View Poll Results: If there was a national vote on equal rights for gays what would you do?

Voters
175. You may not vote on this poll
  • Vote Yes - granting equal rights and the right to legal marriage

    133 76.00%
  • Vote No - denying equal rights and banning them from getting legal marriage

    24 13.71%
  • No vote - you simply dont vote at all

    18 10.29%
Page 17 of 60 FirstFirst ... 7151617181927 ... LastLast
Results 161 to 170 of 592

Thread: If there was a National Vote on Equal rights for gays, what would you do [W:72,96,331

  1. #161
    Sage
    chromium's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    A2
    Last Seen
    06-05-17 @ 10:53 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    16,968

    Re: If there was a National Vote on Equal rights for gays, what would you do. [W:72,

    Quote Originally Posted by Perotista View Post
    Must be living in the 50's here or earlier. Can you name me one state that would vote to re-institute interracial marriages? As Agent J just pointed out probably the only state that might come close to doing that is Mississippi and it would fail there. Good luck on trying to interracial marriages brought back.
    I'm saying hypothetically. Your argument revolved around states' rights to define marriage, so would you support states being able to ban interracial marriage?

  2. #162
    Sage
    Guy Incognito's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Last Seen
    12-02-17 @ 07:43 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    11,216

    Re: If there was a National Vote on Equal rights for gays, what would you do. [W:72]

    Quote Originally Posted by chromium View Post
    You don't have to respect them but it depends on your goal. If you go around calling them all bigots, it's not likely to win them over. Of course, you might not care to convince them of anything since gay rights is pretty inevitable at this point and some are just not at all open to convincing.
    Well, you are right. Trying to convince an opponent of gay rights to come around is like trying to convince a klansman that minorities deserve civil rights. It's pointless. The only thing opponents of gay rights deserve is vituperation.

  3. #163
    Sage
    Perotista's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    17,937
    Blog Entries
    25

    Re: If there was a National Vote on Equal rights for gays, what would you do. [W:72,

    Quote Originally Posted by chromium View Post
    I'm saying hypothetically. Your argument revolved around states' rights to define marriage, so would you support states being able to ban interracial marriage?
    I wouldn't care, it use to marriage was just a church thing and church sanctioned. Perhaps we should go back to that. But with the advent of the income tax and other benefits, marriage has become a big thing for benefits. Heck it wasn't until the civil war and a little after that some states actually started to keep track of who was married. They relied on church records. It wasn't until around 1916 the Kentucky, the last state in the union at that time started to keep track of who was married.

    So maybe we should all go back to church based weddings and marriage. Regardless how the federal government, state, the church or who ever sees it, I am with the one I love and that is all that matters. The paper is a government thing for benefits and tax exemptions etc. etc. I can make a will whether married or not and leave what I have to whomever, no piece of paper outside that will is needed.

    As I stated before, I see no problem with it and it really isn't a hot issue of mine or my families. I would stay home because of my beliefs that the federal government doesn't have the power to say who can or who can't be married. I don't think the states should either. I think love should. But if the vote came up in Georgia, I would vote for it only because the marriage license is issued by the state. That is another sore point with me, I do not think one should have to obtain a license to get married.
    This Reform Party member thinks it is high past time that we start electing Americans to congress and the presidency who put America first and their political party further down the line. But for way too long we have been electing Republicans and Democrats who happen to be Americans instead of Americans who happen to be Republicans and Democrats.

  4. #164
    Sage
    chromium's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    A2
    Last Seen
    06-05-17 @ 10:53 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    16,968

    Re: If there was a National Vote on Equal rights for gays, what would you do. [W:72,

    Quote Originally Posted by Perotista View Post
    I wouldn't care, it use to marriage was just a church thing and church sanctioned. Perhaps we should go back to that. But with the advent of the income tax and other benefits, marriage has become a big thing for benefits. Heck it wasn't until the civil war and a little after that some states actually started to keep track of who was married. They relied on church records. It wasn't until around 1916 the Kentucky, the last state in the union at that time started to keep track of who was married.

    So maybe we should all go back to church based weddings and marriage. Regardless how the federal government, state, the church or who ever sees it, I am with the one I love and that is all that matters. The paper is a government thing for benefits and tax exemptions etc. etc. I can make a will whether married or not and leave what I have to whomever, no piece of paper outside that will is needed.

    As I stated before, I see no problem with it and it really isn't a hot issue of mine or my families. I would stay home because of my beliefs that the federal government doesn't have the power to say who can or who can't be married. I don't think the states should either. I think love should. But if the vote came up in Georgia, I would vote for it only because the marriage license is issued by the state. That is another sore point with me, I do not think one should have to obtain a license to get married.
    We live in a more complex world than 1916. Ending government involvement in marriage would mean millions of spouses lose access to modern health care and thousands more would be deported, since they were foreigners. There's also adoption issues. It's a valid argument though that in principle you shouldn't need a "license" to marry.

  5. #165
    I'm kind of a big deal

    AGENT J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:38 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,798

    Re: If there was a National Vote on Equal rights for gays, what would you do. [W:72,

    Quote Originally Posted by Perotista View Post
    I wouldn't care, it use to marriage was just a church thing and church sanctioned. Perhaps we should go back to that. But with the advent of the income tax and other benefits, marriage has become a big thing for benefits. Heck it wasn't until the civil war and a little after that some states actually started to keep track of who was married. They relied on church records. It wasn't until around 1916 the Kentucky, the last state in the union at that time started to keep track of who was married.

    So maybe we should all go back to church based weddings and marriage. Regardless how the federal government, state, the church or who ever sees it, I am with the one I love and that is all that matters. The paper is a government thing for benefits and tax exemptions etc. etc. I can make a will whether married or not and leave what I have to whomever, no piece of paper outside that will is needed.

    As I stated before, I see no problem with it and it really isn't a hot issue of mine or my families. I would stay home because of my beliefs that the federal government doesn't have the power to say who can or who can't be married. I don't think the states should either. I think love should. But if the vote came up in Georgia, I would vote for it only because the marriage license is issued by the state. That is another sore point with me, I do not think one should have to obtain a license to get married.
    that would be a horrible idea
    the legal protections, rights and benefits granted by the marriage contract cant be duplicated. many can with many other contracts but none do the same thing nor are they legaly as binding,

    no thanks i want government protecting my contract, spouse, kids and family

    a will alone cant even come close to doing that
    not to mentions churches have nothing to do with legal marriage or the protections needed for family.
    This space is currently owned by The Great Winchester, stay tuned for future messages!
    Make America Great Again!
    Pro-Equal Rights / Pro-Gun Rights / Pro-Human Rights / Pro-Choice

  6. #166
    I'm kind of a big deal

    AGENT J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:38 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,798

    Re: If there was a National Vote on Equal rights for gays, what would you do. [W:72,

    on a side note we now have 14 states the grant equal rights to gays!

    http://www.debatepolitics.com/breaki...es-monday.html

    WOOOWHOOOO!
    This space is currently owned by The Great Winchester, stay tuned for future messages!
    Make America Great Again!
    Pro-Equal Rights / Pro-Gun Rights / Pro-Human Rights / Pro-Choice

  7. #167
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Republic of Florida
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:18 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    14,026

    Re: If there was a National Vote on Equal rights for gays, what would you do. [W:72]

    Quote Originally Posted by AGENT J View Post
    i have, i stated the facts you seem to want to hold on and keep denying that, the issues is yours
    Then why are you still posting?

  8. #168
    I'm kind of a big deal

    AGENT J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:38 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,798

    Re: If there was a National Vote on Equal rights for gays, what would you do. [W:72]

    Quote Originally Posted by jonny5 View Post
    Then why are you still posting?
    im replying to you and you not moving on and denying facts, thats obvious
    This space is currently owned by The Great Winchester, stay tuned for future messages!
    Make America Great Again!
    Pro-Equal Rights / Pro-Gun Rights / Pro-Human Rights / Pro-Choice

  9. #169
    Relentless Thinking Fury
    ChezC3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Chicago
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:42 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    9,128

    Re: If there was a National Vote on Equal rights for gays, what would you do. [W:72]

    Quote Originally Posted by X Factor View Post
    I'd be more confident this was the case if there weren't already recently decided cases saying that florists and cake shops cannot refuse to serve same sex weddings, even on religious beliefs. Apparently their first amendment rights doen't really mean much. What guarantee is there that the same line of reasoning will not be applied to churches?

    Guess even just asking that makes me a conspiricy nut huh?
    If the government is forcing religious institutions to provide HC benefits for abortions and contraceptives against their religious beliefs what do you think the government will do as it regards providing spousal benefits for homosexuals? Or even hiring homosexuals for that matter?

    Is it your turn to buy the tin foil, or mine?

  10. #170
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Republic of Florida
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:18 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    14,026

    Re: If there was a National Vote on Equal rights for gays, what would you do. [W:72]

    Quote Originally Posted by AGENT J View Post
    im replying to you and you not moving on and denying facts, thats obvious
    So then you haven't moved on like you claimed. So move on.

Page 17 of 60 FirstFirst ... 7151617181927 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •