View Poll Results: Is requiring voter photo ID a type of disenfranchisement?

Voters
98. You may not vote on this poll
  • YES!

    20 20.41%
  • NO!

    52 53.06%
  • It can be!

    24 24.49%
  • Other. Please explain.

    2 2.04%
Page 16 of 17 FirstFirst ... 614151617 LastLast
Results 151 to 160 of 170

Thread: Is requiring voter photo ID a type of disenfranchisement?

  1. #151
    Guru
    Cyrylek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Boston
    Last Seen
    02-05-17 @ 01:49 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    3,467

    Re: Is requiring voter photo ID a type of disenfranchisement?

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    they won't be able to fly, get passports or buy guns either. If you believe stuff that stupid you probably shouldn't vote or own guns or be on airplanes
    Should people incapable of recognizing sacrasm be on airplanes?

  2. #152
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Chicago Illinois
    Last Seen
    10-14-15 @ 09:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Private
    Posts
    56,981

    Re: Is requiring voter photo ID a type of disenfranchisement?

    Quote Originally Posted by Nynaeve Meara View Post
    Its no different than the many GOP people who claim a home state but don't actually reside there to avoid tax laws. Which is very common in the Midwest. After all if you don't cheat on your residency taxes what is the point of being part of the GOP?
    I couldn't tell.....I'm in Chicago home of the Corruption and that Democratic Outfit that excels oh so very well in Ethics.

  3. #153
    Advisor Nynaeve Meara's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Malkier
    Last Seen
    11-05-13 @ 04:23 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    325

    Re: Is requiring voter photo ID a type of disenfranchisement?

    Quote Originally Posted by MMC View Post
    I couldn't tell.....I'm in Chicago home of the Corruption and that Democratic Outfit that excels oh so very well in Ethics.
    Again, nothing they are doing is unethical other than in your own personal bias mind.

    There is nothing wrong with thinking it is unethical but you'd have to prove it if you want to change anything. I'm not in Chicago so I can't help you with that, but I'm sure if you wanted to do something about it you could.
    "I can't abide women who poke their noses into other people's business."
    “Men are strange. I think it has something to do with the hair on their chins.”

  4. #154
    Sage
    Perotista's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:51 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    17,951
    Blog Entries
    25

    Re: Is requiring voter photo ID a type of disenfranchisement?

    Quote Originally Posted by MMC View Post
    Yeah that was it.....not double voting. Out of residency.....like you said. It was an easy matter to deal with.
    It got blown way out of proportion. I think that was in North Carolina. It was never a case of disenfranchisement.
    This Reform Party member thinks it is high past time that we start electing Americans to congress and the presidency who put America first and their political party further down the line. But for way too long we have been electing Republicans and Democrats who happen to be Americans instead of Americans who happen to be Republicans and Democrats.

  5. #155
    Guru
    WorldWatcher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Last Seen
    12-14-17 @ 07:50 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    3,041

    Re: Is requiring voter photo ID a type of disenfranchisement?

    Quote Originally Posted by Nynaeve Meara View Post
    No it really shouldn't they meet the residency requirements even if you don't think they do. I'm pretty sure you could file complaints with the local magistrate if you were that concerned about their residency qualifications.

    If you are referring to college students.

    Most states have residency requirements that are along the lines of establishing a permanent residence and show in intent to stay in the state.

    However many college students don't meet this because:

    (a) If they live in the dorm, then that is considered transient housing and does not establish a residence. Schools will often require students to check out of the dorm for various breaks including fall, winter, and spring and to totally move out over the summer breaks. After each year they may be reassigned to a different dorm building/room. Those that live off campus are slightly different because they typically enter into an apartment rental agreement.

    (b) They typically retain ID issued by their home state (when attending out of state universities). Someone attending school in Virginia but who retains a Florida drivers license is indicating that their permanent residence is in Florida and not Virginia.

    (c) They typically retain the parents permanent address on all official documents including those filed with the school and for FAFSA.

    (d) They typically file (when attending out of state universities) tax returns based on their home state and not the state they are attending school in.


    For any other individual, they would not be considered transient and therefore would be required to vote absentee where they were truly a resident.

    Now if a college student want's to change their permanent address to a permanent (non-transient) address in the state, change their State ID to that State's ID, and file tax returns in the state - go for it. Otherwise vote absentee at your permanent place of residence.



    >>>>
    Last edited by WorldWatcher; 10-26-13 at 04:21 PM.

  6. #156
    Guru
    Smeagol's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Last Seen
    02-19-17 @ 11:35 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,147

    Re: Is requiring voter photo ID a type of disenfranchisement?

    Quote Originally Posted by Rocketman View Post
    In my state, you show your license or some other ID unless the poll workers know you and then you sign by your name
    In my state, each county's Supervisor of Elections can set the rules. In my county our SOE is a great guy who is fair and liked by people of both parties.

    You can vote with:

    - Your voter ID card his office issues. It does not have a photo, but I wish it did.
    - Your driver's license.
    - Your state ID issued by the DMV.
    - Your passport.
    - Your military ID.
    - Your state employee ID.
    - A major credit/debit card provided its signed.
    - A Senior citizen ID (enrolled in a city operated senior citizen program.)
    - No ID at all, however your ballot will be placed in a "provisional ballot box" until your signature can be matched with the one they have on file.
    - By mail aka absentee voting, provided your signature can be matched with the one they have on file.
    Having opinions all over the map is a good sign of a person capable of autonomous thinking. Felix -2011

  7. #157
    Guru
    WorldWatcher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Last Seen
    12-14-17 @ 07:50 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    3,041

    Re: Is requiring voter photo ID a type of disenfranchisement?

    Quote Originally Posted by WorldWatcher View Post
    For any other individual, they would not be considered transient and therefore would be required to vote absentee where they were truly a resident.
    That should have read...

    "For any other individual, they would be considered transient and therefore would be required to vote absentee where they were truly a resident."


    >>>>

  8. #158
    Outer space potato man

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    51,849

    Re: Is requiring voter photo ID a type of disenfranchisement?

    This serves no purpose but to make it harder for college students to vote.
    He touched her over her bra and underpants, she says, and guided her hand to touch him over his underwear
    Quote Originally Posted by Lutherf View Post
    We’ll say what? Something like “nothing happened” ... Yeah, we might say something like that.

  9. #159
    Angry Former GOP Voter
    Fiddytree's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:51 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    25,703

    Re: Is requiring voter photo ID a type of disenfranchisement?

    Quote Originally Posted by Fisher View Post
    Unless a guardian is something different in Canada, someone with a guardian should not be allowed to vote because they have been deemed legally incompetent or are a minor.
    Uh, why? My brother votes in every election. He has his own mind.
    Michael J Petrilli-"Is School Choice Enough?"-A response to the recent timidity of American conservatives toward education reform. https://nationalaffairs.com/publicat...-choice-enough

  10. #160
    Phonetic Mnemonic ©
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:08 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,432

    Re: Is requiring voter photo ID a type of disenfranchisement?

    Quote Originally Posted by DaveFagan View Post
    I honestly believe that the intent of these laws is to do partisan disenfranchisement. It can be used by Repubs or Dems and is about who is controlling local politics. It would be disproportionately biased against low income voters. The 10 nuns are an excellent example of flawed law. I also worry about corrupted code in the electronic voting process. Let's address that before we disenfranchise.
    Agree and disagree. The way it is being done in many places at the moment, and especially with some of the other peripheral ideas being proposed and passed, I agree that intentional disenfranchisement is the goal.

    However, a simple ID requirement, applied equally and across the board, is not. As long as there are reasonable measures to allow people who have no birth certificates to get an ID, I'm fine with it. With reasonable mitigation measures in place, as well as a five year phase-in period, then there is really no reason that a person cannot obtain an ID.

    I do not accept cost as a barrier, and if you cannot figure out location logistics in 5 years, then the truth is it's really not as important to you as you say.
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

Page 16 of 17 FirstFirst ... 614151617 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •