View Poll Results: What should happen for the over 20mph violation example given?

Voters
68. You may not vote on this poll
  • Acknowledge the no-traffic and quality of vehicle in consideration.

    6 8.82%
  • Severe chastizing but only written warning.

    4 5.88%
  • A ticket, but written for under 20 over due to circumstance.

    2 2.94%
  • Write a ticket for over 20 mph but under 100 mph

    3 4.41%
  • Write a ticket forthe full 170 mph

    22 32.35%
  • A huge $$ fine

    15 22.06%
  • Permanently seize car and forfeture it.

    3 4.41%
  • Jail time

    3 4.41%
  • Suspend driver's license for 1 year

    7 10.29%
  • Suspend driver's license for years.

    3 4.41%
Page 14 of 44 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast
Results 131 to 140 of 438

Thread: What should be penalty for 20mph+ over limit speeding?

  1. #131
    On Vacation
    joko104's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Last Seen
    12-03-17 @ 03:32 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    31,568
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: What should be penalty for 20mph+ over limit speeding?

    Quote Originally Posted by HonestJoe View Post
    I think you missed my core point. You're saying it's OK for anyone to break the law if they think it's not dangerous to anyone else.
    No, you are missing my point by declaring all of reality and all of laws are only about absolute black and white issues.

    I've often stated that "law" is NOT my god, everyone is a criminal many, many thousands of times over but just wasn't caught, and I look at "law" pragmatically in terms of benefits versus risks in terms of compliance.

  2. #132
    On Vacation
    joko104's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Last Seen
    12-03-17 @ 03:32 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    31,568
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: What should be penalty for 20mph+ over limit speeding?

    Quote Originally Posted by Summerwind View Post
    Nope, left lane is for 75 or above, imo. I just think the only controlled place is a track, and if he can afford that car, he can afford to lease a track for an hour or two. It's not that expensive, and if you have really cool car, sometimes free.
    No, he can't. That is a myth.

  3. #133
    On Vacation
    joko104's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Last Seen
    12-03-17 @ 03:32 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    31,568
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: What should be penalty for 20mph+ over limit speeding?

    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Chuckles View Post
    well, the obvious point is that rock climbing doesn't put other people in danger. Driving at 170 does, even if you assume the road is empty (which you have no basis for)
    Sure it does. There is no way the person can assure s/he won't fall on someone - under your theory that no one can see if a flat open highway has other vehicles on it.

  4. #134
    King Conspiratard
    Dr. Chuckles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Last Seen
    02-13-14 @ 03:04 PM
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    12,895

    Re: What should be penalty for 20mph+ over limit speeding?

    Quote Originally Posted by joko104 View Post
    Literally over 100,000 Americans have died in motorcycle road accidents. Many times more than that seriously and permanent injured.

    Shouldn't it be criminal to drive a motorcycle on roads?
    false equivalency. No one is talking about banner a car, but putting limitations on how it is operated

  5. #135
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Last Seen
    02-18-14 @ 08:18 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    5,660

    Re: What should be penalty for 20mph+ over limit speeding?

    Quote Originally Posted by Summerwind View Post
    Nope, left lane is for 75 or above, imo. I just think the only controlled place is a track, and if he can afford that car, he can afford to lease a track for an hour or two. It's not that expensive, and if you have really cool car, sometimes free.
    assuming there is one close by, I see no issue with using a limited access rd to have a little fun, it is much less dangerous than fooling with the damn smart phone while driving

  6. #136
    On Vacation
    joko104's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Last Seen
    12-03-17 @ 03:32 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    31,568
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: What should be penalty for 20mph+ over limit speeding?

    Quote Originally Posted by Rocketman View Post
    I bet the same people that voted for giving a guy the full ticket are the same ones that drive in the left lane on an interstate doing the speed limit.
    Or below it.

    Along the same lines, this AM I had to follow a car on a VERY curvy road (enough for no passing zones) marked 45 mph - that car doing 25-30 the whole time for over 15 miles on a road with no alternative routes (through the shell islands). BUT when we FINALLY came to a flat open section that was marked a passing zone, the car literally sped up to 55 - and then slowed back to 25. I was driving a pokey old little Ford Ranger than didn't have the power to accelerate and pass in that short distance, plus doing so would have put me 10 over.

    There are people that stubbornly get in the right lane going 65 on and Interstate staying exactly along a semi also doing 65 seemingly to try to make a point.

    Most annoying is that car that gets and stays just off your left rear fender so you can't change lanes - and will stay right there whether you speed up or slow down. There are some people afraid to pass another car so they just stay off your left blind spot.

  7. #137
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Last Seen
    02-18-14 @ 08:18 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    5,660

    Re: What should be penalty for 20mph+ over limit speeding?

    Quote Originally Posted by joko104 View Post
    Literally over 100,000 Americans have died in motorcycle road accidents. Many times more than that seriously and permanent injured.

    Shouldn't it be criminal to drive a motorcycle on roads?
    hell no, I have one of those, thinking about riding it here in a few minutes

  8. #138
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Last Seen
    02-18-14 @ 08:18 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    5,660

    Re: What should be penalty for 20mph+ over limit speeding?

    Quote Originally Posted by joko104 View Post
    Or below it.

    Along the same lines, this AM I had to follow a car on a VERY curvy road (enough for no passing zones) marked 45 mph - that car doing 25-30 the whole time for over 15 miles on a road with no alternative routes (through the shell islands). BUT when we FINALLY came to a flat open section that was marked a passing zone, the car literally sped up to 55 - and then slowed back to 25. I was driving a pokey old little Ford Ranger than didn't have the power to accelerate and pass in that short distance, plus doing so would have put me 10 over.

    There are people that stubbornly get in the right lane going 65 on and Interstate staying exactly along a semi also doing 65 seemingly to try to make a point.

    Most annoying is that car that gets and stays just off your left rear fender so you can't change lanes - and will stay right there whether you speed up or slow down. There are some people afraid to pass another car so they just stay off your left blind spot.
    I make those guys that want to stay on your rear fender let me out. They want to play games we can pull in a rest stop and discuss it

  9. #139
    On Vacation
    joko104's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Last Seen
    12-03-17 @ 03:32 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    31,568
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: What should be penalty for 20mph+ over limit speeding?

    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Chuckles View Post
    false equivalency. No one is talking about banner a car, but putting limitations on how it is operated
    Same principle of self endangerment and endangering others. When a motorcycle hits a vehicle it also endangers not only the motorcycle passenger but the other car.

    Other than someone running from the police, can anyone point to ANY ultra high speed accident that hurt others? I can point to hundreds of thousands of non-high speed accidents that did.

    Generally, when a person is driving ubber fast, they also are being ubber attentive. Most accidents happen for lack of attentiveness. I am more likely to let my mind and eyes wander when poking down the highway than when blasting down it. And high speed cars are built now for high speed. Many ordinary vehicles are particularly safe at 70 mph. I've seen more than 1 SUV roll over merely due to a blow out. 2+2 tires and run flat tires wouldn't cause that.

  10. #140
    On Vacation
    joko104's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Last Seen
    12-03-17 @ 03:32 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    31,568
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: What should be penalty for 20mph+ over limit speeding?

    Quote Originally Posted by Rocketman View Post
    I make those guys that want to stay on your rear fender let me out. They want to play games we can pull in a rest stop and discuss it
    This was years ago, but when in Chicago if I had to get somewhere fast, I deliberately took a banged, up, rusted out, bad exhaust huge old Lincoln towncar. Looked and sounded like hell, obvious in dozens of accidents. Everyone would get out of my way and let me in. Clearly a car with no insurance and not a car you want around you. It worked.

Page 14 of 44 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •