View Poll Results: Would You Support Militarizing The Mexican Border?

Voters
137. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    60 43.80%
  • Some Measures

    22 16.06%
  • No

    55 40.15%
Page 19 of 28 FirstFirst ... 91718192021 ... LastLast
Results 181 to 190 of 280

Thread: Would You Support Militarizing The Border With Mexico?

  1. #181
    Guru
    Smeagol's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Last Seen
    02-19-17 @ 11:35 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,147

    Re: Would You Support Militarizing The Border With Mexico?

    The biggest problem with Mexico is the drug cartels. There are other problems but drugs are the biggest. Deal with the drug problem and half the problem will go away. How to deal with it is another question, however. Legalize it, clamp down, treat it like a military conflict, come up with an invasive GMO crop that has some additional benefit like a nutritious food product or fuel source while it kills off coca or makes it ineffective, who knows?

    Over the long term I wouldn't be opposed to Mexico, Canada and the Caribbean eventually being annexed into the US. The key phrase is "over the long term" that will allow plenty of time for those areas to gradually become "Americanized," which is already happening on its own especially culturally. The Bahamas has linked its currency value to the US dollar; a 1 to 1 exchange rate. All of the Caribbean watches American TV and movies and most of their more popular radio stations play American music. In Mexico, students are required to take English classes every single year and as a result almost everyone is bi-lingual. What I've learned is the illegal Mexican immigrants we see in America are not average Mexicans for the most part but are very low economic and social ladder even there comparable to our homeless and welfare class. When I was in Mexico this year most of the cars I saw on the road were newer than mine. We got to drive through a residential neighborhood and it looked like a typical middle-class American neighborhood. We saw a Sam's Club and a grocery store and it looked like we could have been in Louisiana or Georgia.
    Having opinions all over the map is a good sign of a person capable of autonomous thinking. Felix -2011

  2. #182
    Sage
    Dittohead not!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    The Golden State
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:33 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    41,604

    Re: Would You Support Militarizing The Border With Mexico?

    Quote Originally Posted by Smeagol View Post
    The biggest problem with Mexico is the drug cartels. There are other problems but drugs are the biggest. Deal with the drug problem and half the problem will go away. How to deal with it is another question, however. Legalize it, clamp down, treat it like a military conflict, come up with an invasive GMO crop that has some additional benefit like a nutritious food product or fuel source while it kills off coca or makes it ineffective, who knows?

    Over the long term I wouldn't be opposed to Mexico, Canada and the Caribbean eventually being annexed into the US. The key phrase is "over the long term" that will allow plenty of time for those areas to gradually become "Americanized," which is already happening on its own especially culturally. The Bahamas has linked its currency value to the US dollar; a 1 to 1 exchange rate. All of the Caribbean watches American TV and movies and most of their more popular radio stations play American music. In Mexico, students are required to take English classes every single year and as a result almost everyone is bi-lingual. What I've learned is the illegal Mexican immigrants we see in America are not average Mexicans for the most part but are very low economic and social ladder even there comparable to our homeless and welfare class. When I was in Mexico this year most of the cars I saw on the road were newer than mine. We got to drive through a residential neighborhood and it looked like a typical middle-class American neighborhood. We saw a Sam's Club and a grocery store and it looked like we could have been in Louisiana or Georgia.
    Imperialism was tried back in the 19th. century. It didn't work out so well for the imperialists nor for the nations in their empires.
    "Donald Trump is a phony, a fraud... [he's] playing the American public for suckers." Mitt Romney

  3. #183
    Sage
    OldWorldOrder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Last Seen
    10-12-15 @ 12:13 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    5,820

    Re: Would You Support Militarizing The Border With Mexico?

    Imperialism has been tried for all of human history, actually.
    The whole modern world has divided itself into Conservatives and Progressives. The business of Progressives is to go on making mistakes. The business of Conservatives is to prevent mistakes from being corrected.
    -GK Chesterton

  4. #184
    Sage
    Dittohead not!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    The Golden State
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:33 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    41,604

    Re: Would You Support Militarizing The Border With Mexico?

    Quote Originally Posted by OldWorldOrder View Post
    Imperialism has been tried for all of human history, actually.
    Yes, it has.

    And it hasn't proven terribly practical in the modern world, has it?
    "Donald Trump is a phony, a fraud... [he's] playing the American public for suckers." Mitt Romney

  5. #185
    Sage

    Mason66's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:58 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,483

    Re: Would You Support Militarizing The Border With Mexico?

    Quote Originally Posted by Smeagol View Post
    When I was in Mexico this year most of the cars I saw on the road were newer than mine.

    What are of Mexico did you go to that the cars were newer?

  6. #186
    Sage
    OldWorldOrder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Last Seen
    10-12-15 @ 12:13 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    5,820

    Re: Would You Support Militarizing The Border With Mexico?

    Quote Originally Posted by Dittohead not! View Post
    Yes, it has.

    And it hasn't proven terribly practical in the modern world, has it?
    I think it's a mixed bag. The US has certainly benefited from it, hasn't it? Considering the nation started on the eastern seaboard and went from there.
    The whole modern world has divided itself into Conservatives and Progressives. The business of Progressives is to go on making mistakes. The business of Conservatives is to prevent mistakes from being corrected.
    -GK Chesterton

  7. #187
    Guru
    Smeagol's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Last Seen
    02-19-17 @ 11:35 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,147

    Re: Would You Support Militarizing The Border With Mexico?

    Quote Originally Posted by Mason66 View Post
    What are of Mexico did you go to that the cars were newer?
    Quintana Roo
    Having opinions all over the map is a good sign of a person capable of autonomous thinking. Felix -2011

  8. #188
    Sage
    Dittohead not!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    The Golden State
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:33 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    41,604

    Re: Would You Support Militarizing The Border With Mexico?

    Quote Originally Posted by OldWorldOrder View Post
    I think it's a mixed bag. The US has certainly benefited from it, hasn't it? Considering the nation started on the eastern seaboard and went from there.
    It benefited from having won the revolutionary war at any rate.

    Looking back, I see I misinterpreted your post. I was thinking in terms of the US being a colony, and not a colonizer. Certainly, the US benefited from westward expansion into territories mostly occupied by various tribes of native Americans. I'm not sure how that would apply to a modern day takeover of neighboring countries, as was suggested above, however.
    Last edited by Dittohead not!; 11-12-14 at 01:01 PM.
    "Donald Trump is a phony, a fraud... [he's] playing the American public for suckers." Mitt Romney

  9. #189
    Sage
    OldWorldOrder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Last Seen
    10-12-15 @ 12:13 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    5,820

    Re: Would You Support Militarizing The Border With Mexico?

    Quote Originally Posted by Dittohead not! View Post
    It benefited from having won the revolutionary war at any rate.
    It didn't benefit from western expansion, taking lands from Mexico, etc? It didn't benefit from gunboat diplomacy?

    I just find it very odd to say imperialism always fails. Sometimes it does, sometimes it doesn't.
    The whole modern world has divided itself into Conservatives and Progressives. The business of Progressives is to go on making mistakes. The business of Conservatives is to prevent mistakes from being corrected.
    -GK Chesterton

  10. #190
    Sage
    Ontologuy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:18 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    5,516

    Re: Would You Support Militarizing The Border With Mexico?

    Back to the OP topic ..

    .. Before Obama can legalize any illegal aliens he has to put a cap on it.

    So something will have to then be done to keep more from sneaking under the cap.

    Thus, if he behaves with any rational thinking about protecting his nation's borders, something considerably more will need to be done than has been done in the past.

    We have a Coast Guard.

    Maybe we need a Border Guard.

    That would, understandably, be a military branch.
    You don't trust Trump? Well, there's only one way to leverage him to do what's economically right for us all: Powerful American Political Alliance. Got courage?! .. and a mere $5.00?

Page 19 of 28 FirstFirst ... 91718192021 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •