View Poll Results: What does disability mean and who should get it?

Voters
36. You may not vote on this poll
  • It means unmanagable pain and those people should get it

    9 25.00%
  • It means one might get a chance to retire early and play

    2 5.56%
  • It is another way to fleece taxpayers and no one should get it

    2 5.56%
  • who cares, it is unmanagable

    0 0%
  • who cares, it is insignificant expenditure for the US

    1 2.78%
  • It should be completely overhauled, re-written, and inspected for cheaters

    26 72.22%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 50 of 58 FirstFirst ... 404849505152 ... LastLast
Results 491 to 500 of 580

Thread: What does disability mean to you and who qualifies?

  1. #491
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    07-16-14 @ 01:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    47,571

    Re: What does disability mean to you and who qualifies?

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    I just thought about coming back to this one. The arrest would have been accounted for in SSA's internal monitoring statistics. Had she been arrested and found guilty of disability fraud, she would have been part of that 1% statistic, which in fact merely backs up what I am saying.
    It is just beyond naive if you believe only 1% of the population is "faking it." I should say 1% of the disability collecting population.

  2. #492
    Sewer Rat
    Risky Thicket's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:31 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    23,803

    Re: What does disability mean to you and who qualifies?

    Quote Originally Posted by Neomalthusian View Post
    You know a heck of a lot about Rush Limbaugh. I'm not sure he's worth knowing that much about.
    LOL! Indeed. I use him as an example in that he is a well known person who is beyond wealthy yet without government disability related programs, he could not with all his money, have purchased the technology that enabled him to continue to bloviate across public airwaves. The technology would not have existed and/or would have been in its infancy. What's more, the medical expertise required would have been damn near inexistent.










    "When Faith preaches Hate, Blessed are the Doubters." - Amin Maalouf

    When trouble arises and things look bad, there is always one individual who perceives a solution and is willing to take command. Very often, that person is crazy. ~Dave Barry



  3. #493
    Sewer Rat
    Risky Thicket's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:31 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    23,803

    Re: What does disability mean to you and who qualifies?

    Quote Originally Posted by Neomalthusian View Post
    I'm guessing that you would find my way of clamping down to be fairly sweeping, i.e., we would disagree on who all to include in the "legit" category. Entire conditions or even classes of conditions would no longer qualify.
    Can you give us examples?










    "When Faith preaches Hate, Blessed are the Doubters." - Amin Maalouf

    When trouble arises and things look bad, there is always one individual who perceives a solution and is willing to take command. Very often, that person is crazy. ~Dave Barry



  4. #494
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Gina's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:37 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    31,923

    Re: What does disability mean to you and who qualifies?

    Quote Originally Posted by JC Callender View Post
    I'm not going to deny you have empathy, but I don't understand how pointing at one person with money and demanding they give it to someone else is proof of it. You see a person suffering and feel like something should be done, well so do I. The difference is that I believe we should be able to help on our own free will, not against it. Your talking about squalid conditions that occurred at times over 100 years ago when society in general lived a much less comfortable and safe life with nowhere near the technology we have now and comparing it to today. Do you believe all of our advancements in helping the disabled are due solely to government subsidies and entitlements? Doesn't it strike you as odd that Washington is usually considered to be corrupt, incompetent, and greedy with poor approval ratings (Congress at least) and your assigning our advancements in compassion and empathy to them?
    1. People pay, via taxes, for all kinds of things they would choose not to, had they they opportunity. I've demonstrated this over several posts. Maybe I'd prefer not to give Archer Daniels Midland hundreds of billions in farm subsidies. A multi-billion dollar corporation doesn't need my tax dollars. I'd much rather my hard earned money go to people who NEED help to live a better life.

    2. Even in this day, institutional abuse and neglect occur. The elderly are victimized at rest homes. Juveniles abuse and take advantage of each other in juvenile halls. It would be no different in an orphanage. The squalor may not be there, but the victimization would.

    3. Washington is considered all that more by some than others, but government financed research yields advances private enterprise would deem too risky to begin to invest in. The research private enterprise sees profit in, it pursues. The rest of the risk is taken on by the government to finance.
    I don't attack my constituents. Bob is my constituent now.
    This is the important stuff. We canít get lost in discrimination. We canít get lost in B.S. We canít get lost tearing each other down. I want to make a point here that no matter what you look like, where you come from, how you worship, who you love, how you identify, and yeah, how you run, that if you have good public policy ideas, if you are well qualified for office, bring those ideas to the table, because this is your America, too. This is our commonwealth of Virginia, too.
    Danica Roem - The nation's first openly transgender person elected to serve in a U.S. state legislature.

  5. #495
    Sage
    JC Callender's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Metro Detroit
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 05:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    5,632

    Re: What does disability mean to you and who qualifies?

    Quote Originally Posted by Gina View Post
    1. People pay, via taxes, for all kinds of things they would choose not to, had they they opportunity. I've demonstrated this over several posts. Maybe I'd prefer not to give Archer Daniels Midland hundreds of billions in farm subsidies. A multi-billion dollar corporation doesn't need my tax dollars. I'd much rather my hard earned money go to people who NEED help to live a better life.

    2. Even in this day, institutional abuse and neglect occur. The elderly are victimized at rest homes. Juveniles abuse and take advantage of each other in juvenile halls. It would be no different in an orphanage. The squalor may not be there, but the victimization would.

    3. Washington is considered all that more by some than others, but government financed research yields advances private enterprise would deem too risky to begin to invest in. The research private enterprise sees profit in, it pursues. The rest of the risk is taken on by the government to finance.
    I wouldn't want A.D.M. getting those subsidies either. And to your second point, I agree that institutional abuse occurs, but there are already laws against it. And your third point, there are hugely successful charities that do wonderful things as well. Look at the Susan G. Komen Foundation, they've had the White House lit up in pink and NFL players are wearing pink! They're everywhere raising massive amounts of money. If there are charities raising massive amounts of money, there will follow entrepreneurs interested in earning some of that money.

  6. #496
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Gina's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:37 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    31,923

    Re: What does disability mean to you and who qualifies?

    Quote Originally Posted by JC Callender View Post
    I wouldn't want A.D.M. getting those subsidies either. And to your second point, I agree that institutional abuse occurs, but there are already laws against it. And your third point, there are hugely successful charities that do wonderful things as well. Look at the Susan G. Komen Foundation, they've had the White House lit up in pink and NFL players are wearing pink! They're everywhere raising massive amounts of money. If there are charities raising massive amounts of money, there will follow entrepreneurs interested in earning some of that money.
    Yet, you and I have to tolerate corporate welfare. You can't be, "but I don't understand how pointing at one person with money and demanding they give it to someone else is proof of it" about welfare when the same one person's money is also being given to wealthy corporations, who really don't need it. Multi-billion dollar corporations have their own resources to depend on while you would have the disabled begging for charity because they don't.

    Yes, there are laws against it, but throwing millions off of welfare or disability and into institutions that would have to be opened, after the fact because nothing like it exists on the scale necessary at this point in time, and then only maybe because charity is not going to fall out of the heavens to instantaneously build them, is nothing short of cruelty. Once open, the sheer number of people and the tenuous nature of consistent funding, would place those in such places at constant risk of being tossed out on the street. With so many more to deal with, the numbers of those abused and neglected would be immense. I still cannot condone reopening and institutionalizing people who are living lives as normal as they can be right now.

    Susan G. Komen Foundation is not all it's cracked up to be: Insight: Komen charity under microscope for funding, science | Reuters
    I don't attack my constituents. Bob is my constituent now.
    This is the important stuff. We canít get lost in discrimination. We canít get lost in B.S. We canít get lost tearing each other down. I want to make a point here that no matter what you look like, where you come from, how you worship, who you love, how you identify, and yeah, how you run, that if you have good public policy ideas, if you are well qualified for office, bring those ideas to the table, because this is your America, too. This is our commonwealth of Virginia, too.
    Danica Roem - The nation's first openly transgender person elected to serve in a U.S. state legislature.

  7. #497
    Angry Former GOP Voter
    Fiddytree's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:48 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    25,693

    Re: What does disability mean to you and who qualifies?

    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisL View Post
    It is just beyond naive if you believe only 1% of the population is "faking it." I should say 1% of the disability collecting population.
    Unless we can prove that: 1) SSA cooked the books 2) The GAO were either: fooled or complicit in the inaccurate reporting; such anecdotal evidence (at worst) adds weight to the long-established statistics.
    Michael J Petrilli-"Is School Choice Enough?"-A response to the recent timidity of American conservatives toward education reform. https://nationalaffairs.com/publicat...-choice-enough

  8. #498
    Sage

    Join Date
    May 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:01 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    8,180

    Re: What does disability mean to you and who qualifies?

    Quote Originally Posted by Risky Thicket View Post
    Can you give us examples?
    Anxiety disorders, depressive disorders, substance addiction disorders, personality disorders, and somatoform disorders are some examples of conditions that shouldn't qualify.

  9. #499
    Sage
    JC Callender's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Metro Detroit
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 05:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    5,632

    Re: What does disability mean to you and who qualifies?

    Quote Originally Posted by Gina View Post
    Yet, you and I have to tolerate corporate welfare. You can't be, "but I don't understand how pointing at one person with money and demanding they give it to someone else is proof of it" about welfare when the same one person's money is also being given to wealthy corporations, who really don't need it. Multi-billion dollar corporations have their own resources to depend on while you would have the disabled begging for charity because they don't.

    Yes, there are laws against it, but throwing millions off of welfare or disability and into institutions that would have to be opened, after the fact because nothing like it exists on the scale necessary at this point in time, and then only maybe because charity is not going to fall out of the heavens to instantaneously build them, is nothing short of cruelty. Once open, the sheer number of people and the tenuous nature of consistent funding, would place those in such places at constant risk of being tossed out on the street. With so many more to deal with, the numbers of those abused and neglected would be immense. I still cannot condone reopening and institutionalizing people who are living lives as normal as they can be right now.

    Susan G. Komen Foundation is not all it's cracked up to be: Insight: Komen charity under microscope for funding, science | Reuters
    I understand we have to tolerate corporate welfare, but I'm against it just as I'm against regular welfare. And I wouldn't end these programs today (well, maybe corporate welfare), I would scale them down over maybe 5 years. Wouldn't you be at least a little excited at the thought of how you could help the disabled yourself with your own money that you would be getting back since the government wouldn't be using it anymore? I'm sure you, like most people, are more efficient with your own money than the government is, and the look on someones face as you personally hand them a check, or the thought of walking into an organization that you had a personal hand in building and/or maintaining would be a pretty satisfying feeling.

  10. #500
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Gina's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:37 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    31,923

    Re: What does disability mean to you and who qualifies?

    Quote Originally Posted by JC Callender View Post
    I understand we have to tolerate corporate welfare, but I'm against it just as I'm against regular welfare. And I wouldn't end these programs today (well, maybe corporate welfare), I would scale them down over maybe 5 years. Wouldn't you be at least a little excited at the thought of how you could help the disabled yourself with your own money that you would be getting back since the government wouldn't be using it anymore? I'm sure you, like most people, are more efficient with your own money than the government is, and the look on someones face as you personally hand them a check, or the thought of walking into an organization that you had a personal hand in building and/or maintaining would be a pretty satisfying feeling.
    I am helping the disabled with my own money, via taxes. I don't miss that money, because it's small in comparison to other portions of the federal budget. 12% of the budget goes to support safety net programs. I also already donate to organizations which support the disabled, anonymously, because I don't need that feeling you are describing. I am not self-aggrandizing and nor do I wish to ever make anyone feel beholden to me.

    If all federal programs were to end, 12% of my taxes would not go very far in helping a single disabled person so that they could survive on part time pay and my heart would break to see their small measure of self-sufficiency end as they had to take refuge in some horrid institution. I do not believe in putting innocent people into potentially hellish conditions so that few Annies, Abes and Twains might pop out. Scarred by the experience as they would too be.

    So now we are back to discussing what would happen to those for whom charity cannot provide. Charitable contributions go down in hard times. So what about those who are lucky enough to receive charity, but then whose lives are upended when charity runs out in a down turn? Government funds can be effected, but not like a charity, which can dry up over night.
    I don't attack my constituents. Bob is my constituent now.
    This is the important stuff. We canít get lost in discrimination. We canít get lost in B.S. We canít get lost tearing each other down. I want to make a point here that no matter what you look like, where you come from, how you worship, who you love, how you identify, and yeah, how you run, that if you have good public policy ideas, if you are well qualified for office, bring those ideas to the table, because this is your America, too. This is our commonwealth of Virginia, too.
    Danica Roem - The nation's first openly transgender person elected to serve in a U.S. state legislature.

Page 50 of 58 FirstFirst ... 404849505152 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •