View Poll Results: What will be the last state to have same sex marriage?

Voters
56. You may not vote on this poll
  • Alabama*^#

    11 19.64%
  • Georgia*^#

    0 0%
  • West Virginia*^#

    2 3.57%
  • Kentucky*#

    1 1.79%
  • Louisiana*#

    2 3.57%
  • Mississippi*#

    25 44.64%
  • Missouri*#

    1 1.79%
  • Tennessee*#

    0 0%
  • Texas*#

    7 12.50%
  • Other - Write in one of the other 9 states

    7 12.50%
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678
Results 71 to 79 of 79

Thread: What will be the last state to have same sex marriage? [W: 33]

  1. #71
    Sporadic insanity normal.


    The Mark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    19,751

    Re: What will be the last state to have same sex marriage? [W: 33]

    Quote Originally Posted by AGENT J View Post
    well i partially agree about politicians keeping it alive, they either want to, or they THINK arguing about social matters like this wins or loses elections, gets money etc

    I do think thats true, its seems that the only logical reason a country like america is still talking about it, how could we not be leading the way instead of being behind on social issues if its not because of what you said.


    as far as calling it trivial, I totally disagree, equal rights is never "trivial" and just making that "statement" is ignorant and selfish, you are better than that. Im sure it also offends many people.

    ALso if your reply is going to continue the fallacy its not an equal rights issue, just save it because that fallacy has been destroyed over and over.

    Now i will admit, it SHOULD be a trivial issue, because equal rights SHOULD have just been granted (maybe this is what you meant, i misunderstood and if so then you are right) . . . . . but since they haven't been granted that immediately makes it not a trivial issue.

    I could list so many reasons that makes it factually not trivial but like i said thats only because its being denied.
    In my mind, it is trivial when compared to issues like the economy, national security (and overreactions related), and most importantly, education.

    I suppose that doesn't really make it trivial, just....less important.


    Also, I agree that if you look at it from an equal rights perspective, it should be a trivial (heh) matter to come down on the side of granting equal rights.
    But, again, it's easier for politicians to keep this issue alive and ignore the heavier ones I mention above.
    Education.

    Sometimes I think we're alone. Sometimes I think we're not. In either case, the thought is staggering. ~ R. Buckminster Fuller

  2. #72
    Sporadic insanity normal.


    The Mark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    19,751

    Re: What will be the last state to have same sex marriage? [W: 33]

    Quote Originally Posted by chromium View Post
    It's kept alive only because real people want to marry. The issue is dead once it's legal for them to do so, and that is not a very complicated or difficult thing to accomplish. You could make an argument only for the attention it receives, but again, 200,000 people in Chicago alone just won the right to marry. That doesn't seem trivial, especially when state legislature has no responsibility to "national scale." They are not the US senate.

    If it's so important for you to blame anyone, look to the voters, since they created these laws that are being challenged now.
    I mean the politicians opposed are keeping it alive by not agreeing with the obviousness of "it ain't equal rights at the moment, it needs changed".

    And for that matter, I'm sure many of the supporting politicians are happy to have such a simple topic to run on - everyone can understand the basics, I think, and thus decide they like one candidate or the other.

    I really think it's almost entirely political, that we still are debating this.
    Education.

    Sometimes I think we're alone. Sometimes I think we're not. In either case, the thought is staggering. ~ R. Buckminster Fuller

  3. #73
    Sage
    chromium's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    A2
    Last Seen
    06-05-17 @ 10:53 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    16,968

    Re: What will be the last state to have same sex marriage? [W: 33]

    Quote Originally Posted by The Mark View Post
    I mean the politicians opposed are keeping it alive by not agreeing with the obviousness of "it ain't equal rights at the moment, it needs changed".

    And for that matter, I'm sure many of the supporting politicians are happy to have such a simple topic to run on - everyone can understand the basics, I think, and thus decide they like one candidate or the other.

    I really think it's almost entirely political, that we still are debating this.
    Why will it, after hawaii, all take place in courts then? Politicians don't want to touch it, because of the whole "let the people vote" nonsense. It's clear to me watching the hawaii debate, even the politicians who supported marriage equality were deathly afraid to call these voters and protestors out as the ignorant scum they are. There is no leadership on this from dems and never has been.

  4. #74
    Almost respectable

    Cardinal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    35,055

    Re: What will be the last state to have same sex marriage? [W: 33]

    Quote Originally Posted by chromium View Post
    Why will it, after hawaii, all take place in courts then? Politicians don't want to touch it, because of the whole "let the people vote" nonsense. It's clear to me watching the hawaii debate, even the politicians who supported marriage equality were deathly afraid to call these voters and protestors out as the ignorant scum they are. There is no leadership on this from dems and never has been.
    It's unfortunate that even the political party that appears to be the most tolerant of homosexuals is so often terrified of touching the issue, and has seen fit to leave it to the courts so they don't have to sully their own hands. But if it's got to go through the courts and that's how gay marriage is going to happen, there it is.

  5. #75
    Guru
    99percenter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Chicago
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:20 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    4,076

    Re: What will be the last state to have same sex marriage? [W: 33]

    Quote Originally Posted by Rocketman View Post
    I don't oppose civil unions since that is what the uproar is about.

    That doesn't matter. You opposed gay marriage and no true libertarian would do that.
    bears, bulls, white sox fan 4 life!!!

  6. #76
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Last Seen
    02-18-14 @ 08:18 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    5,660

    Re: What will be the last state to have same sex marriage? [W: 33]

    Quote Originally Posted by 99percenter View Post
    That doesn't matter. You opposed gay marriage and no true libertarian would do that.
    bull****, no true liberal would have a damn clue about a libertarian

  7. #77
    Sporadic insanity normal.


    The Mark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    19,751

    Re: What will be the last state to have same sex marriage? [W: 33]

    Quote Originally Posted by Rocketman View Post
    bull****, no true liberal would have a damn clue about a libertarian
    A true libertarian basically wants things to be just a hair shy of pure anarchy, and relies on human goodness and sense to prevent such.

    However, mamy people (perhaps most?) like the freedom and lack of overbearing rules which libertarianism espopses, and are thus partially libertarian.

    I myself am A Libertarian Conservative Liberal (in that order, more or less), or at least I agree in part with aspects of each of those idea systems.
    Education.

    Sometimes I think we're alone. Sometimes I think we're not. In either case, the thought is staggering. ~ R. Buckminster Fuller

  8. #78
    Guru
    WorldWatcher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Last Seen
    12-14-17 @ 07:50 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    3,041

    Re: What will be the last state to have same sex marriage? [W: 33]

    >

    Of Alabama, Georgia, West Virginia, Kentucky, Louisiana, Mississippi, Missouri, Tennessee, and Texas - none will be the "last" state with a law banning Same-sex Civil Marriage. By the time that it gets down to those states they will all have SSCM based on a SCOTUS decision.


    >>>>

  9. #79
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Last Seen
    02-18-14 @ 08:18 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    5,660

    Re: What will be the last state to have same sex marriage? [W: 33]

    Quote Originally Posted by The Mark View Post
    A true libertarian basically wants things to be just a hair shy of pure anarchy, and relies on human goodness and sense to prevent such.

    However, mamy people (perhaps most?) like the freedom and lack of overbearing rules which libertarianism espopses, and are thus partially libertarian.

    I myself am A Libertarian Conservative Liberal (in that order, more or less), or at least I agree in part with aspects of each of those idea systems.
    As do i

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •