View Poll Results: Do you think there is a correlation between teacher pay and quality of education?

Voters
77. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    37 48.05%
  • No

    40 51.95%
Page 33 of 34 FirstFirst ... 2331323334 LastLast
Results 321 to 330 of 336

Thread: Do you think there is a correlation between teacher pay and quality of education?

  1. #321
    Teacher of All Things


    Josie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    28,760

    Re: Do you think there is a correlation between teacher pay and quality of education?

    Quote Originally Posted by Zariak View Post
    nat avg. 35,000 dollars/year

    I'm not sure where you teach, but obviously they pay you better.
    That's national starting salary. Let's not pretend that the average teacher in America is getting paid a starting salary because we all know it isn't true.

    And a salary of $35,000 at 22 years old? THAT is too low? Really?

    I work in a low income district. The average teacher salary in my district is about $45,000. That's like twice the amount most people in town make.


  2. #322
    Sage
    Bodhisattva's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    New Zealand
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 07:11 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    64,322

    Re: Do you think there is a correlation between teacher pay and quality of education?

    Quote Originally Posted by Josie View Post
    That's national starting salary. Let's not pretend that the average teacher in America is getting paid a starting salary because we all know it isn't true.

    And a salary of $35,000 at 22 years old? THAT is too low? Really?

    I work in a low income district. The average teacher salary in my district is about $45,000. That's like twice the amount most people in town make.
    And I made $58,000 after 4 years in CA.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have pooped in public, even in public neighborhoods.
    Quote Originally Posted by OldFatGuy View Post
    Usually a gag for wise mouthed insulting little girls. Then some good nylon rope so I can tie them up, toss them in the trunk of my car and forget about them.

  3. #323
    Advisor Zariak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Last Seen
    02-08-15 @ 01:59 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    470

    Re: Do you think there is a correlation between teacher pay and quality of education?

    Quote Originally Posted by Josie View Post
    That's national starting salary. Let's not pretend that the average teacher in America is getting paid a starting salary because we all know it isn't true.

    And a salary of $35,000 at 22 years old? THAT is too low? Really?

    I work in a low income district. The average teacher salary in my district is about $45,000. That's like twice the amount most people in town make.
    my apologies, I was in a rush and grabbed a chart without reading it.

    I see the point you are trying to make.

    So, you would be an advocate of higher standards, but same pay?
    "I mean, everybody should have access to medical care. And, you know, it shouldn't be such a big deal."
    -Dr. Paul Farmer

  4. #324
    Teacher of All Things


    Josie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    28,760

    Re: Do you think there is a correlation between teacher pay and quality of education?

    Quote Originally Posted by Zariak View Post
    So, you would be an advocate of higher standards, but same pay?
    I'm an advocate of simple standards --- do your flippin' job. If you don't do your job, you should be fired. Of course, the unions will never allow that to happen.


  5. #325
    Sage
    Dittohead not!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    The Golden State
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 01:40 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    42,064

    Re: Do you think there is a correlation between teacher pay and quality of education?

    Compared to other occupations, teachers do make decent money. It wasn't always that way, and it didn't become so because teachers started making a lot more money.

    It is because other occupations are making a lot less compared to the cost of living.
    "Donald Trump is a phony, a fraud... [he's] playing the American public for suckers." Mitt Romney

  6. #326
    King Conspiratard
    Dr. Chuckles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Last Seen
    02-13-14 @ 03:04 PM
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    12,895

    Re: Do you think there is a correlation between teacher pay and quality of education?

    Quote Originally Posted by Zariak View Post
    I'm personally disappointed with how much our educators make. IMO, they should be starting at around 100K salaries, with the due education, of course.

    But, there's always the nagging thought in my head that tells me there might not even be any correlation between education quality and teacher pay.

    I think we can all agree that our education system needs fixing. What do you think?
    I think the pay is secondary to the place of social importance and esteem placed on the position. If we raised the requirements for teaching programs and made them more difficult to get into, then you can attract better people with the offer of increased pay. Offering some schloop that same amount of money isn't going to change the fact that he's still a schloop

  7. #327
    Canadian Conservative
    CanadaJohn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:31 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    27,292

    Re: Do you think there is a correlation between teacher pay and quality of education?

    Quote Originally Posted by WorldWatcher View Post
    #1 - We have also have multiple "lanes" as we call them for differing qualifications, 9 with a 10th if you count stipends for National Board Certified Teachers. I was addressing the experience portion of your statement.

    #2 - You said "the vast majority of teachers are in the upper pay brackets, with 20 plus years experience." I simply provided a counterpoint that that isn't likely true, if you were to pull an experience distribution of your school system I'd bet it look similar to ours where most of your teacher population falls under the 20 year mark.

    #3 - As you say, teacher can reach the top pay scale at 10 years. Therefore just because teachers on are on the top payscale does not mean that the "vast majority of teachers" have 20+ years.


    >>>>
    Granted, I've been retired for a little over 3 years, but I know from detailed review of the teaching staff at the board where I worked that well over 50%, almost 60%, of the teachers employed were in the top bracket both in experience and qualifications and have been there for some time - it's a prime reason why union negotiators were always looking at ways to increase benefits and working conditions because the majority of their members had nowhere to go on the grid - they'd reached the top. We also had something called a "retirement gratuity" which is a payment a teacher "earned" based on not using sick leave credits and accumulating them over the course of their employment with the board. They received 24 sick days a year and if they didn't use them and accumulated at least 196 sick days over their career, working at least 25 years, and retired with them they could receive a lump sum half year's salary payment - there were 196 teaching days in a year - if they accumulated less than that, they would receive 50% of the reduced amount. When I retired, the board had an unrealized liability in this area of tens of millions of dollars because we had so many teachers who qualified for the maximum amount.

    It's a totally different jurisdiction and situation than you present so it's not possible to compare - my point was that teaching conditions, teacher pay and the basket of benefits, at least here, makes teaching a desired career and a well compensated one, as witnessed by the limited number who leave of their own free will.
    "Liberals claim to want to give a hearing to other views, but then are shocked and offended to discover that there are other views." William F. Buckley Jr.

  8. #328
    King Conspiratard
    Dr. Chuckles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Last Seen
    02-13-14 @ 03:04 PM
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    12,895

    Re: Do you think there is a correlation between teacher pay and quality of education?

    Quote Originally Posted by Josie View Post
    That's national starting salary. Let's not pretend that the average teacher in America is getting paid a starting salary because we all know it isn't true.

    And a salary of $35,000 at 22 years old? THAT is too low? Really?

    I work in a low income district. The average teacher salary in my district is about $45,000. That's like twice the amount most people in town make.
    Amanda Riley actually covors this in "smartest kids in the world". One of the major points she sticks on is that it's about prestige of the position. In many of the high performing school areas, teaching is a very difficult and prestigious field to enter, on par with medical and law schools. Naturally this amounts to those teachers making higher wages, but the better performance is based on the selection process involved in the merit system required to get a teaching degree and the social respect they can command.

    She also talks about our love affair with technology and how most of these high performing schools still use text books and chalk boards (she mentions a dc school district where every student has a computer tablet). Basically, Americans tend to miss the forest for the trees when it comes to what makes better performing students.

    PS

  9. #329
    Black Is Smart
    Van Basten's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    The New New Frontier
    Last Seen
    11-06-17 @ 07:59 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    4,661

    Re: Do you think there is a correlation between teacher pay and quality of education?

    If the field were competitive and well paying, there would be some pleasing results.
    "We have more responsibility than power, I think. The newspaper can create great controversies, stir up arguments within the community or discussion, can throw light on injustices....just as it can do the opposite. It can hide things and be a great power for evil." -- Rupert Murdoch, 1968

  10. #330
    On Vacation
    joko104's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Last Seen
    12-26-17 @ 12:12 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    31,569
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Do you think there is a correlation between teacher pay and quality of education?

    Does money buy us better politicians?

Page 33 of 34 FirstFirst ... 2331323334 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •