View Poll Results: What's worse: using the race card or dismissing legitimate racism?

Voters
26. You may not vote on this poll
  • Society should mention race other than the human race because its proably a use of the race card.

    2 7.69%
  • If racism exists in 2013, expose it in order to correct it seeking to make society better.

    19 73.08%
  • Sorry, I don't have a dog in that fight. No position either way.

    5 19.23%
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 92

Thread: What's worse: using the race card or dismissing legitimate racism?

  1. #21
    Sage



    Join Date
    May 2013
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:13 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    12,317

    Re: What's worse: using the race card or dismissing legitimate racism?

    I am conflicted. I have seen the race card being played on these boards a bit too much. I have also seen the harm it does bringing racism into a conversation where it has no bearing.

    On the other hand I have seen actual racist comments and yes they do get called off as "playing the race card". But I am not sure if it is because of overuse of the race card.

    I have a question for the OP. How do you see the multiyear long obsession with Obama's birth certificate? Did you see any racism in that?

    Sometimes things are about perception of a situation.

  2. #22
    Guru
    Smeagol's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Last Seen
    02-19-17 @ 11:35 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,147

    Re: What's worse: using the race card or dismissing legitimate racism?

    Quote Originally Posted by American View Post
    Sure, words mean things, and how things are said are important. The real answer is that neither is good the way he puts it, but he wants a choice to be made. Watch the poll.
    You're actually are right. Which is the lesser of the two evils; the imposition of a political correctness taboo that causes people to be reluctant to mention any observances of racism because of the irresponsible actions of some or a climate where its okay to discuss racial injustice so it can be dealt with knowing some make false claims? Some may disagree with me but I'm of the opinion that we cannot have a strong "race card" climate where people are hesitant to speak on race issues without inadvertently discouraging discussion of real and legitimate problems that should be addressed. Likewise, I believe the reality is we cannot have climate where race relations are openly discussed without occasionally seeing false claims of racism when nothing could be further from the truth. If these are our two options, which of the two do we want? I'm somewhat surprised asking this would trigger a hostile response. No offense or "bait and switch" was intended. I truly apologize.
    Last edited by Smeagol; 10-23-13 at 11:44 AM.
    Having opinions all over the map is a good sign of a person capable of autonomous thinking. Felix -2011

  3. #23
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:21 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    90,080

    Re: What's worse: using the race card or dismissing legitimate racism?

    When people use the phrase RACE CARD - where did this race card come from and why does it have power attached to its usage?
    __________________________________________________ _
    There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.... John Rogers

  4. #24
    Tavern Bartender
    Constitutionalist
    American's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    12-15-17 @ 10:49 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    76,323

    Re: What's worse: using the race card or dismissing legitimate racism?

    Quote Originally Posted by haymarket View Post
    When people use the phrase RACE CARD - where did this race card come from and why does it have power attached to its usage?
    e.g., Sharpton, Jackson
    "He who does not think himself worth saving from poverty and ignorance by his own efforts, will hardly be thought worth the efforts of anybody else." -- Frederick Douglass, Self-Made Men (1872)
    "Fly-over" country voted, and The Donald is now POTUS.

  5. #25
    Sage
    Hatuey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:54 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    42,089

    Re: What's worse: using the race card or dismissing legitimate racism?

    Folks who scream out "race card" want to dismiss a situation where race has been a factor before and people have every reason to view it as racism. Why wouldn't black people see a police beat down/shooting of a black man as a case of racism? It's not as if the police have never been used as a government tool to enforce racist policies. Why wouldn't black people see the killing of a black teenager as a case of racism? Specially if the white perpetrator is declared innocent? It wouldn't be the first or last time in the nations history. People who complain about the so called "race card" want everyone to have a memory as short as them. The problem is that racism is still extremely fresh in the country's history.

    The 1960s didn't wipe away Jim Crow or even so much as affect the generational perception of race which is passed down as a form of folklore. So you have two factions - one of folks who view any incident where a member of their race is victimized as racism, and one of folks who only view the most extreme situations as racism. That sets up a situation where neither side budges as to what is and isn't racism. For example: It's well established that race quotas in universities are in and of themselves racist. Furthermore, for some, it then transforms into whether or not any minority who has reached an university is a product of AA and whether or not any white has been denied their place in university or vise-verse. Neither of these attitudes are productive to a conversation about race because one is founded on a once accurate perception of race relations and the other is based on a personal perception of race relations.
    I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality. - MLK

  6. #26
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Last Seen
    10-24-13 @ 02:52 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    913

    Re: What's worse: using the race card or dismissing legitimate racism?

    Quote Originally Posted by Smeagol View Post
    Institutional racism is an assumption that any black person who achieves something in life probably got it through racial preferences unless unlike his white counterparts has figured out how to do his job 1000 times better than anybody else leaving no question in anybody's mind he's not just good, he's the best ever. Institutional racism is assuming anybody who looks Hispanic should be suspected of illegal immigration and unlike other Americans should give himself an extra 30 minutes travel time in case he's spotted and interrogated to make sure he's legit and maybe carry his birth certificate and a utility bill along with his driver's license at all times.
    Are those examples of racism or just two things that happen to revolve around specific races?

    There is a big difference and the reality is being able to check off "African American" is a major advantage in applying to colleges, getting a civil servant job, etc. and the overwhelming majority of illegal immigrants are Hispanic. It seems to me someone making that sort of claim is doing so less because of race and more because of actual behavior. Contrary to what many people seem to believe today, "racism" doesn't mean saying something negative about a protected demographic.
    Last edited by Dapper Andy; 10-23-13 at 12:41 PM.

  7. #27
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Zyphlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    NoMoAuchie
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    48,005

    Re: What's worse: using the race card or dismissing legitimate racism?

    Quote Originally Posted by Hatuey View Post
    So you have two factions - one of folks who view any incident where a member of their race is victimized as racism, and one of folks who only view the most extreme situations as racism. That sets up a situation where neither side budges as to what is and isn't racism.
    Agree, and I think both extremes definitely perpetuate the other.

    By delcaring every incident as factually racism, you make it harder and harder for people to acknowledge the degree in which things have improved and to judge things based on an accurate perception of race relations today rather than the past. On the flip side, by constantly throwing out accusations of using the "race card", you provide potential cover for legitimate instances which causes animosity and distrust with regards to race relations.

    The problem is people in this country, and just in generla, typically aren't big fans of nuance. Bold statements, declarations of certainty, and answers to the questions within our reality are things people want. As such, looking at a situation and attempting to both recognize the potential of the existance/abscense of racist motivations while fairly recognizing other motivations in play and seeking further definite information and supporting facts before making a judgement call is not the norm.

    Every black person in College is not there because of AA and every black person arrested by a police officer isn't being targetted because of their skin, and people on both extremes would likely acknowledge that. But when individual instances get brought up, that's essentially the mindset behind the arguments those extreme ends typically jump to immedietely. And neither are doing race relations much help.

  8. #28
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:21 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    90,080

    Re: What's worse: using the race card or dismissing legitimate racism?

    Quote Originally Posted by American View Post
    e.g., Sharpton, Jackson
    They invented the RACE CARD?
    __________________________________________________ _
    There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.... John Rogers

  9. #29
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Last Seen
    10-24-13 @ 02:52 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    913

    Re: What's worse: using the race card or dismissing legitimate racism?

    Quote Originally Posted by Hatuey View Post
    So you have two factions - one of folks who view any incident where a member of their race is victimized as racism, and one of folks who only view the most extreme situations as racism. That sets up a situation where neither side budges as to what is and isn't racism.
    I disagree.

    The left just uses racism as a cheap political weapon. I think most everyone would oppose legitimate racism if they saw it but what gets passed around as racism today is disagreeing with a black President of the United States. You can't watch 5 minutes of CNN without seeing Robert Redford blame the shutdown on Republican anger over a black man in the oval office who isn't taking drink orders. Never mind that neither party's views on healthcare and the size of government have changed drastically over the past few decades and a shut down happened the last time Democrats controlled the White House and pushed through similar policies only with a white POTUS.

    This is what "racism" is today.

  10. #30
    Sage
    Hatuey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:54 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    42,089

    Re: What's worse: using the race card or dismissing legitimate racism?

    Quote Originally Posted by Dapper Andy View Post
    I think most everyone would oppose legitimate racism if they saw it
    Who determines what is and isn't "legitimate" racism? You? Is that like "legitimate" and "illegitimate" rape?
    Last edited by Hatuey; 10-23-13 at 01:30 PM.
    I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality. - MLK

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •