View Poll Results: What is the best solution for managing the national debt?

Voters
33. You may not vote on this poll
  • Ignore it. It isn't a problem

    3 9.09%
  • Ignore it. It will eventually go away.

    0 0%
  • Reorganize a repayment under bankruptcy

    0 0%
  • Abolish the federal reserve and print money to repay debts.

    2 6.06%
  • Drastically reduce government spending

    25 75.76%
  • Drastically raise taxes

    3 9.09%
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 64

Thread: What is the best solution for managing the national debt?

  1. #41
    Sage
    Perotista's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:57 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    17,962
    Blog Entries
    25

    Re: What is the best solution for managing the national debt?

    Quote Originally Posted by vasuderatorrent View Post
    What are the best options for solving the national debt problem if we ever see our self in a disaster scenario?

    Bankruptcy? hyperinflation? less government spending? higher taxes? Something more creative that nobody has thought of?

    I'm sure somebody has a good idea. Let's pretend doomsday is here. What do we do? Print money like a mad man? File for bankruptcy? Stop social security checks? Fire 75% of all federal employees? Go door to door collect taxes?

    What ever shall we do? Oh my!

    vasuderatorrent
    It would be a combination of raising taxes and reducing spending along with freezing the budget at current spending until it is balanced. If in FY 2012 we spent 3.7 trillion, then that is all that could be spent until the budget is balanced along with congress having the ability to move money around from agencies to other agencies and departments if needed.
    This Reform Party member thinks it is high past time that we start electing Americans to congress and the presidency who put America first and their political party further down the line. But for way too long we have been electing Republicans and Democrats who happen to be Americans instead of Americans who happen to be Republicans and Democrats.

  2. #42
    Sage
    polgara's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    NE Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:21 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    18,356

    Re: What is the best solution for managing the national debt?

    Quote Originally Posted by Perotista View Post
    It would be a combination of raising taxes and reducing spending along with freezing the budget at current spending until it is balanced. If in FY 2012 we spent 3.7 trillion, then that is all that could be spent until the budget is balanced along with congress having the ability to move money around from agencies to other agencies and departments if needed.
    If an imaginary doomsday had arrived, as suggested above, there are going to be millions of people who are not now receiving government help that will find themselves in dire need of that help just to survive. 1) Where is that money going to come from if jobs are gone 2) what other countries would be willing to bail us out at that time 3) I think a balanced budget would be no problem, ie---nothing in, nothing out. 4) if we start printing money like crazy, how much would it take to buy a loaf of bread. Those are just few questions that came to mind...

  3. #43
    Sage
    Perotista's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:57 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    17,962
    Blog Entries
    25

    Re: What is the best solution for managing the national debt?

    Quote Originally Posted by polgara View Post
    If an imaginary doomsday had arrived, as suggested above, there are going to be millions of people who are not now receiving government help that will find themselves in dire need of that help just to survive. 1) Where is that money going to come from if jobs are gone 2) what other countries would be willing to bail us out at that time 3) I think a balanced budget would be no problem, ie---nothing in, nothing out. 4) if we start printing money like crazy, how much would it take to buy a loaf of bread. Those are just few questions that came to mind...
    No other country has the money to bail us out. You would be taking you monthly social security check down to the grocery store and come home with a dozen eggs and a loaf of bread and wait until next month's check.
    This Reform Party member thinks it is high past time that we start electing Americans to congress and the presidency who put America first and their political party further down the line. But for way too long we have been electing Republicans and Democrats who happen to be Americans instead of Americans who happen to be Republicans and Democrats.

  4. #44
    Sage
    polgara's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    NE Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:21 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    18,356

    Re: What is the best solution for managing the national debt?

    Quote Originally Posted by Perotista View Post
    No other country has the money to bail us out. You would be taking you monthly social security check down to the grocery store and come home with a dozen eggs and a loaf of bread and wait until next month's check.
    Growing your own garden seems to be fashionable again, so maybe that's in store for those who could have never imagined themselves doing it before? Perhaps...

  5. #45
    Sage
    Perotista's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:57 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    17,962
    Blog Entries
    25

    Re: What is the best solution for managing the national debt?

    Quote Originally Posted by polgara View Post
    Growing your own garden seems to be fashionable again, so maybe that's in store for those who could have never imagined themselves doing it before? Perhaps...
    Live in the country, be well armed with plenty of ammo, have your garden and know how to make salt meat or smoke meat to preserve it. Know how to hunt and fish and be well armed. There will be mobs coming after your garden. Lean how to can and stock up on mason jars and pressure cookers. get a wood stove and furnace and be well armed. Did I mention be well armed and have plenty of ammo.
    This Reform Party member thinks it is high past time that we start electing Americans to congress and the presidency who put America first and their political party further down the line. But for way too long we have been electing Republicans and Democrats who happen to be Americans instead of Americans who happen to be Republicans and Democrats.

  6. #46
    Sage
    polgara's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    NE Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:21 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    18,356

    Re: What is the best solution for managing the national debt?

    Quote Originally Posted by Perotista View Post
    Live in the country, be well armed with plenty of ammo, have your garden and know how to make salt meat or smoke meat to preserve it. Know how to hunt and fish and be well armed. There will be mobs coming after your garden. Lean how to can and stock up on mason jars and pressure cookers. get a wood stove and furnace and be well armed. Did I mention be well armed and have plenty of ammo.
    You did mention it in passing... And I whole-heartedly agree with the rest of what you said also!

  7. #47
    Sage
    Perotista's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:57 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    17,962
    Blog Entries
    25

    Re: What is the best solution for managing the national debt?

    Quote Originally Posted by polgara View Post
    You did mention it in passing... And I whole-heartedly agree with the rest of what you said also!
    That or vacate the county and go to one that doesn't have the dollar as their reserve currency. Thailand does, but Laos next door doesn't. Thailand first and then Laos is my plan. Almost all Lao can understand Thai, so language is no barrier and while I was in Laos I picked up some Lao there and my son in law is from laos, so we already speak a mixture of English, Thai and Lao in our home all the time.
    This Reform Party member thinks it is high past time that we start electing Americans to congress and the presidency who put America first and their political party further down the line. But for way too long we have been electing Republicans and Democrats who happen to be Americans instead of Americans who happen to be Republicans and Democrats.

  8. #48
    Sage
    polgara's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    NE Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:21 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    18,356

    Re: What is the best solution for managing the national debt?

    Quote Originally Posted by Perotista View Post
    That or vacate the county and go to one that doesn't have the dollar as their reserve currency. Thailand does, but Laos next door doesn't. Thailand first and then Laos is my plan. Almost all Lao can understand Thai, so language is no barrier and while I was in Laos I picked up some Lao there and my son in law is from laos, so we already speak a mixture of English, Thai and Lao in our home all the time.
    I don't know where I'd go. My people are from Europe, so it sure wouldn't be any better there...probably worse!

  9. #49
    Sage
    Perotista's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:57 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    17,962
    Blog Entries
    25

    Re: What is the best solution for managing the national debt?

    Quote Originally Posted by polgara View Post
    I don't know where I'd go. My people are from Europe, so it sure wouldn't be any better there...probably worse!
    I don't know, I was only stationed in Germany once and that was from 1980-83. It will probably depend on how reliant the people are on government. those who are more self-reliant will be better off than those not.
    This Reform Party member thinks it is high past time that we start electing Americans to congress and the presidency who put America first and their political party further down the line. But for way too long we have been electing Republicans and Democrats who happen to be Americans instead of Americans who happen to be Republicans and Democrats.

  10. #50
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    (none)
    Last Seen
    04-04-15 @ 09:11 PM
    Lean
    Communist
    Posts
    6,112
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: What is the best solution for managing the national debt?

    Quote Originally Posted by Perotista View Post
    It would be a combination of raising taxes and reducing spending along with freezing the budget at current spending until it is balanced. If in FY 2012 we spent 3.7 trillion, then that is all that could be spent until the budget is balanced along with congress having the ability to move money around from agencies to other agencies and departments if needed.
    Bankruptcy could encourage those actions. Some local governments have filed for bankruptcy and nobody died as a result of it.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •