View Poll Results: Do you boycott particular businesses?

Voters
46. You may not vote on this poll
  • Social issues

    19 41.30%
  • Political issues

    21 45.65%
  • Treatment issues

    28 60.87%
  • Other

    16 34.78%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 10 of 19 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast
Results 91 to 100 of 190

Thread: Do you boycott particular businesses?

  1. #91
    Black Is Smart
    Van Basten's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    The New New Frontier
    Last Seen
    11-06-17 @ 07:59 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    4,661

    Re: Do you boycott particular businesses?

    I didn't go to the Starbucks at my uni (or anywhere)for like six months after dealing with a bitchy worker there. That's about it, and it wasn't a real boycott like you're looking for though.
    "We have more responsibility than power, I think. The newspaper can create great controversies, stir up arguments within the community or discussion, can throw light on injustices....just as it can do the opposite. It can hide things and be a great power for evil." -- Rupert Murdoch, 1968

  2. #92
    Mixed Government advocate
    Master PO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    93,000,000 miles from Earth where its very Hot
    Last Seen
    11-30-17 @ 01:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    31,331

    Re: Do you boycott particular businesses?

    Miller Beer.. I will not drink their products because I disagree with their views on things, besides what fool puts beer in a clear glass bottle.

  3. #93
    Sage
    Dezaad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Last Seen
    06-28-15 @ 10:43 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    5,058
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Do you boycott particular businesses?

    Quote Originally Posted by radcen View Post
    Do you boycott particular businesses? If so, which ones and why?

    I general do not boycott over social issues. For example, many friends of mine boycott Chick-fil-A over their religious stances. I do not (though I don't think their food is orgasmic like many others seem to think). I figure that if I look hard enough that I can fine something in every business that offends me, then I'd be left with no place to go.

    I general DO boycott over repeated instances of shoddy customer service and/or crappy policies. If you treat ME like crap, I'm going to stop going there. For example, I liked the merchandise and prices at Burlington Coat Factory, but hated their return policies. I rarely return anything, but still want the option when necessary, and don't like the feeling of that I'm somehow being unfair. You either stand behind your merchandise, or you don't. Hence, I stopped shopping there.
    When business libertarians successfully argue that there should be no government regulation business treatment of social issues, and they say that instead we should let people vote with their dollars, I for one must take them seriously. They succeed at helping these businesses at avoiding regulation. As a consequence, I have no choice but to play by their rules, if I want social change. I must boycott as much as I am able without creating enormous inconvenience to myself.

    I always find it odd that the same libertarians who claim we should vote with our dollars always seem to turn around and then say that people are stupid for boycotting.

    Here is a little mock advertising for Chik fil a, for your enjoyment:

    http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=sO-mspl...%3DsO-msplukrw
    You can never be safe from a government that can keep you completely safe from each other and the world. You must choose.

  4. #94
    Mixed Government advocate
    Master PO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    93,000,000 miles from Earth where its very Hot
    Last Seen
    11-30-17 @ 01:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    31,331

    Re: Do you boycott particular businesses?

    Quote Originally Posted by Dezaad View Post
    When business libertarians successfully argue that there should be no government regulation business treatment of social issues, and they say that instead we should let people vote with their dollars, I for one must take them seriously. They succeed at helping these businesses at avoiding regulation. As a consequence, I have no choice but to play by their rules, if I want social change. I must boycott as much as I am able without creating enormous inconvenience to myself.

    I always find it odd that the same libertarians who claim we should vote with our dollars always seem to turn around and then say that people are stupid for boycotting.

    Here is a little mock advertising for Chik fil a, for your enjoyment:

    http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=sO-mspl...%3DsO-msplukrw
    incorrect it is not......no regulation,...... but only enough regulation needed to protect the rights of individuals.

    there is nothing wrong with boycotting places..... you don't want to spend your dollars at.....its called liberty, freedom of choice.

    however its never acceptable to do things with interfere with the operations of their business

  5. #95
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:33 PM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,340
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Do you boycott particular businesses?

    Quote Originally Posted by ernst barkmann View Post
    Miller Beer.. I will not drink their products because I disagree with their views on things, besides what fool puts beer in a clear glass bottle.
    OK, I will bite: what views do Miller Beer have that you disagree with?
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  6. #96
    Mixed Government advocate
    Master PO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    93,000,000 miles from Earth where its very Hot
    Last Seen
    11-30-17 @ 01:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    31,331

    Re: Do you boycott particular businesses?

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    OK, I will bite: what views do Miller Beer have that you disagree with?
    does it matter?

    I have my disagreements........and beer in a clear bottle.....crazy!

  7. #97
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:33 PM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,340
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Do you boycott particular businesses?

    Quote Originally Posted by ernst barkmann View Post
    does it matter?

    I have my disagreements........and beer in a clear bottle.....crazy!
    Not terribly, I was just curious.
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  8. #98
    Sage
    Hatuey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    42,076

    Re: Do you boycott particular businesses?

    I don't have the time to boycott any particular stores. I also don't keep up with the news enough to know who is getting boycott and for what.
    I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality. - MLK

  9. #99
    Dungeon Master
    Hooter Babe

    DiAnna's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Northern California
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    32,661
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Do you boycott particular businesses?

    I don't actually boycott businesses per se. I'm not adverse to it, but so far I've never been politically or personally incensed about an issue to the point that I would take such a stand.

    When it comes to quality product and/or service, however, that's a whole 'nother ball of wax. After being served inedible crap by IHOP, Outback and Applebees, I would never enter one of those establishments again, even though my rational mind knows that it very well could have been a single restaurant that was poorly run rather than the entire franchise. Serve me crap, treat me like crap, patronize and insult me when I request assistance with a product on your shelves and you will never see my gorgeous round ass on your premises again... and yes, your store management will be informed as to why.

    Political boycotts like the Chick-Fil-A debacle... meh. That reeks of elitism, intolerance, and just plain neener-neener adolescence. I ain't got time for that ****. If you don't want me to patronize your establishment, you'll have to do more than wear a "Pro-Abortionists are Murderers" tee shirt, 'cause you're entitled to be wrong. Just flip me the bird, baby. I'll make like David Copperfield and go poof! Of course, I'll leave your bosses some nice correspondence for your personnel file on the way out... no need to thank me! Happy to help!

  10. #100
    Ho, ho, ho.
    Superfly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    East Coast
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    21,677

    Re: Do you boycott particular businesses?

    We are busy, and eat out a lot. We used to order pizza about 2 or 3 times a month from our local Dominos. Haven't eaten there in going on 2 years because of the way they treated us. Also there's a seafood restaurant that we used to frequent often. Good food, good atmosphere, right on the water. Was about 45 minutes from home, though, and expensive. For the four of us, we paid $95 plus another $15 tip. The last time we went there, the food was terrible. The crab stew was dried up and nasty, the food was cold and bland, the service was awful and they'd gone up in price. We paid $105 for the same thing that we'd paid for before. When you drive 45 minutes and pay that price, you expect the food to be good. I didn't have one good thing to say about it. I emailed them as we were regulars there and explained how bad everything was. Even sent pictures of everything. She sent me a half-assed apology letter that didn't really sound apologetic and said nothing else.

    I decided if I'm going to pay that much for food, I'm going to go somewhere where somebody stands behind their product. We averaged eating there like once a month. Haven't been back in months, and have no plans to go back.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chomsky
    It's easy to be a Conservative, until you need help.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cardinal
    After years of condemning Bill Clinton for being a rapist, Republicans apparently changed their minds about the whole thing and elected one of their own.
    Quote Originally Posted by iliveonramen
    Fox News knows their audience. Nuance and facts aren't why they tune in.

Page 10 of 19 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •