View Poll Results: If you were guaranteed a $25,000 income would you quit your job and stay unemployed?

Voters
124. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    17 13.71%
  • No

    90 72.58%
  • I don't have a job

    13 10.48%
  • I don't know

    4 3.23%
Page 13 of 30 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast
Results 121 to 130 of 296

Thread: Would you quit your job?

  1. #121
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    07-16-14 @ 01:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    47,571

    Re: Would you quit your job?

    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainCourtesy View Post
    Which doesn't fit the premise of the OP. Why would I give up a job to make less money and live less comfortably? I wouldn't. The OP offers a CHOICE. It's an easy choice: less money and less comfortably or more money and more comfortably. I'd like to know the motivations of anyone who would choose the former.
    Lazy would be my guess.

  2. #122
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    07-16-14 @ 01:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    47,571

    Re: Would you quit your job?

    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Tammerlain View Post
    In Canada I was able to live on 28 000-32000 as a single adult. It was shared accommodation, and during that time 4 years or so I was able to save $12 000 or so, enough to put a down payment on a rental property. Two years after that period of time with an income in the mid 30s, I was able to save another $12 000 for a down payment for a condo for me.

    The numbers of course do not reflect that I had medical and dental benefits from my job, that many may not get, I also did not have to pay huge amounts for health insurance ( being in Canada). Excluding health care, the part of Canada I live in the cost of living is far more expensive then most areas of the US (major costal cities excepted).

    It can be done but you are not living well, you are not going out to eat, or buying a new cell phone every year etc. You have to cut your monthly fixed costs down to the bare minimum. One phone, most likely a land line, I would suggest no cable, and no internet if the public library has it available, a cheap car that was paid for in cash, and basic car insurance, if public transport is an option use that instead
    Yes, but would you CHOOSE to live like that?

  3. #123
    Sometimes wrong

    ttwtt78640's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Uhland, Texas
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:27 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    34,580

    Re: Would you quit your job?

    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainCourtesy View Post
    Which doesn't fit the premise of the OP. Why would I give up a job to make less money and live less comfortably? I wouldn't. The OP offers a CHOICE. It's an easy choice: less money and less comfortably or more money and more comfortably. I'd like to know the motivations of anyone who would choose the former.
    Why do you assume that $25K/year (per person) is a pay cut? For two, cohabiting adults that is $50K/year or about the current median household income in the US without any requirement to work at all. If that base income is supplemented with "off the books" income (from say mowing lawns, cleaning homes or even recycling scrap metal) that can easily be an increase for the typical couple.
    “The reasonable man adapts himself to the world: the unreasonable one persists to adapt the world to himself.
    Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” ― George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman

  4. #124
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    07-16-14 @ 01:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    47,571

    Re: Would you quit your job?

    Quote Originally Posted by ttwtt78640 View Post
    Why do you assume that $25K/year (per person) is a pay cut? For two, cohabiting adults that is $50K/year or about the current median household income in the US without any requirement to work at all. If that base income is supplemented with "off the books" income (from say mowing lawns, cleaning homes or even recycling scrap metal) that can easily be an increase for the typical couple.
    The question is would you quit your job to live on $25,000. IOW, it's a trade off. Why some of you keep trying to add on to the amount of money, I don't know, but you aren't sticking to the OP.

    IF you had a job making MORE than $25,000, would you take the pay cut to not work is the premise of the question.

  5. #125
    Sometimes wrong

    ttwtt78640's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Uhland, Texas
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:27 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    34,580

    Re: Would you quit your job?

    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisL View Post
    The question is would you quit your job to live on $25,000. IOW, it's a trade off. Why some of you keep trying to add on to the amount of money, I don't know, but you aren't sticking to the OP.

    IF you had a job making MORE than $25,000, would you take the pay cut to not work is the premise of the question.
    As I have pointed out, that is not a pay cut for many in the US and also means that you are free to live where you wish without any concern about commuting to a job. I considered it to be sort of an early retirement option.
    “The reasonable man adapts himself to the world: the unreasonable one persists to adapt the world to himself.
    Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” ― George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman

  6. #126
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    07-16-14 @ 01:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    47,571

    Re: Would you quit your job?

    Quote Originally Posted by ttwtt78640 View Post
    As I have pointed out, that is not a pay cut for many in the US and also means that you are free to live where you wish without any concern about commuting to a job. I considered it to be sort of an early retirement option.
    Well perhaps that should have been specified in the OP. The way I read the question is if you work and earn more than $25,000, would you take a cut in your pay to not work but have guaranteed income of $25,000. I say no, I would keep working to make more money and to live a more comfortable lifestyle.

  7. #127
    Sometimes wrong

    ttwtt78640's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Uhland, Texas
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:27 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    34,580

    Re: Would you quit your job?

    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisL View Post
    Well perhaps that should have been specified in the OP. The way I read the question is if you work and earn more than $25,000, would you take a cut in your pay to not work but have guaranteed income of $25,000. I say no, I would keep working to make more money and to live a more comfortable lifestyle.
    We (myself and my girlfriend) live on less than $50K/year so my perspective is that the OP deal would be more income and no requirement to work but with lots of free time to make "on the side" additional income..
    “The reasonable man adapts himself to the world: the unreasonable one persists to adapt the world to himself.
    Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” ― George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman

  8. #128
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Theoretical Physics Lab
    Last Seen
    01-06-15 @ 11:06 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    25,120

    Re: Would you quit your job?

    If all I had was a high school education, I probably would.

  9. #129
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    07-16-14 @ 01:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    47,571

    Re: Would you quit your job?

    Quote Originally Posted by ttwtt78640 View Post
    We (myself and my girlfriend) live on less than $50K/year so my perspective is that the OP deal would be more income and no requirement to work but with lots of free time to make "on the side" additional income..
    Well I make about $40,000 a year by myself, so I would certainly not take the $25,000.

  10. #130
    Sage
    Lord Tammerlain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:48 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    10,432

    Re: Would you quit your job?

    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisL View Post
    Yes, but would you CHOOSE to live like that?
    Certainly not

    One reason of course is that my fixed living costs right now are higher then that, and I like my car, my house and the ability to go on vacations outside of the country every year
    Happy Hanukkah Cheerfull Kwanzaa
    Happy Christmas Merry New Year Festivus for the rest of us

Page 13 of 30 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •