View Poll Results: Did Good Design Help Obama's Elections?

Voters
23. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    8 34.78%
  • No

    10 43.48%
  • Maybe

    5 21.74%
  • Other

    0 0%
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
Results 41 to 45 of 45

Thread: Did Good Design Help Obama's Elections?

  1. #41
    Sage
    JumpinJack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Dallas, TX
    Last Seen
    05-12-17 @ 10:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    6,628

    Re: Did Good Design Help Obama's Elections?

    Quote Originally Posted by specklebang View Post
    So, lets delve further. Let me first reiterate that I am not an Obama fan.

    Which of these do you think re-elected Obama:

    1) Obamacare (with the assumption that it wouldn't affect the plans or the doctors) which obviously had to cost more to include the pre-existing conditions.

    2) The pocketbook. Where people who got government checks for any reason, welfare, SNAP, SS or Medicare felt safer that Obama would continue their programs.

    3) The "equality" issue. If you're foreign born, gay, black or any other minority group you felt safer

    4) The other guy looks worse theory. Romney seemed very detatched ($350M will do that to a guy) and his "spending cuts" consisted of NPR and giving himself a huge tax cut.

    I'm personally skeptical that people voted their HC plan (#1) as being significant (at the time). I think it was a blend of #3 and #4. But I'm open to discussing this if we can actually discuss it and not have another Obama-bashing session.

    I couldn't bring myself to vote for either candidate so I voted 3rd party.

    That was the most revolting election yet. I've always geard lies and exaggerations but never as much or as venomous as the 2012 election.
    The Democratic Party is a big tent party, so it naturally has more minorities than the Republican Party. That party also has more young people than the Repubican Party. ALL people vote for their own self interests, including old, fat white Republican men, whether they're mega wealthy or gun totin' lurking in the forests wackos.

    I think that people LIKED his policies, the way he handled himself during his first term (having to deal with the greatest economic disaster since the Great Depression), and liked him personally, as well as his character.

    ALSO, Romney just wasn't a good candidate. He had so many issues. Yet, he was doing well for a while, since Republicans always vote their party, no matter who he is. Democrats are more selective, I think, and don't ALWAYS show up to vote for their party candidate.

    I thought the 2012 election was fascinating and exciting. Including the primaries. The Republican lineup was strange and entertaining (remember "9-9-9"? and Perry not remembering his key position of eliminating three agencies that he couldn't remember?) The first Obama-Romney debate where Obama just stood there? The 47% comments by Romney? The etch-a-sketch comment by his campaign manager?

    As a political junkie, I thoroughly enjoyed the 2012 election. Obama won fair and square, for all the normal reasons that Presidents win re-election. Plus, most Presidents win re-election, anyway. His people also know how to run a sharp, tight campaign, and know how to excite his supporters. One example was that in one state (Iowa? I forget) Romney had a handful of supporters walking door to door. While Obama's campaign had THOUSANDS....and they didn't just walk door to door. This is an electronic age, now. Social media was critical.

    Obama had something to say. Romney had something to say. More people liked what Obama had to say.

  2. #42
    Professor
    SBu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Washington State
    Last Seen
    01-18-16 @ 03:52 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    1,523

    Re: Did Good Design Help Obama's Elections?

    Quote Originally Posted by aberrant85 View Post
    Attachment 67156197

    Attachment 67156196

    Attachment 67156200

    Attachment 67156198

    Based solely on good graphic design, I think Obama was able to market himself better than his competitors in 2008 and 2012, and may have helped his elections. Graphic designers understand that good design can go a long way.

    Do you think design was relevant in electing Barack Obama twice?
    In 2008, I think that the excitement about electing the first black president and re-branding America around the world was overwhelming and caught a lot of us up in it. Also, McCain choosing Palin was the final nail in the coffin.

    In 2012, the perfume had worn off for most people concerned about issues and the economy and all was left was superficiality...so yes, maybe in that election.

  3. #43
    Guru
    Porchev's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    GA
    Last Seen
    01-08-17 @ 12:49 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    3,092

    Re: Did Good Design Help Obama's Elections?

    Quote Originally Posted by aberrant85 View Post
    Attachment 67156197

    Attachment 67156196

    Attachment 67156200

    Attachment 67156198

    Based solely on good graphic design, I think Obama was able to market himself better than his competitors in 2008 and 2012, and may have helped his elections. Graphic designers understand that good design can go a long way.

    Do you think design was relevant in electing Barack Obama twice?
    I voted for Romney [and McCain], but I never did like the similarity Romney's design had to Aquafresh toothpaste.


  4. #44
    Discount Philosopher
    specklebang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Las Vegas
    Last Seen
    06-05-14 @ 08:26 PM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    11,524

    Re: Did Good Design Help Obama's Elections?

    Quote Originally Posted by JumpinJack View Post
    The Democratic Party is a big tent party, so it naturally has more minorities than the Republican Party. That party also has more young people than the Repubican Party. ALL people vote for their own self interests, including old, fat white Republican men, whether they're mega wealthy or gun totin' lurking in the forests wackos.

    I think that people LIKED his policies, the way he handled himself during his first term (having to deal with the greatest economic disaster since the Great Depression), and liked him personally, as well as his character.

    ALSO, Romney just wasn't a good candidate. He had so many issues. Yet, he was doing well for a while, since Republicans always vote their party, no matter who he is. Democrats are more selective, I think, and don't ALWAYS show up to vote for their party candidate.

    I thought the 2012 election was fascinating and exciting. Including the primaries. The Republican lineup was strange and entertaining (remember "9-9-9"? and Perry not remembering his key position of eliminating three agencies that he couldn't remember?) The first Obama-Romney debate where Obama just stood there? The 47% comments by Romney? The etch-a-sketch comment by his campaign manager?

    As a political junkie, I thoroughly enjoyed the 2012 election. Obama won fair and square, for all the normal reasons that Presidents win re-election. Plus, most Presidents win re-election, anyway. His people also know how to run a sharp, tight campaign, and know how to excite his supporters. One example was that in one state (Iowa? I forget) Romney had a handful of supporters walking door to door. While Obama's campaign had THOUSANDS....and they didn't just walk door to door. This is an electronic age, now. Social media was critical.

    Obama had something to say. Romney had something to say. More people liked what Obama had to say.
    Excellent analysis. Obama didn't look all that great but the GOP candidates destroyed each other with millions upon millions of dollars in negative ads calling each other names. By the time they chose a candidate, none of them looked good and Obama automatically got the D nomination so he didn't have his own party attacking him non-stop.

    Add to that Romney's obliviousness (if you are going to build an elevator for your car don't do it while running for office) and (don't propose a tax cut that will save you millions while trying to get the vote of people who actually have to make a car payment). So, yes, Obama won handily despite the already apparent (to me anyway) inability to be a good manager.

    But since he was elected (without my vote), I wish him the best and I find the level of attacks on him to be disconcerting. The Kenya routine alone cost millions of votes. We're not ALL "low information voters" and I want him to do a good job since I'm stuck with him for 3 more years.

  5. #45
    Advisor aberrant85's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    SF Bay Area
    Last Seen
    10-04-15 @ 04:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    594

    Re: Did Good Design Help Obama's Elections?

    Quote Originally Posted by Porchev View Post
    I voted for Romney [and McCain], but I never did like the similarity Romney's design had to Aquafresh toothpaste.
    Did Good Design Help Obama's Elections?-repubs-1-articlelarge-jpg

    Here's a recent example of bad design. Ever hear of tangents? I know the pic is kinda blurry, but the way the dot in the first "i" brushes up against the bottom of Virginia is very distracting and sloppy. It was a close race too, I wonder if it put McAuliffe over the edge
    "Obamacare delenda est"

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •