View Poll Results: If there was a national vote on equal rights for gays what would you do?

Voters
175. You may not vote on this poll
  • Vote Yes - granting equal rights and the right to legal marriage

    133 76.00%
  • Vote No - denying equal rights and banning them from getting legal marriage

    24 13.71%
  • No vote - you simply dont vote at all

    18 10.29%
Page 56 of 60 FirstFirst ... 6465455565758 ... LastLast
Results 551 to 560 of 592

Thread: If there was a National Vote on Equal rights for gays, what would you do [W:72,96,331

  1. #551
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:40 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    29,014

    Re: If there was a National Vote on Equal rights for gays, what would you do. [W:72]

    Quote Originally Posted by CRUE CAB View Post
    Marriage is not a right. So your poll is skewed.
    The SCOTUS has declared marriage is a right several times in the past.

    14 Supreme Court Cases: Marriage is a Fundamental Right | American Foundation for Equal Rights

    But along with that, equal protection of the laws is a right so as long as marriage in some form exists, then the right to enter into a marriage with the person of your choosing, which the government cannot show a legitimate state interest is served in restricting, also exists.
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

  2. #552
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Melbourne Florida
    Last Seen
    04-18-17 @ 03:15 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    16,763

    Re: If there was a National Vote on Equal rights for gays, what would you do. [W:72]

    Quote Originally Posted by Jesse Booth View Post
    Interesting opinion. Care to explain your reasoning for that statement?
    Find it in the constitution.

  3. #553
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:40 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    29,014

    Re: If there was a National Vote on Equal rights for gays, what would you do. [W:72]

    Quote Originally Posted by CRUE CAB View Post
    Find it in the constitution.
    14th Amendment, Equal Protection Clause, 5th Amendment, Due Process Clause

    The SCOTUS has ruled on this many times.

    14 Supreme Court Cases: Marriage is a Fundamental Right | American Foundation for Equal Rights

    "Meyer v. Nebraska, 262 U.S. 390, 399 (1923): The right “to marry, establish a home and bring up children” is a central part of liberty protected by the Due Process Clause."

    Oh and let us not forget the 9th Amendment which specifically states that states that rights do not have to be specifically stated in the Constitution to be retained by the people.
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

  4. #554
    Lean Mean Meme Machine
    Jesse Booth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    https://www.debatepolitics.com
    Last Seen
    12-14-17 @ 10:27 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    7,761

    Re: If there was a National Vote on Equal rights for gays, what would you do. [W:72]

    Quote Originally Posted by CRUE CAB View Post
    Find it in the constitution.
    I'm looking for how you drew your conclusion. What do you think constitutes a right? And if not a right, what do you define marriage as?

    I'm not agreeing or disagreeing with you. Yet, at least. I'm not even sure what side of this issue you're on. I just think this is an interesting perspective on the debate I haven't heard yet, and am glad that at least one person isn't beating a dead horse on this thread.
    Quote Originally Posted by truthatallcost View Post
    Pepe Booth strikes again.

  5. #555
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Melbourne Florida
    Last Seen
    04-18-17 @ 03:15 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    16,763

    Re: If there was a National Vote on Equal rights for gays, what would you do. [W:72]

    Quote Originally Posted by Jesse Booth View Post
    I'm looking for how you drew your conclusion. What do you think constitutes a right? And if not a right, what do you define marriage as?

    I'm not agreeing or disagreeing with you. Yet, at least. I'm not even sure what side of this issue you're on. I just think this is an interesting perspective on the debate I haven't heard yet, and am glad that at least one person isn't beating a dead horse on this thread.
    I was pretty clear before, marriage is a one man and one woman. Period.

  6. #556
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Melbourne Florida
    Last Seen
    04-18-17 @ 03:15 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    16,763

    Re: If there was a National Vote on Equal rights for gays, what would you do. [W:72]

    Quote Originally Posted by roguenuke View Post
    14th Amendment, Equal Protection Clause, 5th Amendment, Due Process Clause

    The SCOTUS has ruled on this many times.

    14 Supreme Court Cases: Marriage is a Fundamental Right | American Foundation for Equal Rights

    "Meyer v. Nebraska, 262 U.S. 390, 399 (1923): The right “to marry, establish a home and bring up children” is a central part of liberty protected by the Due Process Clause."

    Oh and let us not forget the 9th Amendment which specifically states that states that rights do not have to be specifically stated in the Constitution to be retained by the people.
    Where does it say same sex marriage specifically?

  7. #557
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:40 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    29,014

    Re: If there was a National Vote on Equal rights for gays, what would you do. [W:72]

    Quote Originally Posted by CRUE CAB View Post
    Where does it say same sex marriage specifically?
    Where does it say interracial marriages specifically? Where does it say inmates can get married specifically?

    Oh, did you miss that last one, the 9th Amendment, which specifically states that rights do not have to be specifically mentioned in the Constitution to be considered rights?
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

  8. #558
    Lean Mean Meme Machine
    Jesse Booth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    https://www.debatepolitics.com
    Last Seen
    12-14-17 @ 10:27 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    7,761

    Re: If there was a National Vote on Equal rights for gays, what would you do. [W:72]

    Quote Originally Posted by CRUE CAB View Post
    I was pretty clear before, marriage is a one man and one woman. Period.
    Sorry, didn't want to backlog through 554 posts. What a lot of people on the forum have been pointing out recently is that one of the major perks to marriage is that it simplifies possible complications to inheritance and childcare in the case of a parent's death. What's your response that argument?
    Quote Originally Posted by truthatallcost View Post
    Pepe Booth strikes again.

  9. #559
    I'm kind of a big deal

    AGENT J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,822

    Re: If there was a National Vote on Equal rights for gays, what would you do. [W:72]

    Quote Originally Posted by CRUE CAB View Post
    Marriage is not a right. So your poll is skewed.
    your statement is factually wrong.
    sorry marriage is a right, this fact will not change


    but you are right the poll is skewed, thats why i said "fantasy" because there should NEVER be a vote on rights like these. Thats is exactly why the fed is stepping in and fixing it because the state had no right to do what it did and overstepped its power.
    This space is currently owned by The Great Winchester, stay tuned for future messages!
    Make America Great Again!
    Pro-Equal Rights / Pro-Gun Rights / Pro-Human Rights / Pro-Choice

  10. #560
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Melbourne Florida
    Last Seen
    04-18-17 @ 03:15 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    16,763

    Re: If there was a National Vote on Equal rights for gays, what would you do. [W:72]

    Quote Originally Posted by Jesse Booth View Post
    Sorry, didn't want to backlog through 554 posts. What a lot of people on the forum have been pointing out recently is that one of the major perks to marriage is that it simplifies possible complications to inheritance and childcare in the case of a parent's death. What's your response that argument?
    You still don't understand, it was written for man woman marriages.
    Gays can do legal things like trusts and wills just like anyone. That should be good enough.

Page 56 of 60 FirstFirst ... 6465455565758 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •