View Poll Results: Is requiring voter photo ID a type of disenfranchisement?

Voters
98. You may not vote on this poll
  • YES!

    20 20.41%
  • NO!

    52 53.06%
  • It can be!

    24 24.49%
  • Other. Please explain.

    2 2.04%
Page 15 of 17 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 LastLast
Results 141 to 150 of 170

Thread: Is requiring voter photo ID a type of disenfranchisement?

  1. #141
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:43 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,606

    Re: Is requiring voter photo ID a type of disenfranchisement?

    Quote Originally Posted by Cyrylek View Post
    In some cultures, people believe that taking a photograph of your face steals your soul. Representatives of these cultures who happen to be American citizens will be severely disenfranchised.
    they won't be able to fly, get passports or buy guns either. If you believe stuff that stupid you probably shouldn't vote or own guns or be on airplanes



  2. #142
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Last Seen
    02-18-14 @ 08:18 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    5,660

    Re: Is requiring voter photo ID a type of disenfranchisement?

    Quote Originally Posted by Muhammed View Post
    I have no problem with a voter ID requirement under 2 conditions.

    1) They're free of charge.

    2) Warrant checks are outlawed at places that issue the ID cards.

    Here in Ohio the only place where you can obtain an official state ID is at the DMV. And all of the branches of the DMV where they give drivers license examinations are staffed by police officers. If you go to one of these places to get an ID and you have a warrant, even if it is for some small fine you couldn't pay a decade ago, you're not getting any ID. You're getting arrested on the spot and going directly to jail, period. I've seen it happen.

    Attachment 67155612

    I think it is pretty obvious that doing warrant checks when people try to get an ID to vote disenfranchises the poor who are much more likely to be unable to pay a fine.
    As it should, if you are that god damn stupid there should be a penalty

  3. #143
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Chicago Illinois
    Last Seen
    10-14-15 @ 09:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Private
    Posts
    56,981

    Re: Is requiring voter photo ID a type of disenfranchisement?

    Quote Originally Posted by Nynaeve Meara View Post
    No it really shouldn't they meet the residency requirements even if you don't think they do. I'm pretty sure you could file complaints with the local magistrate if you were that concerned about their residency qualifications.
    Well it wasn't so much me.....more like some of the more notable Chicago Alderman who actually live in their district with their people. Guess that's one the Democrats can take up with themselves, huh?

  4. #144
    Guru
    annata's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    beneath the bodi tree
    Last Seen
    02-16-17 @ 12:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    3,163

    Re: Is requiring voter photo ID a type of disenfranchisement?

    I prefer a National ID, instead of state by state drivers liscenses - hardened, and with biometrics (essentially tamper proof)..but that's another thread.

    Yes - require ID but 1. free to the indigent 2. free transporation to get it for those whom need it.

    Voting is a right, not a privledge like driving, so any impediments must be removed if an ID is a requirement of voting
    Oṃ maṇi padme hūṃ

  5. #145
    Guru
    Smeagol's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Last Seen
    02-19-17 @ 11:35 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,147

    Re: Is requiring voter photo ID a type of disenfranchisement?

    Quote Originally Posted by ocean515 View Post
    Well, the billing behind Obamacare is to provide healthcare to all. Since it seems people are opposed to voter ID because of the multitudes who will be disenfranchied due to the effort required to obtain the documents, what about ID required to get Obamacare coverage?

    It's going to be critical for people to get the right kind of care, and that means medical staff must be very precise about the kind of care they provide, and the kind of medications that would be used. The only way to do that is to make sure the ID of the person receiving care is known without any doubt.

    How are these people going to provide proper, and critically important ID, if it's impossible for them to do so for something so simple as voting?
    I see. From what I understand Obamacare does not require those who let their driver's licenses lapse get then reinstated because use public transportation and have no cars, have direct deposit and don't want to spend the additional money or hassle with rounding up extensive documentation in compliance with the Real ID Act as some states try to do in order to vote in 2012. What Obamacare does is require people to have private health insurance. I have health insurance and I don't remember having to show my insurance company an original (no photo copies allowed) copy of my birth certificate issued by the state where I was born, my social security card plus a passport issued by the State Department, a military ID or soon to expire driver's license and if a married female a copy of her marriage license. I don't recall providing any ID to my insurance company. I might have but I don't recall it. Good question.
    Having opinions all over the map is a good sign of a person capable of autonomous thinking. Felix -2011

  6. #146
    Sage
    pbrauer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Oregon
    Last Seen
    11-27-15 @ 03:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    25,394

    Re: Is requiring voter photo ID a type of disenfranchisement?

    "Is requiring voter photo ID a type of disenfranchisement?"

    It most certainly is. There is no reason on earth why a person who has voted all their lives being denied doing their civic duty. The argument of free photo ID's doesn't fly because it take time and money to get to the place where they are issued. Besides it very difficult for invalids and the elderly to travel.

    In my state of Oregon we have vote by mail and all that is required is your signature on the envelope that contains your ballot. Each and every ballot is checked against the signature on the registration.

  7. #147
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Last Seen
    02-18-14 @ 08:18 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    5,660

    Re: Is requiring voter photo ID a type of disenfranchisement?

    Quote Originally Posted by pbrauer View Post
    "Is requiring voter photo ID a type of disenfranchisement?"

    It most certainly is. There is no reason on earth why a person who has voted all their lives being denied doing their civic duty. The argument of free photo ID's doesn't fly because it take time and money to get to the place where they are issued. Besides it very difficult for invalids and the elderly to travel.

    In my state of Oregon we have vote by mail and all that is required is your signature on the envelope that contains your ballot. Each and every ballot is checked against the signature on the registration.
    In my state, you show your license or some other ID unless the poll workers know you and then you sign by your name

  8. #148
    Sage
    clownboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Oregon
    Last Seen
    08-17-16 @ 10:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    26,087

    Re: Is requiring voter photo ID a type of disenfranchisement?

    Quote Originally Posted by pbrauer View Post
    "Is requiring voter photo ID a type of disenfranchisement?"

    It most certainly is. There is no reason on earth why a person who has voted all their lives being denied doing their civic duty. The argument of free photo ID's doesn't fly because it take time and money to get to the place where they are issued. Besides it very difficult for invalids and the elderly to travel.

    In my state of Oregon we have vote by mail and all that is required is your signature on the envelope that contains your ballot. Each and every ballot is checked against the signature on the registration.
    Which, while convenient, is child's play to forge. We've done a bit recently to tighten up registration, but it's still a loosey goosey system.

    And it's your argument against photo IDs that doesn't comport with the reality that people already have them for the multitude of other reasons they need them, including and especially the "invalids and the elderly".

  9. #149
    Sage
    pbrauer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Oregon
    Last Seen
    11-27-15 @ 03:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    25,394

    Re: Is requiring voter photo ID a type of disenfranchisement?

    Quote Originally Posted by clownboy View Post
    Which, while convenient, is child's play to forge. We've done a bit recently to tighten up registration, but it's still a loosey goosey system.

    And it's your argument against photo IDs that doesn't comport with the reality that people already have them for the multitude of other reasons they need them, including and especially the "invalids and the elderly".
    They may be easy to forge, but I assure you paying the $10K fine and possible jail time if caught is not quite as easy.

  10. #150
    Advisor Nynaeve Meara's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Malkier
    Last Seen
    11-05-13 @ 04:23 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    325

    Re: Is requiring voter photo ID a type of disenfranchisement?

    Quote Originally Posted by MMC View Post
    Well it wasn't so much me.....more like some of the more notable Chicago Alderman who actually live in their district with their people. Guess that's one the Democrats can take up with themselves, huh?
    Its no different than the many GOP people who claim a home state but don't actually reside there to avoid tax laws. Which is very common in the Midwest. After all if you don't cheat on your residency taxes what is the point of being part of the GOP?
    "I can't abide women who poke their noses into other people's business."
    “Men are strange. I think it has something to do with the hair on their chins.”

Page 15 of 17 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •