View Poll Results: Should the Big Bankers and Walll Street execs get jail time?

Voters
56. You may not vote on this poll
  • YES!

    36 64.29%
  • NO!

    8 14.29%
  • Too complicated to determine!

    2 3.57%
  • Other! Please explain.

    10 17.86%
Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 70 of 110

Thread: Should the Big Bankers and Wall Street execs get jail time?

  1. #61
    Sage
    Gaius46's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    New York
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:19 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    8,479

    Re: Should the Big Bankers and Wall Street execs get jail time?

    Quote Originally Posted by haymarket View Post
    It says a great deal about our justice system when some teen who holds up a convenience store goes to prison while somebody who deprives thousands of people of the pensions that they worked thirty to forty years for walks away free as a bird.
    One is a crime of violence (if by "stickup" you mean "with a weapon") and one isn't.

    No one is saying someone like Madoff should walk away free - get it right will you. What people are saying is that prison is probably not the appropriate punishment for people like him who have not committed crimes of violence.
    Don't be a grammar nazi - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations, Book 1 #7

  2. #62
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:41 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    89,832

    Re: Should the Big Bankers and Wall Street execs get jail time?

    Quote Originally Posted by Gaius46 View Post
    Liquidation of all his assets then garnishment like any other debtor with a judgment against them. With, of course, appropriate auditing to insure he isn't stashing money.

    Granted he'll probably never be able to pay it all back but the defrauded get zilch if he's in jail.
    They can still sue for the same in court.

    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/0...n_1495916.html

    and have done so and his fat ass is in prison where it belongs. Its NOT a choice between one and the other.
    __________________________________________________ _
    There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.... John Rogers

  3. #63
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:41 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    89,832

    Re: Should the Big Bankers and Wall Street execs get jail time?

    Quote Originally Posted by Gaius46 View Post
    One is a crime of violence (if by "stickup" you mean "with a weapon") and one isn't.

    No one is saying someone like Madoff should walk away free - get it right will you. What people are saying is that prison is probably not the appropriate punishment for people like him who have not committed crimes of violence.
    So theft with a computer or manipulation is not theft? Gimee a freakin break. Where do you get this standard from anyway that only crimes of violence deserve prison? Are you making that up?
    __________________________________________________ _
    There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.... John Rogers

  4. #64
    Sage
    rabbitcaebannog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Last Seen
    12-09-17 @ 08:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    10,918

    Re: Should the Big Bankers and Wall Street execs get jail time?

    Quote Originally Posted by haymarket View Post
    So theft with a computer or manipulation is not theft? Gimee a freakin break. Where do you get this standard from anyway that only crimes of violence deserve prison? Are you making that up?
    Agree. People have gone to jail longer for foodstamp abuse then some of these execs that let Enron implode.

  5. #65
    Sage
    Gaius46's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    New York
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:19 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    8,479

    Re: Should the Big Bankers and Wall Street execs get jail time?

    Quote Originally Posted by haymarket View Post
    They can still sue for the same in court.

    Bernard Madoff's Family Hit With $255.3 Million Lawsuit

    and have done so and his fat ass is in prison where it belongs. Its NOT a choice between one and the other.
    And again no one collects a dime while he's in jail - outside of what his assets bring, assuming the Feds didn't confiscate them that is (historically only about 10% of assets the Feds take from a criminal find their way back to the victims.
    Don't be a grammar nazi - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations, Book 1 #7

  6. #66
    Sage
    Gaius46's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    New York
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:19 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    8,479

    Re: Should the Big Bankers and Wall Street execs get jail time?

    Quote Originally Posted by haymarket View Post
    So theft with a computer or manipulation is not theft? Gimee a freakin break. Where do you get this standard from anyway that only crimes of violence deserve prison? Are you making that up?
    It is theft and that's not the point. Guys who commit crimes with guns represent a danger to society that guns who commit crimes with computers simply do not. If there's only room for one at the inn I want the violent felon in jail not the white collar guy.
    Don't be a grammar nazi - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations, Book 1 #7

  7. #67
    Sage
    Gaius46's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    New York
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:19 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    8,479

    Re: Should the Big Bankers and Wall Street execs get jail time?

    Quote Originally Posted by rabbitcaebannog View Post
    Agree. People have gone to jail longer for foodstamp abuse then some of these execs that let Enron implode.
    I don't think either really belong in jail. Fines and repayment should be sufficient
    Don't be a grammar nazi - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations, Book 1 #7

  8. #68
    Sage
    rabbitcaebannog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Last Seen
    12-09-17 @ 08:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    10,918

    Re: Should the Big Bankers and Wall Street execs get jail time?

    Quote Originally Posted by Gaius46 View Post
    I don't think either really belong in jail. Fines and repayment should be sufficient
    Well, the laws are written against the common man not the powerful.

  9. #69
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:41 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    89,832

    Re: Should the Big Bankers and Wall Street execs get jail time?

    Quote Originally Posted by Gaius46 View Post
    And again no one collects a dime while he's in jail - outside of what his assets bring, assuming the Feds didn't confiscate them that is (historically only about 10% of assets the Feds take from a criminal find their way back to the victims.
    And pray tell us why the assets would be any different now with the lawsuit already filed than in your dream scenario in libertarian land?
    __________________________________________________ _
    There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.... John Rogers

  10. #70
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:41 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    89,832

    Re: Should the Big Bankers and Wall Street execs get jail time?

    Quote Originally Posted by Gaius46 View Post
    It is theft and that's not the point. Guys who commit crimes with guns represent a danger to society that guns who commit crimes with computers simply do not. If there's only room for one at the inn I want the violent felon in jail not the white collar guy.
    That is one of the most outright absurd things I have ever heard. Somebody steals your past and your future monies and that is not a danger to society!?!?!?!?!?!?!? Amazing!!!!!!!
    __________________________________________________ _
    There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.... John Rogers

Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •