View Poll Results: Which of these required insurance policy provisions you must buy applies to you?

Voters
9. You may not vote on this poll
  • I am a drug addict and want medical treatment

    1 11.11%
  • I am an alcoholic and need medical treatment

    1 11.11%
  • I am going to be pregnant and need prenatal care

    1 11.11%
  • I am a newborn and need newborn insurance for this

    1 11.11%
  • I am in prison and need medical insurance for this

    1 11.11%
  • I want to give 20% of my medical expenses to profit a corporation

    3 33.33%
  • I am psychotic and need pyschiatric care

    2 22.22%
  • I need mammograms in my insurance

    4 44.44%
  • I need breastfeeding insurance

    3 33.33%
  • I have an extra $12,000 cash per year for my deductable

    2 22.22%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 52

Thread: Do any of these required insuance clauses required by ObamaCare apply to you?

  1. #41
    Irremovable Intelligence
    Removable Mind's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Austin, Texas
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:27 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    23,480

    Re: Do any of these required insuance clauses required by ObamaCare apply to you?

    A few months ago I went to the emergency room for "chest pains". I did that because in 2009 I had heart surgery, which ran about $130,000, so naturally chest pains might be a serious problem for me.

    12 hours in the emergency room was over $16,000.00. Tests of various kinds were conducted, but no invasive procedures were performed. The diagnosis was "inflation of chest muscles and connective tissue" around ribs and the breast bone located over the heart area. Why did that happen? Nobody knows. I didn't do any activities that might have led to that occurring.

    $16,000.00 is a chunk of buckitos for most folks. And especially a person who doesn't have insurances to at least pay for 80 percent...or hell...even 50 percent. But if I didn't have insurance there's a good chance no company would insure me now...well, under the system where insurance companies considered me a high risk.

    I'm lucky to have a superior insurance with no current threat that would force me to relinquish it. Or surrender it for an exchange insurance. Not yet. But who knows? Anything is possible now days.

  2. #42
    On Vacation
    joko104's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Last Seen
    12-03-17 @ 03:32 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    31,568
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Do any of these required insuance clauses required by ObamaCare apply to you?

    Quote Originally Posted by Removable Mind View Post
    A few months ago I went to the emergency room for "chest pains". I did that because in 2009 I had heart surgery, which ran about $130,000, so naturally chest pains might be a serious problem for me.

    12 hours in the emergency room was over $16,000.00. Tests of various kinds were conducted, but no invasive procedures were performed. The diagnosis was "inflation of chest muscles and connective tissue" around ribs and the breast bone located over the heart area. Why did that happen? Nobody knows. I didn't do any activities that might have led to that occurring.

    $16,000.00 is a chunk of buckitos for most folks. And especially a person who doesn't have insurances to at least pay for 80 percent...or hell...even 50 percent. But if I didn't have insurance there's a good chance no company would insure me now...well, under the system where insurance companies considered me a high risk.

    I'm lucky to have a superior insurance with no current threat that would force me to relinquish it. Or surrender it for an exchange insurance. Not yet. But who knows? Anything is possible now days.
    Under the "silver" plan, for that $16,000 procedure, you would need $5,000 + $6400 co-pay. Meaning insurance would have paid $3,400 of it. Your annual insurance premium likely was higher - so even with no insurance it would have cost you LESS than with an ACA silver plan. Since the premiums go up for the gold and platinum plan, it is likely you would have spent more with ACA insurance than no insurance at all.

    Besides, knowing you had chest pains you could have quickly signed up for ACA insurance at that point in them and then had the insurance anyway.

  3. #43
    Irremovable Intelligence
    Removable Mind's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Austin, Texas
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:27 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    23,480

    Re: Do any of these required insuance clauses required by ObamaCare apply to you?

    Quote Originally Posted by joko104 View Post
    Under the "silver" plan, for that $16,000 procedure, you would need $5,000 + $6400 co-pay. Meaning insurance would have paid $3,400 of it. Your annual insurance premium likely was higher - so even with no insurance it would have cost you LESS than with an ACA silver plan. Since the premiums go up for the gold and platinum plan, it is likely you would have spent more with ACA insurance than no insurance at all.

    Besides, knowing you had chest pains you could have quickly signed up for ACA insurance at that point in them and then had the insurance anyway.
    In comparison...I would say that I have currently have a private plan that would be the equivalent of what might be called the Rhodium Plan. My out of pocket costs for services and medicines aren't that painful for me. My out of pocket for 130,000 heart surgery was less than 5 percent. Can't complain about that. Again, I'm extremely grateful and lucky to have the insurance that I have. Premiums...hmmmm...are what one might expect for such a plan.

    But I do wanna say that if I had offered cash money for my heart surgery. The price would have been significantly less.

    In the end, it's a pay me now or pay me later situation. I consider the cost of the plan - like everything else related to medical costs - outrageous.

    It's expensive to be alive. Every year I live...gets more expensive. And it's getting pretty damn expensive to die.

  4. #44
    Sage


    MaggieD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Chicago Area
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    43,242
    Blog Entries
    43

    Re: Do any of these required insuance clauses required by ObamaCare apply to you?

    Quote Originally Posted by joko104 View Post
    Calling coverage for pre-existing conditions "insurance" is an oxymoron, a word game.

    Wouldn't be great if they offered auto insurance for "pre-existing accident damage" that would repair accident damage that occurred before you bought the policy? If they did, why would anyone buy insurance until they had an accident?

    Personally, unless it's free it would seem a person is economically incompetent to buy insurance until you need it - if by law you have to be sold the insurance at the same rate if you ever do need it. Since the being-an-American-annual-tax (penalty) for not having insurance is significantly lower than the insurance premium and given the huge premiums, deductible and co-pay requirements, why buy "insurance" until you need it?

    That makes no sense to me. What would make sense is NOT buying the insurance and saving the premiums so that if you DO suffer a major medical issue you then have the money to not only buy the policy, but also have the money for the deductible and co-pay so you then actually CAN get treatment from the insurance. For millions of people, that would be the only way they would have the deductible and co-pay to be able to use the insurance anyway.

    Can ANYONE give a rational reason to buy the costly insurance before you need it since you can't be turned down if you ever do?
    Joko, we don't know if it can happen that way. Know why? We don't know enough about it.

    I think open enrollment happens once a year. I also think (this is my logic which could be wrong, of course) that if one has NO Obamacare-compliant insurance and elects not to sign up, that when they do? I'm betting there's a pre-existing exclusion for six months. If that's not true, we're screwed. You're right.

    As far as pre-existing conditions go -- the first part of your post -- group policies most often have no exclusion for pre-existing conditions. It's the individual policies that have them.

  5. #45
    Sage


    MaggieD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Chicago Area
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    43,242
    Blog Entries
    43

    Re: Do any of these required insuance clauses required by ObamaCare apply to you?

    Quote Originally Posted by joko104 View Post
    I pay more in property taxes - and 90% of our property is tax exempt.

    Your example does not work. School taxes do not make me pay for irresponsible behavior nor reward it. I also see school taxes as benefiting my family and myself because of the social and economic benefits of children being educated (and kept off the street).

    People keep debating ObamaCare as if it is what the president says - when it's a lie. Poor and working people do NOT have $5000 deductible. Do not have $12,700 per year deductible. Do NOT have 20, 30, 40% copay.

    Just for that, all the words are just a massive lie.

    Here is what ObamaCare REALLY did:

    1. Previously, large employers HAD to provide medical insurance for their employees. Now they do not. ObamaCare is MASSIVE corporate welfare via the law eliminating required employer paid employee medical coverage. This was a MASSIVE change that is essentially never mentioned nor ever justified by Obama and company.

    2. Most indigent healthcare WAS paid for thru property taxes (ie the "hospital district"). The wealthier in real property a person or company was, the most they paid in taxes towards indigent healthcare - in effect a "progressive" health tax. ObamaCare is to shift indigent healthcare costs from a progressive tax primarily on the upper income people to instead a flat tax against working people - in the form insurance premiums radically raised with raised deductibles to cover indigent healthcare.

    3. ObamaCare took healthcare decisions away from you and gave it to the government - by dictating what will and won't be paid for - and how much for each. Personally, we often opt for alternative methods in health issues, meaning insurance won't cover it anyway even if done by a doctor. In this, ObamaCare also takes virtual total control over medical decisions from doctors and gives it to the government. People not in the medical profession in DC, not you nor your doctor, now decide how to treat your medical conditions by deciding what they will and won't pay for - while you are paying for medical treatment you wouldn't even accept via the premiums.

    4. ObamaCare - via huge deductibles and copay - gives justification to deny major medical care to the poor and lower middle class - while at the same time telling the huge lie that they are getting "free" insurance. Since they don't have the deductible and copay, in fact they have no usable insurance whatsoever.

    5. ObamaCare attempts to defacto nationalize the medical profession and healthcare facilities by establishing a national price structure for medical services. As more and more medical professionals and facilities are opting not to play, the result is increasing threats to require such persons to do and take whatever the government demands of them or be banned from their profession.

    Virtually all the ways the ACA is being discussed and debated has little to do with the ACA and often even is exactly the opposite from reality. People are furiously debating both sides of something that doesn't exist as it is being debated.
    Joko, I'm telling you that we don't know enough about Obamacare to make some of the statements you've made here. First of all, are you sure that those who get the health insurance subsidies pay the deductible? Or is that partly or wholly subsidized as well? Most all of us are going into this debacle blind.

    The 30% co-pay you read about is, as I understand it, paid only until one reaches their deductible amount. If you can find anything contrary to that, I'd like to see it. Something else that isn't clear about Obamacare, in my opinion.

    Large employers have NEVER been forced to provide healthcare insurance. Ever.

    Your property taxes include "hospital district." Illinois' don't. And you say your school taxes don't reward irresponsible behavior? What about the 50% of inner-city kids who don't graduate? Who can barely read? Who can't put an intelligent sentence down on paper?

    Your insurance company has almost always decided what will be paid for by your insurance. I fail to see anything that changes that in Obamacare. If you have something, I'd like to see it. If I want my doctor to do a CT scan? He'll find a way for Obamacare to pay for it if it's at all indicated. Doctors aren't going to get into malpractice waters. They'll do what they've always done -- what their patients want. Unless people stupidly sign up for HMO's.

    I think many of the fears we've been led to believe aren't true. I haven't been able to get a decent description on ONE healthplan since October 1st.

  6. #46
    Sage
    sangha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Lower Hudson Valley, NY
    Last Seen
    09-17-17 @ 05:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    59,990

    Re: Do any of these required insuance clauses required by ObamaCare apply to you?

    Quote Originally Posted by MaggieD View Post
    Joko, I'm telling you that we don't know enough about Obamacare to make some of the statements you've made here. First of all, are you sure that those who get the health insurance subsidies pay the deductible? Or is that partly or wholly subsidized as well? Most all of us are going into this debacle blind.

    The 30% co-pay you read about is, as I understand it, paid only until one reaches their deductible amount. If you can find anything contrary to that, I'd like to see it. Something else that isn't clear about Obamacare, in my opinion.

    Large employers have NEVER been forced to provide healthcare insurance. Ever.

    Your property taxes include "hospital district." Illinois' don't. And you say your school taxes don't reward irresponsible behavior? What about the 50% of inner-city kids who don't graduate? Who can barely read? Who can't put an intelligent sentence down on paper?

    Your insurance company has almost always decided what will be paid for by your insurance. I fail to see anything that changes that in Obamacare. If you have something, I'd like to see it. If I want my doctor to do a CT scan? He'll find a way for Obamacare to pay for it if it's at all indicated. Doctors aren't going to get into malpractice waters. They'll do what they've always done -- what their patients want. Unless people stupidly sign up for HMO's.

    I think many of the fears we've been led to believe aren't true. I haven't been able to get a decent description on ONE healthplan since October 1st.
    I normally like posts that knock down hyperbole with facts, but I have a policy of not liking posts that respond to bat-crap crazy posts.

    It only encourages people to respond to bat-crap crazy
    Quote Originally Posted by matchlight View Post
    Justice Thomas' opinions consistently contain precise, detailed constitutional analyses.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaeger19 View Post
    the vast majority of folks that need healthcare are on Medicare.. both rich and poor..

  7. #47
    Sage


    MaggieD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Chicago Area
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    43,242
    Blog Entries
    43

    Re: Do any of these required insuance clauses required by ObamaCare apply to you?

    Quote Originally Posted by sangha View Post
    I normally like posts that knock down hyperbole with facts, but I have a policy of not liking posts that respond to bat-crap crazy posts.

    It only encourages people to respond to bat-crap crazy
    So.

    Which one of us posted bat-crap crazy?


  8. #48
    Sage
    sangha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Lower Hudson Valley, NY
    Last Seen
    09-17-17 @ 05:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    59,990

    Re: Do any of these required insuance clauses required by ObamaCare apply to you?

    Quote Originally Posted by MaggieD View Post
    So.

    Which one of us posted bat-crap crazy?

    It wasn't you
    Quote Originally Posted by matchlight View Post
    Justice Thomas' opinions consistently contain precise, detailed constitutional analyses.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaeger19 View Post
    the vast majority of folks that need healthcare are on Medicare.. both rich and poor..

  9. #49
    Sage



    Join Date
    May 2013
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:30 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    12,203

    Re: Do any of these required insuance clauses required by ObamaCare apply to you?

    Quote Originally Posted by CRUE CAB View Post
    Means there is always a way to get around things. Always.
    Well, dying is a way around I for thousands. I guess you are right.

  10. #50
    Guru

    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Last Seen
    09-14-16 @ 12:48 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    4,415

    Re: Do any of these required insuance clauses required by ObamaCare apply to you?

    hey if we are just going to exclude people, why do I pay for rich kids education?

    Then lts privatize the firemen too, and police.

    Wife gets murdered, "that will be $300k up front to start an investigation".................Then we can sell "crime insurance" Oh imagine the PROFITS!!!! (evil greedy grin)
    Free Trade Doesn't Work: What Should Replace It and Why,
    Ian Fletcher

    https://www.numbersusa.org/

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •