View Poll Results: What should happen for the over 20mph violation example given?

Voters
68. You may not vote on this poll
  • Acknowledge the no-traffic and quality of vehicle in consideration.

    6 8.82%
  • Severe chastizing but only written warning.

    4 5.88%
  • A ticket, but written for under 20 over due to circumstance.

    2 2.94%
  • Write a ticket for over 20 mph but under 100 mph

    3 4.41%
  • Write a ticket forthe full 170 mph

    22 32.35%
  • A huge $$ fine

    15 22.06%
  • Permanently seize car and forfeture it.

    3 4.41%
  • Jail time

    3 4.41%
  • Suspend driver's license for 1 year

    7 10.29%
  • Suspend driver's license for years.

    3 4.41%
Page 5 of 44 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 438

Thread: What should be penalty for 20mph+ over limit speeding?

  1. #41
    Student Hiram's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Arkansas
    Last Seen
    12-13-13 @ 07:13 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    209

    Re: What should be penalty for 20mph+ over limit speeding?

    Now your gonna ask me,,"Is it not true" lol been there,,done that a hundred times in court,,,,did it really just happen?

  2. #42
    Student Hiram's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Arkansas
    Last Seen
    12-13-13 @ 07:13 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    209

    Re: What should be penalty for 20mph+ over limit speeding?

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    no, its stupid claim you made, I have been an attorney going on 30 years.

    the penalties are far different for reckless discharge of a firearm compared to recklessly shooting some one. driving drunk gets you 3 days in jail and a driving suspension-killing someone because you drove drunk gets you jail time
    I know;(3) “Recklessly.”

    (A) A person acts recklessly with respect to attendant circumstances or a result of his or her conduct when the person consciously disregards a substantial and unjustifiable risk that the attendant circumstances exist or the result will occur.

  3. #43
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:41 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,634

    Re: What should be penalty for 20mph+ over limit speeding?

    Quote Originally Posted by Hiram View Post
    Iffffffff Your an Attorney,,,why ask? Circumstances always prevail.
    "Your an attorney" Huh?

    the fact is, the amount of harm one does goes a long way in determining sentence even if the "intent" was the same.



  4. #44
    Guru
    Smeagol's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Last Seen
    02-19-17 @ 11:35 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,147

    Re: What should be penalty for 20mph+ over limit speeding?

    Quote Originally Posted by joko104 View Post
    A highway patrol car on a good condition 4 lane divided highway with a 70 mph speed limit, no other cars on the highway in a remote area picks up a sole car doing 170 mph heading his way on the other side empty and flat open area 2 lanes. A new Corette ZR 1 designed to go 200 mph. When the officer pulls across the center medium, the ZR1 driver (no passenger) pulls over anticipating being stopped.

    What should the officer do and what should the penalty be?

    Multiple choice, public vote.
    One thing that I think is unequal protection under that law is monetary fines that do not take into account the income and assets of then penalized. A $100 fine for speeding when the guy makes $25,000 a year is way more of a severe penalty that someone making $500,000 a year or someone who doesn't need to work because he has a million dollar investment portfolio. In my humble opinion fines need to be indexed to income and assets and not one size fits all.
    Having opinions all over the map is a good sign of a person capable of autonomous thinking. Felix -2011

  5. #45
    Student Hiram's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Arkansas
    Last Seen
    12-13-13 @ 07:13 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    209

    Re: What should be penalty for 20mph+ over limit speeding?

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    "Your an attorney" Huh?

    the fact is, the amount of harm one does goes a long way in determining sentence even if the "intent" was the same.
    Again,,Culpability! No,,,,,I am no Attorney,,are you?

  6. #46
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Charleston, South Carolina
    Last Seen
    12-02-16 @ 01:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    28,659

    Re: What should be penalty for 20mph+ over limit speeding?

    I frankly don't really believe in speed limits as a general concept. The Germans, for instance, get by mostly without them.

    There's really no damn reason whatsoever why I shouldn't be able to drive 100 mph on a wide open well paved road in the middle of nowhere if I feel like I can handle it.

  7. #47
    Sit Nomine Digna
    Carjosse's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Montreal, QC, Canada
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    11,190

    Re: What should be penalty for 20mph+ over limit speeding?

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    no, its stupid claim you made, I have been an attorney going on 30 years.

    the penalties are far different for reckless discharge of a firearm compared to recklessly shooting some one. driving drunk gets you 3 days in jail and a driving suspension-killing someone because you drove drunk gets you jail time
    What does killing someone with drunk driving get you usually in the U.S. and just drunk driving in general?
    Last edited by Carjosse; 10-20-13 at 02:14 AM.

  8. #48
    Student Hiram's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Arkansas
    Last Seen
    12-13-13 @ 07:13 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    209

    Re: What should be penalty for 20mph+ over limit speeding?

    Quote Originally Posted by Smeagol View Post
    One thing that I think is unequal protection under that law is monetary fines that do not take into account the income and assets of then penalized. A $100 fine for speeding when the guy makes $25,000 a year is way more of a severe penalty that someone making $500,000 a year or someone who doesn't need to work because he has a million dollar investment portfolio. In my humble opinion fines need to be indexed to income and assets and not one size fits all.
    The Judge may do just that in a Criminal trial,,I have seen it happen. District,,,,or Traffic Court is more Generic on fines. There is usually not any discovery on speeding tickets or traffic fines unless a Criminal charge is levied,,,,,,then the judge might ask,,,,,or the Counselor files for discovery etc.

  9. #49
    Sit Nomine Digna
    Carjosse's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Montreal, QC, Canada
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    11,190

    Re: What should be penalty for 20mph+ over limit speeding?

    Quote Originally Posted by Gathomas88 View Post
    I frankly don't really believe in speed limits as a general concept. The Germans, for instance, get by mostly without them.

    There's really no damn reason whatsoever why I shouldn't be able to drive 100 mph on a wide open road in the middle of nowhere if I feel like I can handle it.
    The Belgians and Germans have it figured out, we need higher speed limits or none at all.

  10. #50
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:41 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,634

    Re: What should be penalty for 20mph+ over limit speeding?

    Quote Originally Posted by Hiram View Post
    Again,,Culpability! No,,,,,I am no Attorney,,are you?
    uh yeah, I realize you haven't been around for more than a few days but obviously. and the penalties are very different for different outcomes even if the mens rea is the same.



Page 5 of 44 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •