View Poll Results: What is your favorite argument against higher taxes?

Voters
50. You may not vote on this poll
  • Economic Detriment Argument

    18 36.00%
  • Moral Argument

    10 20.00%
  • Hardship Argument

    9 18.00%
  • I Said So Argument

    1 2.00%
  • Waste Encouragement Argument

    10 20.00%
  • I don't agree with any of these arguments.

    21 42.00%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 10 of 14 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast
Results 91 to 100 of 134

Thread: What is your favorite argument against higher taxes?

  1. #91
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    07-19-17 @ 03:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    60,458

    Re: What is your favorite argument against higher taxes?

    Quote Originally Posted by Buck Ewer View Post
    Sorry I forgot that to understand sarcasm one must possess the ability to empathize with another's point of view.
    I'll try not to let that happen again. It's easy to forget I am sadly dealing with someone with such a disability.
    I only empathize with people, not views based on nonsense.

  2. #92
    Sage

    ocean515's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Southern California
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    24,705

    Re: What is your favorite argument against higher taxes?

    Quote Originally Posted by Buck Ewer View Post
    I don't. Greed is a great motivator to attain many stations in life, wealth is a great carrot.
    I don't necessarily condemn greed as a motivator I am just willing to do what you all seem to want to deny... I recognize the reality of the situation. Greed does not become evil until it is the only motivator in ones life... Like the Kochs.
    Let's look at the Walton family ...They pour billions into campaigns to keep their workers from getting any raise in the minimum wage they must pay their employees. Not one penny. The family is worth 150 BILLION. How much can you hope to spend on yourself in one lifetime?
    If that ain't pure greed you tell me what you think it is.
    Pure greed is demanding others compensate you for your own failings.

  3. #93
    Guru
    Cyrylek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Boston
    Last Seen
    02-05-17 @ 01:49 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    3,467

    Re: What is your favorite argument against higher taxes?

    Quote Originally Posted by Buck Ewer View Post
    You seem to be referring to the Laffer curve of conservative tax theory.
    It is an elementary notion that was popularized by Laffer in a crude and politicized form. It was called the ibn Khaldun curve where I studied in my youth.

    Quote Originally Posted by Buck Ewer View Post
    In practice the tax cuts of the Bush Jr administration that ( according to Laffer) should have produced higher revenues, had the opposite effect and are largely responsible for the towering debt we now operate under.
    Government spending covered by borrowing is responsible for debt, and nothing else. The revenues, mind you, kept growing under Bush, all the way till the financial crisis kicked in: from about $ 1.78 T in 2003, when the Bush tax cuts were enacted, to about $ 2.57 T in 2007. (http://www.taxpolicycenter.org/taxfa....cfm?Docid=200)
    Revenues were higher, it is just not clear what made them so. You may argue that they would be greater without tax cuts, or the other way around. The fact is that we were spending much more than we were taking in.


    Quote Originally Posted by Buck Ewer View Post
    The Laffer curve would have predicted that J Paul Getty would shut down all his oil dericks and closed up shop when approaching that tax rate.
    He didn't.
    What are you talking about? It has precious little to do with J Paul Getty feelings - it has everything to do with resources being yanked out the "real economy" and pushed through the leaky pipes of government, with all the transaction costs, opportunity costs, misallocation and corruption attached. Less capital invested means less capital generated in the next round, i.e. less of a revenue base. Nobody ever disputed that. The question is, will it be so much less that actual revenues at the same rate of taxation will drop? At any given point, Republicans claim to know that the answer is "Yes", Democrats claim to know that the answer is "No", and both are basically full of it.


    Quote Originally Posted by Buck Ewer View Post
    No one will close up shop if they are asked to pay the rates they did when Reagan took office .
    Be careful with this "no one". Ironically, the very rich are not that affected by higher taxes on the very rich, on the personal level. But proportional underinvestment in businesses run by the not-so-rich very well may close a bunch of shops. Small, science-rich companies I have worked for my whole life are absolutely dependent on repeated injections of capital from venture capitalists. They have less money - I have lower chances of getting funded.

    Quote Originally Posted by Buck Ewer View Post
    and those rates will solve our current fiscal problems.
    No they won't. Our current fiscal problems are caused by spending that always catches up with any increase in revenues. Period. This is like a teenager maxing out her dad's credit cards and telling him to get a second job, so that the "increased revenues" "solve our current problem".
    Last edited by Cyrylek; 10-27-13 at 12:32 PM.

  4. #94
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Colorado mountains
    Last Seen
    01-03-15 @ 08:59 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    5,729

    Re: What is your favorite argument against higher taxes?

    Quote Originally Posted by ocean515 View Post
    Cynical? Naw. Truthful. Why let the goverment confiscate billions upon ones death, when one can become immortalized by buildings and other such memorials, for eternity via a non-profit foundation?

    Middle class guys with the same political slant dont create think tanks, fund websites, and place their agenda in classrooms across the country, like the billionaires who define what you're suppose to believe, and instruct you on how to act.

    Fortunately for them, there are those who need such mentors to give them purpose, since it's apparent they have been uable to discover that themselves.

    Of course, the typical insult only proves how indoctrinated Progressive are.
    Your posts are dripping with self aggrandizing patronizing cynicism. No billionaire motivates or instructs me on "how to act". That, you see, is a primarily a republicon trait. You just can't get past the fact that someone may be a billionaire and still care about his fellow human beings that he shares his country with.
    I do understand your deep need for dismissive cynicism though, with your lack of moral empathy and inability to appreciate heart felt humanity it must be the only way you can get yourself to sleep at night.
    I actually feel sorry for you...
    and that is the honest truth.

  5. #95
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    07-19-17 @ 03:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    60,458

    Re: What is your favorite argument against higher taxes?

    Quote Originally Posted by Buck Ewer View Post
    Your posts are dripping with self aggrandizing patronizing cynicism. No billionaire motivates or instructs me on "how to act". That, you see, is a primarily a republicon trait. You just can't get past the fact that someone may be a billionaire and still care about his fellow human beings that he shares his country with.
    That makes no sense what so ever.

    1. Endorsing progressive taxation is not caring for your fellow human beings.
    2. Supporting a compulsory tax model is not caring for your fellow human beings.
    3. Supporting people pillaging the treasury for personal favor is not caring for your fellow human beings.

    Many of these people you speak of actually do pillage the treasury and ask the government for such favor.

    I do understand your deep need for dismissive cynicism though, with your lack of moral empathy and inability to appreciate heart felt humanity it must be the only way you can get yourself to sleep at night.
    I actually feel sorry for you...
    and that is the honest truth.
    A man that supports violating the property rights of people and treating others as slaves to their desires is not one to speak on morality.

  6. #96
    Sage

    ocean515's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Southern California
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    24,705

    Re: What is your favorite argument against higher taxes?

    Quote Originally Posted by Buck Ewer View Post
    Your posts are dripping with self aggrandizing patronizing cynicism. No billionaire motivates or instructs me on "how to act". That, you see, is a primarily a republicon trait. You just can't get past the fact that someone may be a billionaire and still care about his fellow human beings that he shares his country with.
    I do understand your deep need for dismissive cynicism though, with your lack of moral empathy and inability to appreciate heart felt humanity it must be the only way you can get yourself to sleep at night.
    I actually feel sorry for you...
    and that is the honest truth.


    I got it, your billionaires are better than mine. Obviously, their indoctrination works on some people. As long as your greed is fed, it's all good. Right?

  7. #97
    On Vacation
    joko104's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Last Seen
    12-03-17 @ 03:32 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    31,568
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: What is your favorite argument against higher taxes?

    What is mine is mine, what is your's is yours.

    What about a poll asking "what is your argument for having locks on your doors and not leaving your keys in your car?"

  8. #98
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Colorado mountains
    Last Seen
    01-03-15 @ 08:59 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    5,729

    Re: What is your favorite argument against higher taxes?

    Quote Originally Posted by Cyrylek View Post



    No they won't. Our current fiscal problems are caused by spending that always catches up with any increase in revenues. Period. This is like a teenager maxing out her dad's credit cards and telling him to get a second job, so that the "increased revenues" "solve our current problem".
    Be careful with that "always" ...Under Bill Clinton revenues increased much faster than spending when he raised taxes on the wealthy and he actually started to to pay down the debt.
    The bragging that revenues doubled under Reagan and Bush are pretty silly points to bring up. Under all administrations revenues have always doubled or more within any eight year period.
    The argument that the near-doubling of revenues during Reagan's two terms proves the value of tax cuts is an old argument. It's also extremely flawed. At 99.6 percent, revenues did nearly double during the 80s. However, they had likewise doubled during EVERY SINGLE DECADE SINCE THE GREAT DEPRESSION! They went up 502.4% during the 40's, 134.5% during the 50's, 108.5% during the 60's, and 168.2% during the 70's. At 96.2 percent, they nearly doubled in the 90s as well. Hence, claiming that the Reagan tax cuts caused the doubling of revenues is like a rooster claiming credit for the dawn.
    Effect of the Reagan, Kennedy, and Bush Tax Cuts

  9. #99
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Melbourne Florida
    Last Seen
    04-18-17 @ 03:15 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    16,763

    Re: What is your favorite argument against higher taxes?

    History, look at what we have done with our tax dollars in the last 50 years. Then look how far the US has fallen in the last 50 years. Pretty simple math.

  10. #100
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Colorado mountains
    Last Seen
    01-03-15 @ 08:59 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    5,729

    Re: What is your favorite argument against higher taxes?

    Quote Originally Posted by ocean515 View Post


    I got it, your billionaires are better than mine. Obviously, their indoctrination works on some people. As long as your greed is fed, it's all good. Right?
    No. You missed my point.I don;t "have " billionaires. I have morality.

Page 10 of 14 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •