Acknowledge the no-traffic and quality of vehicle in consideration.
Severe chastizing but only written warning.
A ticket, but written for under 20 over due to circumstance.
Write a ticket for over 20 mph but under 100 mph
Write a ticket forthe full 170 mph
A huge $$ fine
Permanently seize car and forfeture it.
Suspend driver's license for 1 year
Suspend driver's license for years.
I love the smell of face-palm in the morning!
"You ain't no Muslim bruv!"
I am for more reasonable speed limits (yes, I mean higher) but if people wanna go 170 MPH on public roads......NO. Let them pay for track space.
You're proposing anarchy where everyone does whatever they want. There's nothing limiting that principle to driving laws though. Theft, rape and murder all become fair game if the person doing them thinks they're OK. That'd be a mess.
A very poorly written poll:
(1) Posing 20mph over the limit in the question for an actual infraction of 70mph over the limit grossly understates the seriousness of the infraction. The penalty for driving 70mph over the limit should be much greater than the penalty for driving 20mph over.
(2) Poll respondents should have been able to select more than one penalty.
Driving 70 mph over the limit should be a felony. Convicted violators should:
(1) Spend at least a year in jail.
(2) Have all their motor vehicles permanently confiscated.
(3) Never be allowed to drive again.
(4) Pay a big fine. The idea of of tailoring the fine to the violator's income sounds good to me-- make it at least a year's worth.
There have been some high profile cases - one in particular involved an older lady who claimed she was just trying to pass a truck - she actually got off too.
I'm not really all that concerned about people losing the cars and licenses for a period of time - with people like this, their cars are very important to them and teaches them a lesson that a loss of money doesn't seem to do. I don't drink, except on rare occasions - I have an older car, although I do drive fast and hate slow drivers - but I just putter around the neighborhood now so it doesn't affect me much.
A Canadian conservative is one who believes in limited government and that the government should stay out of our wallets and out of our bedrooms.
Sometimes I think we're alone. Sometimes I think we're not. In either case, the thought is staggering. ~ R. Buckminster Fuller