View Poll Results: What is your favorite argument against higher taxes?

Voters
50. You may not vote on this poll
  • Economic Detriment Argument

    18 36.00%
  • Moral Argument

    10 20.00%
  • Hardship Argument

    9 18.00%
  • I Said So Argument

    1 2.00%
  • Waste Encouragement Argument

    10 20.00%
  • I don't agree with any of these arguments.

    21 42.00%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 134

Thread: What is your favorite argument against higher taxes?

  1. #41
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Colorado mountains
    Last Seen
    01-03-15 @ 08:59 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    5,729

    Re: What is your favorite argument against higher taxes?

    Quote Originally Posted by RabidAlpaca View Post
    I'm not a republican, and I don't like them either, so I don't particularly care to have a "he did, she did" argument with you. Fact is, our politicians can't keep a budget (democrats and republicans), and the worst solution possible is to reward them with more money to mismanage.
    If the opposite of reward is to punish no politician gets "punished" by having less revenue to work with. We end up "punishing " ourselves with higher debt and fewer essential services. The only way to truly "not reward" and to "punish " an irresponsible politician is to vote them out of office.

  2. #42
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Colorado mountains
    Last Seen
    01-03-15 @ 08:59 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    5,729

    Re: What is your favorite argument against higher taxes?

    Quote Originally Posted by Henrin View Post
    Well, you see, they used the argument I argued against to suggest that the higher rates were warranted on more than the simplistic and rather apparent argument that the rich had more money and thus could afford more. That argument alone wouldn't actually lead someone to believe that the rich should be taxed more, but simply that what all can afford should be considered. Meaning, your argument doesn't work, and doesn't lead me to support progressive taxation, but simply lower rates. There is simply no reason suggested in your argument to run from one rate applied to all.
    You are still rambling and debating arguments that I did not make.
    I made my point about why a flat tax is inequitable and would hurt the economy.
    From your first sentence ...Who are "they"?
    Last edited by Buck Ewer; 10-27-13 at 09:31 AM.

  3. #43
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    07-19-17 @ 03:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    60,458

    Re: What is your favorite argument against higher taxes?

    Quote Originally Posted by Buck Ewer View Post
    If the opposite of reward is to punish no politician gets "punished" by having less revenue to work with. We end up "punishing " ourselves with higher debt and fewer essential services. The only way to truly "not reward" and to "punish " an irresponsible politician is to vote them out of office.
    Fewer essential services? What? I think you meant to say "all my babies would no longer get funding".

  4. #44
    Engineer

    RabidAlpaca's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    American in Europe
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 07:04 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    14,575

    Re: What is your favorite argument against higher taxes?

    Quote Originally Posted by Buck Ewer View Post
    If the opposite of reward is to punish no politician gets "punished" by having less revenue to work with. We end up "punishing " ourselves with higher debt and fewer essential services. The only way to truly "not reward" and to "punish " an irresponsible politician is to vote them out of office.
    Uh huh, and when was the last time that's changed ANYTHING? All they do is promise they'll change it then never do. At a minimum freeze their budget, don't give them more money as a reward.
    Quote Originally Posted by LowDown View Post
    I've got to say that it is shadenfreudalicious to see the rich and famous fucquewads on the coast suffering from the fires.

  5. #45
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    07-19-17 @ 03:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    60,458

    Re: What is your favorite argument against higher taxes?

    Quote Originally Posted by Buck Ewer View Post
    You are still rambling and debating arguments that I did not make.
    From your first sentence ...Who are "they"?
    Actually, I am. Your argument basically amounts to that the rich have more and can afford more. It a durr argument that amounts to nothing. You need to warrant it in terms of value, not in how much money they have to spend. If someone is going to spend more for the same service you need to warrant the cost difference in terms value to the individual paying. Understand?

    If you fail to do that I have no reason to care or consider the cost difference justified. Of course, the task I gave you is impossible.
    Last edited by Henrin; 10-27-13 at 09:52 AM.

  6. #46
    Sage
    cpwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    USofA
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    57,123

    Re: What is your favorite argument against higher taxes?

    My favorite is not represented: "Increasing taxes will not actually give you the revenue you are expecting".

  7. #47
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Colorado mountains
    Last Seen
    01-03-15 @ 08:59 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    5,729

    Re: What is your favorite argument against higher taxes?

    Quote Originally Posted by RabidAlpaca View Post
    Uh huh, and when was the last time that's changed ANYTHING? All they do is promise they'll change it then never do. At a minimum freeze their budget, don't give them more money as a reward.
    What it really comes down to is K Street lobbyists who basically bribe congressmen with re-election money.
    Until real campaign finance reform happens and lobbying is severely restricted the same ole game will continue to play out term after term. Cutting taxes will never end that cycle ...cutting taxes only increases the debt. Bush proved that.

  8. #48
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Colorado mountains
    Last Seen
    01-03-15 @ 08:59 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    5,729

    Re: What is your favorite argument against higher taxes?

    Quote Originally Posted by Henrin View Post
    Actually, I am. Your argument basically amounts to that the rich have more and can afford more. It a durr argument that amounts to nothing. You need to warrant it in terms of value, not in how much money they have to spend. If someone is going to spend more for the same service you need to warrant the cost difference in terms value to the individual paying. Understand?

    If you fail to do that I have no reason to care or consider the cost difference justified.
    Again if the poor and middle class take a larger burden of revenue then they have less to put into the economy by buying goods and services with what they do make. So with a flat tax although the wealthy guy pays less in taxes he never makes as much profit because the economy is strangled.
    The flat tax is greed motivated by the wealthy and would be bad for the economy. Putting the larger burden on the wealthy doesn't hurt them as much ( they will still be wealthy) and everyone ends up winning with greater economic activity. Including the wealthy.
    BTW taxes are not a costs so much as they are a civic responsibilities.

  9. #49
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    07-19-17 @ 03:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    60,458

    Re: What is your favorite argument against higher taxes?

    Quote Originally Posted by Buck Ewer View Post
    Again if the poor and middle class take a larger burden of revenue then they have less to put into the economy by buying goods and services with what they do make. So with a flat tax although the wealthy guy pays less in taxes he never makes as much profit because the economy is strangled.
    The flat tax is greed motivated by the wealthy and would be bad for the economy. Putting the larger burden on the wealthy doesn't hurt them as much ( they will still be wealthy) and everyone ends up winning with greater economic activity.
    Makes no difference. The service provided is the same and therefore valued the same across the board. You can't just make up your own rules for government as if it's consistent and meaningful. There is no reason prices should be regressive in the market and not in government. It's services provided and services paid for in both places and therefore warrants the same treatment. The world is regressive and it's actually fair that way.

    BTW taxes not a costs so much as they are a civic responsibilities.
    So the civic responsibilities should be unequal? Do you even realize that is what you just said?

    Btw, you do realize profits are taxed, right?
    Last edited by Henrin; 10-27-13 at 10:06 AM.

  10. #50
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Colorado mountains
    Last Seen
    01-03-15 @ 08:59 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    5,729

    Re: What is your favorite argument against higher taxes?

    Quote Originally Posted by Henrin View Post
    Fewer essential services? What? I think you meant to say "all my babies would no longer get funding".
    Yes, fewer essential services. What "babies" are you referring to?
    I'm beginning to think you may be drunk.

Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •