View Poll Results: Did Good Design Help Obama's Elections?

Voters
23. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    8 34.78%
  • No

    10 43.48%
  • Maybe

    5 21.74%
  • Other

    0 0%
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 45

Thread: Did Good Design Help Obama's Elections?

  1. #31
    Discount Philosopher
    specklebang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Las Vegas
    Last Seen
    06-05-14 @ 08:26 PM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    11,524

    Re: Did Good Design Help Obama's Elections?

    Quote Originally Posted by WCH View Post
    I can't argue that point. However, "You can keep your plan and your doctor" probably got Obama reelected.
    So, lets delve further. Let me first reiterate that I am not an Obama fan.

    Which of these do you think re-elected Obama:

    1) Obamacare (with the assumption that it wouldn't affect the plans or the doctors) which obviously had to cost more to include the pre-existing conditions.

    2) The pocketbook. Where people who got government checks for any reason, welfare, SNAP, SS or Medicare felt safer that Obama would continue their programs.

    3) The "equality" issue. If you're foreign born, gay, black or any other minority group you felt safer

    4) The other guy looks worse theory. Romney seemed very detatched ($350M will do that to a guy) and his "spending cuts" consisted of NPR and giving himself a huge tax cut.

    I'm personally skeptical that people voted their HC plan (#1) as being significant (at the time). I think it was a blend of #3 and #4. But I'm open to discussing this if we can actually discuss it and not have another Obama-bashing session.

    I couldn't bring myself to vote for either candidate so I voted 3rd party.

    That was the most revolting election yet. I've always geard lies and exaggerations but never as much or as venomous as the 2012 election.

  2. #32
    Guru
    Smeagol's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Last Seen
    02-19-17 @ 11:35 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,147

    Re: Did Good Design Help Obama's Elections?

    Quote Originally Posted by aberrant85 View Post
    Attachment 67156197

    Attachment 67156196

    Attachment 67156200

    Attachment 67156198

    Based solely on good graphic design, I think Obama was able to market himself better than his competitors in 2008 and 2012, and may have helped his elections. Graphic designers understand that good design can go a long way.

    Do you think design was relevant in electing Barack Obama twice?
    Every piece of the equation is important but more than anything else in my opinion Obama won especially in 2012 because he did a better job at convincing most voters that he was in their corner, on their side, standing up for them with believability. Romney did a better job at appealing to people who already were never going to vote for Obama anyway regardless of the issues. Those people also happen to be fewer in number, meanwhile convincing the majority that he was in the corner of the wealthy, the same folks who move jobs out of America to the third word and cut jobs and compensation in order in increase the profits of shareholders but was more than willing to make some pandering speeches that contradicted the core of the rest of his campaign for anyone willing to listen.
    Having opinions all over the map is a good sign of a person capable of autonomous thinking. Felix -2011

  3. #33
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:50 AM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,268
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Did Good Design Help Obama's Elections?

    Quote Originally Posted by Cephus View Post
    If they're done based on the race of the candidate, of course they are.
    I don't know which is funnier, that you don't know the difference between racist and racial, or that you are so ignorant of the fact that get out the vote campaigns are part of every presidential campaign, done by both sides to get those likely to vote for them to the polls.

    That you are crying racist at nothing just makes it complete.
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  4. #34
    Guru
    Morality Games's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Iowa
    Last Seen
    05-24-16 @ 10:00 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    3,733

    Re: Did Good Design Help Obama's Elections?

    . . . unless the Republicans can create some kind of economic golden age that is accessible by all Americans, regardless of race, age, region, or gender, their party is finished. Since they can't do that, their party is finished.
    If you notice something good in yourself, give credit to God, not to yourself, but be certain the evil you commit is always your own and yours to acknowledge.

    St. Benedict

  5. #35
    Sage
    WCH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    The Lone Star State.
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:58 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    22,135

    Re: Did Good Design Help Obama's Elections?

    Quote Originally Posted by specklebang View Post
    So, lets delve further. Let me first reiterate that I am not an Obama fan.

    Which of these do you think re-elected Obama:

    1) Obamacare (with the assumption that it wouldn't affect the plans or the doctors) which obviously had to cost more to include the pre-existing conditions.

    2) The pocketbook. Where people who got government checks for any reason, welfare, SNAP, SS or Medicare felt safer that Obama would continue their programs.

    3) The "equality" issue. If you're foreign born, gay, black or any other minority group you felt safer

    4) The other guy looks worse theory. Romney seemed very detatched ($350M will do that to a guy) and his "spending cuts" consisted of NPR and giving himself a huge tax cut.

    I'm personally skeptical that people voted their HC plan (#1) as being significant (at the time). I think it was a blend of #3 and #4. But I'm open to discussing this if we can actually discuss it and not have another Obama-bashing session.

    I couldn't bring myself to vote for either candidate so I voted 3rd party.

    That was the most revolting election yet. I've always heard lies and exaggerations but never as much or as venomous as the 2012 election.
    Most likely OC and people wanting [or needing] to get and keep the FedGov bennies.

    Also, lots of people stayed home compared to 2008.

  6. #36
    Discount Philosopher
    specklebang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Las Vegas
    Last Seen
    06-05-14 @ 08:26 PM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    11,524

    Re: Did Good Design Help Obama's Elections?

    Quote Originally Posted by WCH View Post
    Most likely OC and people wanting [or needing] to get and keep the FedGov bennies.

    Also, lots of people stayed home compared to 2008.
    So, are you saying that medical insurance was so strongly desired (albeit not well understood) that an unpopular President was re-elected because people wanted OC?

    I'm not saying you're wrong but I would have guessed it was a combination of 2,3 and 4 more so. For me personally, it was #4. If I had been in Romney's shoes, I would have donated $200M to some well loved charity right before I threw my hat in the ring. I'm sure I could have gotten by on $150M and it would have made him seem more like he gave a ****. Also, offering himself a tax cut didn't seem very empathetic.

    Well, I hope we have better choices in the future. If OC actually works out (I'm skeptical because it seems to be the usual punishment of the middle class - the poor get subsidies and the rich don't care what it costs) then the Democrats might just keep the WH. But if the GOP goes hard core Conservative, they won't have a shot (IMHO).

    A always, I disclose that OC doesn't affect me (I'm 70) and though Medicare has gotten cuts that will impair quick access, I'm able to go to cash doctors if I need to. But I really do give a care about those working folks who make too much for subsidy and not enough to be free of economic burden.

    Lets face it. Obama is a great salesman and he sold himself very well. If he focused on management the way he does on speechifying, he might have been a better President.

  7. #37
    Guru
    Smeagol's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Last Seen
    02-19-17 @ 11:35 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,147

    Re: Did Good Design Help Obama's Elections?

    Quote Originally Posted by Cephus View Post
    The only thing that got him elected in 2008 was the fact that he was black. Graphic design had nothing whatsoever to do with it.
    Two other black candidates ran for POTUS in 2008, a former Member of Congress and a former UN Ambassador. If being black was the ONLY reason Obama won in 2008, why did he win and not them?

    PS: There was also one Hispanic candidate, if it was just a minority thing and Hispanics surpass blacks in population. He lost too.
    PPS: In 2004 two blacks ran for POUTS, one a United States Senator. Both lost.
    PPPS: In 2012 yet another black ran for POTUS to unseat Presiden Obama. While leading in the GOP primary in the polls he was labeled "flavor of the week" by a top GOP leader. Lost too.
    Last edited by Smeagol; 11-05-13 at 05:57 PM.
    Having opinions all over the map is a good sign of a person capable of autonomous thinking. Felix -2011

  8. #38
    Sage
    Cephus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    CA
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    29,749

    Re: Did Good Design Help Obama's Elections?

    Quote Originally Posted by Smeagol View Post
    Two other black candidates ran for POTUS in 2008, a former Member of Congress and a former UN Ambassador. If being black was the ONLY reason Obama won in 2008, why did he win and not them?
    Because nobody outside of the Democrats and Republicans has any real chance in hell of getting elected in this country?
    There is nothing demonstrably true that religion can provide the world that cannot be achieved more rationally through entirely secular means.

    Blog me! YouTube me! VidMe me!

  9. #39
    Guru
    Smeagol's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Last Seen
    02-19-17 @ 11:35 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,147

    Re: Did Good Design Help Obama's Elections?

    Quote Originally Posted by Cephus View Post
    Because nobody outside of the Democrats and Republicans has any real chance in hell of getting elected in this country?
    So, being black wasn't the ONLY reason Obama got elected, it was because:

    1. He's black
    2. He's a member of one of the two major political parties?

    Okay, that's progress. Slight problem however. In the 2008 campaign, another black guy, career diplomat Alan Keyes ran as Republican party candidate. However because he did so poorly, he eventually switched to a third party but initially he ran as a major party primary candidate. Black guy - major party candidate - less than 3% of the vote in the party's primary.

    I'm sure you're also aware there have been quite a few other black candidates who WERE in fact also members of the Democrat and Republican parties who for president in other election cycles and being black PLUS an major party member didn't get them elected.

    -1888 Frederick Douglass- Republican
    -1968 Channing E. Phillips- Democrat
    -1972 Shirley Chisholm- Democrat
    -1972 Walter Fauntroy- Democrat
    -1976 Walter Fauntroy- Democrat
    -1976 Barbara Jordan- Democrat
    -1984 Jesse Jackson- Democrat
    -1986 Jesse Jackson- Democrat
    -1992 Douglas Wilder- Democrat
    -1996 Alan Keyes- Republican
    -1996 Isabell Masters- Republican
    -2000 Alan Keyes- Republican
    -2004 Carol Moseley Braun- Democrat
    -2004 Al Sharpton- Democrat
    -2008 Alan Keyes- Republican
    -2012 Herman Cain- Republican

    So, there have been twelve blacks who have run for President of the United States who were also major party candidates (some ran more than once so I only counted them once,) five of whom as recently as the 2004 election cycle, four with impressive public service credentials. Just looking at the ones since 2004:

    - Two United States Senators
    - A Fortune 500 CEO and member of the Federal Reserve
    - A Harvard Ph.D graduate and foreign service diplomat including having served as a US Ambassador and an Assistant Secretary of State.

    All black, all members of major political parties, only Barack Obama elected. Any idea why just Obama got elected when others were also black and major party members?
    Last edited by Smeagol; 11-06-13 at 10:57 AM.
    Having opinions all over the map is a good sign of a person capable of autonomous thinking. Felix -2011

  10. #40
    Sage
    JumpinJack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Dallas, TX
    Last Seen
    05-12-17 @ 10:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    6,628

    Re: Did Good Design Help Obama's Elections?

    Quote Originally Posted by aberrant85 View Post
    Attachment 67156197

    Attachment 67156196

    Attachment 67156200

    Attachment 67156198

    Based solely on good graphic design, I think Obama was able to market himself better than his competitors in 2008 and 2012, and may have helped his elections. Graphic designers understand that good design can go a long way.

    Do you think design was relevant in electing Barack Obama twice?
    I don't think the logo itself was the reason for his getting elected, but it helped, I suppose. But MARKETING him, Obama, helped a lot, I'm sure. That's probably true for ALL candidates who win elections.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •