.
    No, you asked for evidence I provided it. Bellyache all you want but the entire national education model is based on the TEXAS model that used fake numbers to impose itself on the nation. My claim is not "therefore false" because you want it to be. If you are going to erect a proper strawman, you should at least develop some skill at it. There are two relatives in two different districts in my extended family who used "released to home schooling" as a way to drop out when they could not officially drop out. You provide proof you have purchased some home schooling/GED plan and you never hear from the school systems again and never have to complete the program. Sorry, you lose.

  6. #136
    Sage
    Bodhisattva's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    New Zealand
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:51 AM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    64,342

    Re: Minimum drop out age

    Quote Originally Posted by Helix View Post
    i don't doubt that you are correct. i'm arguing that not letting kids drop out before a minimal level of education would have positive societal benefits.
    Of course... but what is that minimum level? I think basic math skills prior to algebra with some basic geometry... essay and writing skills, reading comprehension, basic geography, balancing a check book (bank account)... basically nothing past a 9th or 10th grade education. For those that are doing poorly, are priority learners or not interested there should be a skills pathway. We are doing a dis-service to so many that will not be going a professional route. Wasting time, money, etc. The system needs a revamp.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have pooped in public, even in public neighborhoods.
    Quote Originally Posted by OldFatGuy View Post
    Usually a gag for wise mouthed insulting little girls. Then some good nylon rope so I can tie them up, toss them in the trunk of my car and forget about them.

  7. #137
    Educator
    Chiefgator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Lake Jem, FL pop:35
    Last Seen
    05-08-15 @ 08:21 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    1,172

    Re: Minimum drop out age

    Quote Originally Posted by Fisher View Post
    No, you asked for evidence I provided it. Bellyache all you want but the entire national education model is based on the TEXAS model that used fake numbers to impose itself on the nation. My claim is not "therefore false" because you want it to be. If you are going to erect a proper strawman, you should at least develop some skill at it. There are two relatives in two different districts in my extended family who used "released to home schooling" as a way to drop out when they could not officially drop out. You provide proof you have purchased some home schooling/GED plan and you never hear from the school systems again and never have to complete the program. Sorry, you lose.
    This is the first that I have heard of this tactic. But it certainly makes sense. I would be interested to see some more current data. Thank you.

    Looing back at it, we had to home school our son for a year because of an illness. I was shocked at how easy it way to get him disenrolled and enrolled into a home school set up. My wife and I are educated, but I think it is a farce to say that an uneducated parent can give the same education as a public school. You also don't get the social interaction skills that being in a public setting brings.
    As a dreamer of dreams and a travellin' man, I have chalked up many a mile.
    Read dozens of books about heroes and crooks and I've learned much from both of their styles!

  8. #138
    Global Moderator
    Moderator
    Helix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:49 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    37,785

    Re: Minimum drop out age

    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
    Of course... but what is that minimum level? I think basic math skills prior to algebra with some basic geometry... essay and writing skills, reading comprehension, basic geography, balancing a check book (bank account)... basically nothing past a 9th or 10th grade education. For those that are doing poorly, are priority learners or not interested there should be a skills pathway. We are doing a dis-service to so many that will not be going a professional route. Wasting time, money, etc. The system needs a revamp.
    my local high school has vocational programs for the kids who aren't going to college. That's probably the best way to do it. However, graduation should still be required.

  9. #139
    Phonetic Mnemonic
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:16 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,823

    Re: Minimum drop out age

    Quote Originally Posted by Helix View Post
    it's my opinion that dropping out should not be allowed at all, because there is a significant societal cost. a high school education should be the bare minimum; problem students can be channeled into at-risk programs.
    We already have "continuation" high schools that serve that purpose, and their success is dubious at best. How would you enforce the actual getting of an education/diploma for kids who seriously have no interest?
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

  10. #140
    Sage
    longview's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Texas
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    14,729

    Re: Minimum drop out age

    Perhaps we need to reevaluate what our schools do.
    I know in education circles, vocational education is a bad word,
    but maybe it is time to add a craft/skill track as a possible option for students.
    By the end of 10th grade, they likely know if College is in their near future.
    Knowing Plumbing, HVAC, or even how to cut hair,
    could vastly enhance their lives, over minimum wage jobs.
    We each need different things, at different points in life,
    Sometimes we would like someone to discuss Lock's natural laws,
    other times, we need a plumber who knows how to stop that pipe from leaking.

Page 14 of 21 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •