View Poll Results: Do people not living in swing states feel less vested in Presidential elctions?

Voters
18. You may not vote on this poll
  • I live in a swing state.

    7 38.89%
  • I do not live in a swing state but feel very vested in Presidential elections.

    3 16.67%
  • I do not live in a swing state and do not feel my vote matters in Presidential Elections

    8 44.44%
  • I don't participate in Presidential elections; citizenhip, record, protest, don't care

    0 0%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 20 of 20

Thread: Do people not living in swing states feel less vested in Presidential elctions?

  1. #11
    Sage
    Perotista's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:38 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    17,915
    Blog Entries
    24

    Re: Do people not living in swing states feel less vested in Presidential elctions?

    Quote Originally Posted by Smeagol View Post
    I live in a swing state and people here pretty much accept the notion that their vote is hugely important in the future of America. In fact, without going into detail I think I personally affected the outcome of a Presidential election.

    However if you live in California, Alabama, Massachusetts or Texas what's there to get excited about? Everybody knows how their state's Electoral College votes will go if they vote or not. Voting is important but for most states voting for POTUS seems more about making a statement than determining who will be the next President.

    Do people living in states where the outcome of a Presidential election is pretty much decided feel lees invested in the race than people in swing states?
    I pretty much think all elections are important down to dog catcher, but yes it is a bummer know who will win before the first vote is cast. In my case it is my congressional district and not so much the presidential. Georgia is not considered a swing state, but it is not that red either. People forget Georgia didn't election their first Republican Govenor until 2002 ever. Obama only lost by some 200,000 votes in 2008 to McCain to Romney by less than 300,000 out of some 5 million cast. There is a 50-50 chance next year we will send a Democratic senator to Washington and a conservative to moderate Democrat can win Georgia as Bill Clinton did.

    Swing states vary from election to election and a swing state in 2012 may not be one in 2016 depending on the candidate. Now the Northeast and west coast, I doubt if Lincoln could win there. But then again Romney and Brown won in MASS and is there a more liberal state in the union? Candidates and issues will determine swing states in any given election. But you're right, I can't foresee California or New York going for a Republican Presidential Candidate anytime soon or Alabama or Mississippi going to a Democrat.
    This Reform Party member thinks it is high past time that we start electing Americans to congress and the presidency who put America first and their political party further down the line. But for way too long we have been electing Republicans and Democrats who happen to be Americans instead of Americans who happen to be Republicans and Democrats.

  2. #12
    Sage
    Perotista's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:38 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    17,915
    Blog Entries
    24

    Re: Do people not living in swing states feel less vested in Presidential elctions?

    Quote Originally Posted by Aderleth View Post
    It's the primary reason I sometimes don't vote for president. If there's no candidate I actually like, I don't feel obligated to vote the party, because my state does so no matter what I do.
    I felt that way many, many time over the last six years when considering Republican vs. Democrat. So I voted third party in 5 of the last 6 presidential elections.
    This Reform Party member thinks it is high past time that we start electing Americans to congress and the presidency who put America first and their political party further down the line. But for way too long we have been electing Republicans and Democrats who happen to be Americans instead of Americans who happen to be Republicans and Democrats.

  3. #13
    Guru
    Porchev's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    GA
    Last Seen
    01-08-17 @ 12:49 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    3,092

    Re: Do people not living in swing states feel less vested in Presidential elctions?

    Quote Originally Posted by Perotista View Post

    Swing states vary from election to election and a swing state in 2012 may not be one in 2016 depending on the candidate. Now the Northeast and west coast, I doubt if Lincoln could win there. But then again Romney and Brown won in MASS and is there a more liberal state in the union? Candidates and issues will determine swing states in any given election. But you're right, I can't foresee California or New York going for a Republican Presidential Candidate anytime soon or Alabama or Mississippi going to a Democrat.
    I was about to the say the same thing that swing states vary election to election and depending on the candidates so it is always worth voting, because you never know what will happen. And even though it may seem like a long time ago to some, in the 1980's California was safely voting Republican in Presidential Elections, so who knows what the future will bring.

  4. #14
    Sage
    Perotista's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:38 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    17,915
    Blog Entries
    24

    Re: Do people not living in swing states feel less vested in Presidential elctions?

    Quote Originally Posted by Porchev View Post
    I was about to the say the same thing that swing states vary election to election and depending on the candidates so it is always worth voting, because you never know what will happen. And even though it may seem like a long time ago to some, in the 1980's California was safely voting Republican in Presidential Elections, so who knows what the future will bring.
    Exactly my friend. Last year I wondered big time why Obama never put any money or campaigned in Georgia outside of a couple of fund raisers in Atlanta. He had a shot, a very slim one. Especially when Romney was a very luke warm candidate down here. A lot of the prognosticators keep Georgia in the lean Romney column until about 2 weeks prior to the election itself. That means the race was competitive but one party had the advantage and in Georgia's case it was the Republicans. Georgia is a far cry from Alabama, Mississippi and South Carolina. But everyone just hears the word Georigia and automatically thinks they are a very dark solid red state. Not so.
    This Reform Party member thinks it is high past time that we start electing Americans to congress and the presidency who put America first and their political party further down the line. But for way too long we have been electing Republicans and Democrats who happen to be Americans instead of Americans who happen to be Republicans and Democrats.

  5. #15
    Educator
    rjay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:27 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    1,136

    Re: Do people not living in swing states feel less vested in Presidential elctions?

    Quote Originally Posted by DVSentinel View Post
    Texas may not be a swing state, but it is an anchor state. Without it to hold back the red tide, swing states wouldn't matter and the country would be guaranteed to be flushed into the sewer.
    Texas will be a swing state soon. The demographics will be changing it to purple, not unlike Arizona.
    Time flies like an arrow; fruitflies like a banana. - Groucho

  6. #16
    Guru
    Porchev's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    GA
    Last Seen
    01-08-17 @ 12:49 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    3,092

    Re: Do people not living in swing states feel less vested in Presidential elctions?

    Quote Originally Posted by Perotista View Post
    Exactly my friend. Last year I wondered big time why Obama never put any money or campaigned in Georgia outside of a couple of fund raisers in Atlanta. He had a shot, a very slim one. Especially when Romney was a very luke warm candidate down here. A lot of the prognosticators keep Georgia in the lean Romney column until about 2 weeks prior to the election itself. That means the race was competitive but one party had the advantage and in Georgia's case it was the Republicans. Georgia is a far cry from Alabama, Mississippi and South Carolina. But everyone just hears the word Georigia and automatically thinks they are a very dark solid red state. Not so.
    As far as 2012 is concerned, the person currently holding office always has the advantage, plus several southerners were not excited Romney was the Republican candidate, and I know some people did not like that he was Mormon. So yes, it could have possibly put Georgia in play. A long shot, but it was closer than a lot of people would have imagined.

  7. #17
    Sage
    Perotista's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:38 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    17,915
    Blog Entries
    24

    Re: Do people not living in swing states feel less vested in Presidential elctions?

    Quote Originally Posted by Porchev View Post
    As far as 2012 is concerned, the person currently holding office always has the advantage, plus several southerners were not excited Romney was the Republican candidate, and I know some people did not like that he was Mormon. So yes, it could have possibly put Georgia in play. A long shot, but it was closer than a lot of people would have imagined.
    Exactly, but un-needed
    This Reform Party member thinks it is high past time that we start electing Americans to congress and the presidency who put America first and their political party further down the line. But for way too long we have been electing Republicans and Democrats who happen to be Americans instead of Americans who happen to be Republicans and Democrats.

  8. #18
    Phonetic Mnemonic
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:00 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,397

    Re: Do people not living in swing states feel less vested in Presidential elctions?

    Quote Originally Posted by Smeagol View Post
    I live in a swing state and people here pretty much accept the notion that their vote is hugely important in the future of America. In fact, without going into detail I think I personally affected the outcome of a Presidential election.

    However if you live in California, Alabama, Massachusetts or Texas what's there to get excited about? Everybody knows how their state's Electoral College votes will go if they vote or not. Voting is important but for most states voting for POTUS seems more about making a statement than determining who will be the next President.

    Do people living in states where the outcome of a Presidential election is pretty much decided feel lees invested in the race than people in swing states?
    I lived in California most of my adult life, and virtually nobody (on either side) pays attention to the Presidential election because the results are a fait accompli.

    Now I live in Iowa, and the attention brought here is like night and day from California. Being somewhat of a political junkie, I love it.
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

  9. #19
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Last Seen
    02-18-14 @ 08:18 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    5,660

    Re: Do people not living in swing states feel less vested in Presidential elctions?

    Quote Originally Posted by radcen View Post
    I lived in California most of my adult life, and virtually nobody (on either side) pays attention to the Presidential election because the results are a fait accompli.

    Now I live in Iowa, and the attention brought here is like night and day from California. Being somewhat of a political junkie, I love it.
    I am in Iowa now and I love asking the local unions how their new healthcare insurance looks and watch their expressions because they know they got duped

  10. #20
    Sage
    chromium's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    A2
    Last Seen
    06-05-17 @ 10:53 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    16,968

    Re: Do people not living in swing states feel less vested in Presidential elctions?

    I suppose MI is a swing state, but it's been abandoned by repubs before election day recently. It doesn't matter to me though. One vote is not going to determine anything. I'd rather not be in a swing state because i don't want the roads shut down and all the security just for some politician to come give a short speech and take off.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •