View Poll Results: Do You Have A Right To Buy Crap?

Voters
51. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    46 90.20%
  • No

    5 9.80%
Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 114

Thread: Do You Have A Right To Buy Crap?

  1. #11
    Sit Nomine Digna
    Carjosse's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Montreal, QC, Canada
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:31 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    11,190

    Re: Do You Have A Right To Buy Crap?

    Quote Originally Posted by GottaGo View Post
    Mighty big paintbrush there.

    Many people's insurance is absolutely fine, meets their needs and fits their budget. What the 'meets the ACA criteria' means is that the government thinks all people are too stupid to know what they need.

    Of course there are going to be shyster insurance policies, but caveat emptor is the personal responsibility of people knowing what their buying. You can't protect all people from their own ignorance, and the rest of us shouldn't have to pay for that.
    Well that si what happens we end up paying for the stupid mistakes of others.

  2. #12
    Sit Nomine Digna
    Carjosse's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Montreal, QC, Canada
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:31 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    11,190

    Re: Do You Have A Right To Buy Crap?

    Quote Originally Posted by ocean515 View Post
    It's rather remarkable to view people who are excited about the government deciding how healthy they will be allowed to be, and how much money they will be required to spend to maintain it.

    Just hope they don't find you obsolete at some point and cancel you for a better version available represented by some other citizen.
    It has n0othign to do with this is about government preventing people form making stupid decisions that hurt the rest of us.

  3. #13
    Sit Nomine Digna
    Carjosse's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Montreal, QC, Canada
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:31 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    11,190

    Re: Do You Have A Right To Buy Crap?

    Quote Originally Posted by Perotista View Post
    I do not think government has the right to tell you outside of legality how one spends his money.
    That is the point made it illegal to prevent people from making decisions in the future. It is why we have regulation.

  4. #14
    Phonetic Mnemonic ©
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:05 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,413

    Re: Do You Have A Right To Buy Crap?

    Quote Originally Posted by Carjosse View Post
    I was reading this article on CBC form their Washington correspondent and I found it rather interesting. It talks about Obamacare and Obama saying if you like your policy you can keep it. People are complaining that their old policies are being cancelled by Obamacare because they are substandard, while the reason they are substandard is that they are crap and provide no real protection from healthcare costs.

    THis quote illustatres the point very nicely:




    All Obamacare does is prevent people from being screwed by insurance companies because then everyone else has to pick up the tab. He goes on to say how is it different than requiring car insurance or banks having to have insurance to protect themselves form bad loans. After all the banks chose to finance sub-prime mortgages it is their fault, but we ended up having to pay for it the end same happens with healthcare.
    No. What is crap is your premise. They are only "substandard" because the government conveniently uses arbitrary euphemisms so that suckers such as yourself can be more easily led.

    Here is a prime example of a person who is getting royally screwed by this so-called "better" system: "I had great cancer doctors and health insurance. My plan was cancelled."
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

  5. #15
    Electrician
    Bob Blaylock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    North 38°28′ West 121°26′
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:27 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    13,745

    Re: Do You Have A Right To Buy Crap?

    The very premise of this thread is crap.

    Perhaps we need to get government involved, to establish some minimum standards for a forum discussion to meet, and to make it illegal to start a discussion based on a crap premise.

    Or perhaps we could allow consumers to judge for themselves what products and services do or do not meet their needs, and allow them to buy those products and services regardless of someone else's opinion that the specific products or services they are choosing are “crap”.
    The five great lies of the Left Wrong:
    We can be Godless and free. • “Social justice” through forced redistribution of wealth. • Silencing religious opinions counts as “diversity”. • Freedom without moral and personal responsibility. • Civilization can survive the intentional undermining of the family.

  6. #16
    Sage
    sangha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Lower Hudson Valley, NY
    Last Seen
    09-17-17 @ 05:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    59,990

    Re: Do You Have A Right To Buy Crap?

    Quote Originally Posted by Perotista View Post
    I think people have a right to buy what ever they want to buy. That goes for almost everything to include insurance. If one wants to buy a Yugo, they should have every right, if a Cadillac same thing. Same goes if I want to buy some cheap watch made in China or Timbuktu or a fancy one made in Switzerland. As long as it is legal, a person should be able to buy what he wants. I do not think government has the right to tell you outside of legality how one spends his money.
    Do you have the right to buy a coronary bypass from an unlicensed provider, because I could always use some extra cash?

    We're not talking about Yugos or a cheap watch. We're talking about health care, which has a long history of regulation.
    Quote Originally Posted by matchlight View Post
    Justice Thomas' opinions consistently contain precise, detailed constitutional analyses.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaeger19 View Post
    the vast majority of folks that need healthcare are on Medicare.. both rich and poor..

  7. #17
    Bring us a shrubbery!
    tessaesque's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Plano, Texas
    Last Seen
    11-09-17 @ 06:18 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    15,910

    Re: Do You Have A Right To Buy Crap?

    There's really nothing wrong w/the policy my company offers, but because the deductible for families is over the limits set in ACA and because it doesn't cover birth control pills w/no deductible, it'll have to be revised next year, which likely means our premiums will increase as well. I certainly wouldn't call our policy "crap"...it covers a hell of a lot more than other policies, and the copays are set in such a way that unless you have a seriously ill dependent, you're really rather unlikely to ever hit the deductible in any given year. And $7,500 in deductibles followed by 100% coverage on in-network care isn't really all that bad, either.
    Last edited by tessaesque; 11-04-13 at 11:33 PM.
    "Hmmm...Can't decide if I want to watch "Four Houses" or give myself an Icy Hot pee hole enema..." - Blake Shelton


  8. #18
    Sage
    Perotista's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:54 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    17,934
    Blog Entries
    25

    Re: Do You Have A Right To Buy Crap?

    Quote Originally Posted by sangha View Post
    Do you have the right to buy a coronary bypass from an unlicensed provider, because I could always use some extra cash?

    We're not talking about Yugos or a cheap watch. We're talking about health care, which has a long history of regulation.
    I understand that. your coronary bypass might cost you only a quarter of what one does here if you go to Thailand. I know of several people who have had a bunch of different surgury done over there because of the cheapness of it. Most of their doctors were trained and educated in the U.S., Canada, Europe or Japan. A lot of them have come to the U.S. to practice.

    But I think I know what I want in an insurance policy. I think I have enough brains to decide that myself and I am sure you do too. Insurance is an operation, it may cover one or not, but it isn't an operation. The question is, do I want to fly with the hogs and chickens or fly up front in the playboy section with Uncle Hugh or somewhere in-between. That should be my choice.

    But knowing me, I would probably bitch if something was regulated and bitch just as bad if it weren't. That all comes with being a crusty old military man.
    This Reform Party member thinks it is high past time that we start electing Americans to congress and the presidency who put America first and their political party further down the line. But for way too long we have been electing Republicans and Democrats who happen to be Americans instead of Americans who happen to be Republicans and Democrats.

  9. #19
    Sage
    sangha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Lower Hudson Valley, NY
    Last Seen
    09-17-17 @ 05:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    59,990

    Re: Do You Have A Right To Buy Crap?

    Quote Originally Posted by Perotista View Post
    I understand that. your coronary bypass might cost you only a quarter of what one does here if you go to Thailand. I know of several people who have had a bunch of different surgury done over there because of the cheapness of it. Most of their doctors were trained and educated in the U.S., Canada, Europe or Japan. A lot of them have come to the U.S. to practice.

    But I think I know what I want in an insurance policy. I think I have enough brains to decide that myself and I am sure you do too. Insurance is an operation, it may cover one or not, but it isn't an operation. The question is, do I want to fly with the hogs and chickens or fly up front in the playboy section with Uncle Hugh or somewhere in-between. That should be my choice.

    But knowing me, I would probably bitch if something was regulated and bitch just as bad if it weren't. That all comes with being a crusty old military man.
    That is probably true of both you and I, but statistics show that half the population has a below average IQ. And experience shows that the american people, as a whole, are not equipped to make the right decision, as demonstrated by how their preference for crappy insurance has foisted their health care expenses on those of us smart enough to purchase good insurance. As a result of their stupidity, health care costs have escalated to the point where they threaten our economy and our well-being.
    Quote Originally Posted by matchlight View Post
    Justice Thomas' opinions consistently contain precise, detailed constitutional analyses.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaeger19 View Post
    the vast majority of folks that need healthcare are on Medicare.. both rich and poor..

  10. #20
    Professor
    SBu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Washington State
    Last Seen
    01-18-16 @ 03:52 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    1,523

    Re: Do You Have A Right To Buy Crap?

    Quote Originally Posted by Carjosse View Post
    I was reading this article on CBC form their Washington correspondent and I found it rather interesting. It talks about Obamacare and Obama saying if you like your policy you can keep it. People are complaining that their old policies are being cancelled by Obamacare because they are substandard, while the reason they are substandard is that they are crap and provide no real protection from healthcare costs.

    THis quote illustatres the point very nicely:




    All Obamacare does is prevent people from being screwed by insurance companies because then everyone else has to pick up the tab. He goes on to say how is it different than requiring car insurance or banks having to have insurance to protect themselves form bad loans. After all the banks chose to finance sub-prime mortgages it is their fault, but we ended up having to pay for it the end same happens with healthcare.
    I genuinely think that liberals are motivated by good intentions, but they miss the point entirely. The problem with health care wasn't insurance, it was the cost of health care (what is charged for health care). If you go to the auto shop to get something fixed on your car, the prices are the same and reasonable whether you use insurance to pay for it or not. Not true in the health care industry, and that is the real problem. Obama would have had better success nationalizing hospitals than overhauling the insurance industry.

    Chargemaster - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    http://www.uta.edu/faculty/story/231...ndAndGreed.pdf

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •