View Poll Results: Should the Big Bankers and Walll Street execs get jail time?

Voters
56. You may not vote on this poll
  • YES!

    36 64.29%
  • NO!

    8 14.29%
  • Too complicated to determine!

    2 3.57%
  • Other! Please explain.

    10 17.86%
Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011
Results 101 to 110 of 110

Thread: Should the Big Bankers and Wall Street execs get jail time?

  1. #101
    Sage
    Gaius46's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    New York
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:17 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    8,497

    Re: Should the Big Bankers and Wall Street execs get jail time?

    Quote Originally Posted by haymarket View Post
    You obviously have a double standard.... one for small time crooks with big time punishment and another for big time crooks with a hand slap.
    Yes I do have a double standard but you've gotten what it us incorrect.

    Guys who show a willingness to do violence belong locked up. Guys who don't may not belong locked up.

    I've already stated that I don't think welfare cheats, for example, belong in prison. And if Madoff committed a crime of violence I'd be all for locking him away for a long time.

    I honestly don't give a damn who someone is or how much money someone has when it comes to their treatment under the law.
    Last edited by Gaius46; 10-27-13 at 02:36 PM.
    Don't be a grammar nazi - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations, Book 1 #7

  2. #102
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:20 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    90,092

    Re: Should the Big Bankers and Wall Street execs get jail time?

    Quote Originally Posted by Gaius46 View Post
    Yes I do have a double standard but you've gotten what it us incorrect.

    Guys who show a willingness to do violence belong locked up. Guys who don't may not belong locked up.

    I've already stated that I don't think welfare cheats, for example, belong in prison. And if Madoff committed a crime of violence I'd be all for locking him away for a long time.

    I honestly don't give a damn who someone is or how much money someone has when it comes to their treatment under the law.
    What about the amount of money that the criminal was responsible for? this is from the Madoff wikipedia entry

    The amount missing from client accounts, including fabricated gains, was almost $65 billion.[19] The court-appointed trustee estimated actual losses to investors of $18 billion.
    I would agree with you Gaius that all people do not belong in prison and violent offenders certainly belong locked up to protect society. But the level of the crime and the cost of the people of our nation has to be considered. Yes - somebody who shoplifts $100 worth of stuff is most likely NOT a good candidate for prison. But a guy like Madoff whose wake of damage is in the billions - yes - he belongs in jail until he dies.
    __________________________________________________ _
    There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.... John Rogers

  3. #103
    Iconoclast
    DaveFagan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    wny
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:17 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    7,311

    Re: Should the Big Bankers and Wall Street execs get jail time?

    Quote Originally Posted by TOJ View Post
    So now you are talking about fish. Did you discover, you're pretty sure, that some fish somewhere broke some law.

    I see you are not able to come up with specific laws, with supporting evidence, that Mr. Dimon broke.

    All you can do is throw out childish insults. I guess no one should be surprised with your history on DP.

    .
    The $13 billion fine guarantees laws were broken. The only reason it is a civil suit is because if the charges were brought as felonies and found guilty the Corporate Charter would be forfeited. Crash and there go the jobs of even those "out of the criminal loop." If you suggest that the illustrious Mr. Dimon has been out of the loop regarding these crimes, then I've got a bridge to sell you in Brooklyn. I personally don't give a crap if JPMorgan crashes and I don't want their money. They generated money by shuffling paper instead of creating labor and I am offended by that. Not very patriotic. Corporate centric and loyal to the strong currency, don't you think?

  4. #104
    Guru

    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 06:27 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,469

    Re: Should the Big Bankers and Wall Street execs get jail time?

    Quote Originally Posted by DaveFagan View Post
    The $13 billion fine guarantees laws were broken. The only reason it is a civil suit is because if the charges were brought as felonies and found guilty the Corporate Charter would be forfeited. Crash and there go the jobs of even those "out of the criminal loop." If you suggest that the illustrious Mr. Dimon has been out of the loop regarding these crimes, then I've got a bridge to sell you in Brooklyn. I personally don't give a crap if JPMorgan crashes and I don't want their money. They generated money by shuffling paper instead of creating labor and I am offended by that. Not very patriotic. Corporate centric and loyal to the strong currency, don't you think?
    So laws were broken. What's your point?

    You have not shown any evidence that Mr. Dimon is legally liable for any laws that were broken.

    By your standard, Obama should be held criminally liable when someone in the executive branch breaks the law while he is President.

    .

  5. #105
    Sage
    Gaius46's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    New York
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:17 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    8,497

    Re: Should the Big Bankers and Wall Street execs get jail time?

    Quote Originally Posted by haymarket View Post
    What about the amount of money that the criminal was responsible for? this is from the Madoff wikipedia entry



    I would agree with you Gaius that all people do not belong in prison and violent offenders certainly belong locked up to protect society. But the level of the crime and the cost of the people of our nation has to be considered. Yes - somebody who shoplifts $100 worth of stuff is most likely NOT a good candidate for prison. But a guy like Madoff whose wake of damage is in the billions - yes - he belongs in jail until he dies.

    At least we have agreement on more run of the mill non-violent offenders. I understand and respect your view but I keep thinking that a man like Madoff, who has some obvious legitimate talents, should spend his days working to repay the people he cheated.
    Don't be a grammar nazi - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations, Book 1 #7

  6. #106
    Sage
    Sherman123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Northeast US
    Last Seen
    11-23-17 @ 11:12 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    7,774

    Re: Should the Big Bankers and Wall Street execs get jail time?

    Quote Originally Posted by Gaius46 View Post
    One is a crime of violence (if by "stickup" you mean "with a weapon") and one isn't.

    No one is saying someone like Madoff should walk away free - get it right will you. What people are saying is that prison is probably not the appropriate punishment for people like him who have not committed crimes of violence.
    I'm an enormously strong supporter for prison and criminal justice reform but even I think Madoff should be in prison. The reason you imprison people like him is not just for the emotional satisfaction of victims (a principle that I am skeptical of), you do it because it is necessary to establish a deterrent effect. These cases on these magnitudes are so rare that it is important for the government to be able to outline the consequences with great harshness.

  7. #107
    Iconoclast
    DaveFagan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    wny
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:17 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    7,311

    Re: Should the Big Bankers and Wall Street execs get jail time?

    Quote Originally Posted by Sherman123 View Post
    I'm an enormously strong supporter for prison and criminal justice reform but even I think Madoff should be in prison. The reason you imprison people like him is not just for the emotional satisfaction of victims (a principle that I am skeptical of), you do it because it is necessary to establish a deterrent effect. These cases on these magnitudes are so rare that it is important for the government to be able to outline the consequences with great harshness.
    And that is what is needed in this banking fiasco. If there is no deterrent, you repeat the crime and make profit again.

  8. #108
    Sage
    Fenton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    26,325

    Re: Should the Big Bankers and Wall Street execs get jail time?

    Quote Originally Posted by DaveFagan View Post
    I'm truthfully stunned that there is not
    more interest regarding this topic. These are the executives responsible for the 2008 crash. Regulators are just now settling some of these cases. If you fine these people less than they steal, that is a tacit OK to steal some more, because it will be profitable. Steal a billion, minus a 100 million dollar fine and no prosecution or jail time and you will make a 900 million dollar profit. Keerissst, that's just good business because it turns a profit. Is there astigmatism in this picture or are our regulators living on another planet.
    I'm truthfully stunned that so many bought into the "too big to fail", evil bankers fasle narrative.

    Millions of ignorant Americans woefully inept and manipulated by the true criminals.

    Unbelievable.

    Looks like they've got you snowed too.

    Jail the Bankers.....LOL !!

  9. #109
    Iconoclast
    DaveFagan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    wny
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:17 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    7,311

    Re: Should the Big Bankers and Wall Street execs get jail time?

    Quote Originally Posted by Fenton View Post
    I'm truthfully stunned that so many bought into the "too big to fail", evil bankers fasle narrative.

    Millions of ignorant Americans woefully inept and manipulated by the true criminals.

    Unbelievable.

    Looks like they've got you snowed too.

    Jail the Bankers.....LOL !!
    Wrong again, but you are consistent. Read the links.

  10. #110
    Sage
    Fenton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    26,325

    Re: Should the Big Bankers and Wall Street execs get jail time?

    Quote Originally Posted by DaveFagan View Post
    Wrong again, but you are consistent. Read the links.
    I've read that drek before.

    It's ridiculous. 6 executives of Fannie and Freddie were charged with Securities fraud in 2011, their Clinton ex-CEO was charged with misreporting Billions in profits.

    They were taken into Conservatorship with a combined debt of over 5 Trillion in loans amd securities and YOUR rartling on about bankers ??

    Nonsense.

    Let me guess, you think the movie " Too Big to Fail" was a documentary.

Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •