View Poll Results: What kind of home did you grow up in?

Voters
75. You may not vote on this poll
  • I was told what to believe religiously and politically, and we never/rarely discussed these topics

    5 6.67%
  • I was told what to believe religiously and politically, and we often discussed these topics.

    4 5.33%
  • I was told what to believe religiously, but not politically, and we never/rarely discussed them

    8 10.67%
  • I was told what to believe religiously, but not politically, and we often discussed of these topics

    7 9.33%
  • I was told what to believe politically, but not religiously, and we never/rarely discussed them

    1 1.33%
  • I was told what to believe politically, but not religiously, and we often discussed these topics

    1 1.33%
  • I was not told what to believe religiously or politically and we never/rarely discussed these topics

    22 29.33%
  • I was not told what to believe religiously or politically and we often discussed these topics

    27 36.00%
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 58

Thread: What kind of home did you grow up in?

  1. #41
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    (none)
    Last Seen
    04-04-15 @ 09:11 PM
    Lean
    Communist
    Posts
    6,112
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: What kind of home did you grow up in?

    Quote Originally Posted by The Mark View Post
    Edit: I think part of the reason for this is that their religion believes someone must choose to join, and cannot be considered a member of such until they are allowed to.

    So while I went to church on Sundays, and they taught me their beliefs, I was never a "member" of their religion.
    I suppose if you analyze my particular brand of Christianity this rule applies as well. I guess I am just intrigued that you just shrug it off so easily in your comments. It might have been optional to convert but it was highly encouraged. You have to understand nobody wants you to go to hell and all of that. I was raised an evangelical Christian. Specifically I was Backwood Baptist. What denomination or religion were you brought up in that gave you a real choice? I'm not just talking like you have to chose whether you want to spend eternity in heaven with Jesus or an eternity in utter torment burning indefinetly with the devil and his angels. It sounds like you were given a choice which seems foreign to me.

    I'm not getting the vibe that you had that kind of pressure added to your decision. What denomination were you brought up in?

    vasuderatorrent

  2. #42
    Sporadic insanity normal.


    The Mark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:11 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    19,736

    Re: What kind of home did you grow up in?

    Quote Originally Posted by vasuderatorrent View Post
    I suppose if you analyze my particular brand of Christianity this rule applies as well. I guess I am just intrigued that you just shrug it off so easily in your comments. It might have been optional to convert but it was highly encouraged. You have to understand nobody wants you to go to hell and all of that. I was raised an evangelical Christian. Specifically I was Backwood Baptist. What denomination or religion were you brought up in that gave you a real choice? I'm not just talking like you have to chose whether you want to spend eternity in heaven with Jesus or an eternity in utter torment burning indefinetly with the devil and his angels. It sounds like you were given a choice which seems foreign to me.

    I'm not getting the vibe that you had that kind of pressure added to your decision. What denomination were you brought up in?

    vasuderatorrent
    Reformed Mennonite

    Damn, apparently there's a wikipedia page....interesting

    Reformed Mennonite - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Education.

    Sometimes I think we're alone. Sometimes I think we're not. In either case, the thought is staggering. ~ R. Buckminster Fuller

  3. #43
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    (none)
    Last Seen
    04-04-15 @ 09:11 PM
    Lean
    Communist
    Posts
    6,112
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: What kind of home did you grow up in?

    Quote Originally Posted by The Mark View Post
    Reformed Mennonite

    Damn, apparently there's a wikipedia page....interesting

    Reformed Mennonite - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Oh wow! What are the odds? According to the Wikipedia article there are less than 300 Reformed Mennonites. Would you say that is accurate? If what you are saying is true, you are a rare find.

    vasuderatorrent

  4. #44
    Sporadic insanity normal.


    The Mark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:11 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    19,736

    Re: What kind of home did you grow up in?

    Quote Originally Posted by vasuderatorrent View Post
    Oh wow! What are the odds? According to the Wikipedia article there are less than 300 Reformed Mennonites. Would you say that is accurate? If what you are saying is true, you are a rare find.

    vasuderatorrent
    I myself am not a member. My parents are, of course.

    And that is the exact organization I recall from my slightly younger days.
    Education.

    Sometimes I think we're alone. Sometimes I think we're not. In either case, the thought is staggering. ~ R. Buckminster Fuller

  5. #45
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Theoretical Physics Lab
    Last Seen
    01-06-15 @ 11:06 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    25,120

    Re: What kind of home did you grow up in?

    Quote Originally Posted by Mason66 View Post
    I think youneed to change your avatar when you posts things like this. You are blowing the fantasy that you are Sheldon.
    If I knew the story behind Spock, I would've done that instead. However I'm not a Trekkie...thank God.

  6. #46
    Sage

    Mason66's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:27 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,443

    Re: What kind of home did you grow up in?

    Quote Originally Posted by Gipper View Post
    If I knew the story behind Spock, I would've done that instead. However I'm not a Trekkie...thank God.
    Well we know Sheldon would never talk about **Boobies**

  7. #47
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Theoretical Physics Lab
    Last Seen
    01-06-15 @ 11:06 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    25,120

    Re: What kind of home did you grow up in?

    Quote Originally Posted by Mason66 View Post
    Well we know Sheldon would never talk about **Boobies**
    I'm an alternate universe Sheldon Cooper who would never have an unsatisfied Amy Farrah Fowler.

  8. #48
    Sage

    Mason66's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:27 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,443

    Re: What kind of home did you grow up in?

    Quote Originally Posted by Gipper View Post
    I'm an alternate universe Sheldon Cooper who would never have an unsatisfied Amy Farrah Fowler.
    I don't know about that. I can't get the image of Blossom out of my head, or her fast talking friend.

  9. #49
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Theoretical Physics Lab
    Last Seen
    01-06-15 @ 11:06 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    25,120

    Re: What kind of home did you grow up in?

    Quote Originally Posted by Mason66 View Post
    I don't know about that. I can't get the image of Blossom out of my head, or her fast talking friend.
    Ugh, the friend wasn't all that cute. Blossom was.

  10. #50
    free market communist
    Gardener's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Last Seen
    09-30-17 @ 12:27 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    26,661

    Re: What kind of home did you grow up in?

    Quote Originally Posted by ecofarm View Post
    My parents brought me to a Community Christian church for Sunday school when I was ~6, to give me some exposure to Christianity. ~8 I realized that people were not speaking metaphorically (even the adults) and asked not to return.
    My experience is similar with the notable exception of the word "was" being placed between the "and" and the "asked".
    "you're better off on Stormfront discussing how evil brown men are taking innocent white flowers." Infinite Chaos

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •