View Poll Results: What is the best way to run a ceramic doll company

Voters
15. You may not vote on this poll
  • Charge the highest prices possible. Keep the expenses the lowest possible.

    9 60.00%
  • Charge the lowest price possible. Keep the expenses the highest possible.

    0 0%
  • Do what is best for the world even if it loses you money.

    2 13.33%
  • Close it down so that nobody can have ceramic dolls.

    4 26.67%
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 59

Thread: What is the best way to run a ceramic doll company?

  1. #11
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    (none)
    Last Seen
    04-04-15 @ 09:11 PM
    Lean
    Communist
    Posts
    6,112
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: What is the best way to run a ceramic doll company?

    Quote Originally Posted by a351 View Post
    How will we make an informed decision without more information? For example, what color hair do the ceramic dolls have?
    It's a very complex business. There are so many variables involved. It's really hard to give you a break down of all the different hair colors of the various ceramic dolls.

  2. #12
    On Vacation
    joko104's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 04:30 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    31,569
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: What is the best way to run a ceramic doll company?

    So the OP started a strawman poll to make fun of another poll thread he started?

  3. #13
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    (none)
    Last Seen
    04-04-15 @ 09:11 PM
    Lean
    Communist
    Posts
    6,112
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: What is the best way to run a ceramic doll company?

    Quote Originally Posted by joko104 View Post
    So the OP started a strawman poll to make fun of another poll thread he started?
    Many people were uncomfortable viewing the Health Insurance industry as profit motivated. This is an alternative for the faint of heart. Ceramic Doll Manufacturing is a lot less emotional line of business. I can use their answer in this poll and apply it to the other poll without causing severe emotional trauma to those who view health insurance as a charity/business hybrid.

    I hope that makes sense. If not. I can always try again.

  4. #14
    versus the world
    Surtr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    The greatest planet in the world.
    Last Seen
    06-10-14 @ 03:54 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    7,017

    Re: What is the best way to run a ceramic doll company?

    Quote Originally Posted by vasuderatorrent View Post
    What is the best way to run a ceramic doll company?

    (This is the sequel to my poll titled, "What is the best way to run a cracker company?" It is my theory that both polls will yield similar results.)
    Ceramic dolls are a niche market, thus entitling the manufacturer to charge niche prices. However, to remain in business, and foster a collector's market, quality materials and craftsmanship definitely need to be used. You don't necessarily want to use the lowest cost of materials and processes, but for the sake of profit, you do want to keep production costs low.
    I love the NSA. It's like having a secret fan-base you will never see, but they're there, watching everything you write and it makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside knowing that I may be some person's only form of unconstitutional entertainment one night.

  5. #15
    Sage

    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    The Republic of Texas.
    Last Seen
    11-15-17 @ 11:40 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    5,647

    Re: What is the best way to run a ceramic doll company?

    Hire a good CEO who knows the business.
    Only a fool measures equality by results and not opportunities.

  6. #16
    Guru
    ashurbanipal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Private
    Posts
    4,872

    Re: What is the best way to run a ceramic doll company?

    I want to expand a little on my previous post. There is a general feeling among some people that the sole aim of a business is to make money. If goods (let alone the best good) are measured by telos--i.e. the intent with which a project is undertaken--then it is good for a business to make money. Now, I want to be clear that making money is not bad in and of itself, and that businesses should make a profit, all else being equal.

    However, there is a disconnect here. The whole reason we have an economy, money and trade, jobs, and so on, is to enable a certain ideal way of life for every member, or almost every member, of society who upholds their end of the social contract. When Adam Smith extolled market economics, he was doing so because he thought free markets (for merchandise, not for wages, importantly) are the best way to ensure the goals of having an economy, not because free markets are a good unto themselves. People who contribute to society deserve to reap the benefits of living in a society, and furthermore, there is an expectation of some level of egalitarianism. There is also an expectation that no sub-unit of society, whether it be an individual, a family, a club, or a company, will do undue harm. There is a time for self-sacrifice to acheive those aims. When we see only profit at any cost, those aims are ignored, and that's when things start to go wrong. It is good for the world for a ceramic doll company, an insurance company, or any kind of company to make a reasonable profit when that profit does not result in undue harm to the overall goals of having an economy in the first place. When it does result in such harm, then it is not good for a company to make such profit.

  7. #17
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    (none)
    Last Seen
    04-04-15 @ 09:11 PM
    Lean
    Communist
    Posts
    6,112
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: What is the best way to run a ceramic doll company?

    Quote Originally Posted by DVSentinel View Post
    Hire a good CEO who knows the business.
    what a cop out.

  8. #18
    Sage

    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    The Republic of Texas.
    Last Seen
    11-15-17 @ 11:40 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    5,647

    Re: What is the best way to run a ceramic doll company?

    Quote Originally Posted by vasuderatorrent View Post
    what a cop out.
    The best way to run any business is to hire people who know what they are doing.

    I don't know enough about the business to make good decisions, so I would hire someone who does. It works for any business. To be successful you have to know business and the specifics of the market for the type of business. In each case that you have presented so far, you have only offered very biased options, none of which, should I choose to run a business would be my choice and none of which I find reflected in the business environment of the world/national market place.
    Only a fool measures equality by results and not opportunities.

  9. #19
    don't panic
    marduc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Last Seen
    10-22-17 @ 04:10 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    5,301

    Re: What is the best way to run a ceramic doll company?

    I was hoping to see "smashingly" as a poll option.
    Law Enforcement Against Prohibition
    Drugs are bad, prohibition is worse

  10. #20
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:25 AM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,344
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: What is the best way to run a ceramic doll company?

    Quote Originally Posted by vasuderatorrent View Post
    Many people were uncomfortable viewing the Health Insurance industry as profit motivated. This is an alternative for the faint of heart. Ceramic Doll Manufacturing is a lot less emotional line of business. I can use their answer in this poll and apply it to the other poll without causing severe emotional trauma to those who view health insurance as a charity/business hybrid.

    I hope that makes sense. If not. I can always try again.
    Care to document the bolded?
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •