View Poll Results: Would you approve of such a bill?

Voters
4. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    3 75.00%
  • No

    1 25.00%
Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: The ACA Medicaid Gap

  1. #1
    Outer space potato man

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    51,849

    The ACA Medicaid Gap

    A wrinkle in the healthcare law implementation that seems to not get talked about much around here is the Medicaid gap.

    The ACA Medicaid Gap-medicaid_graphic-151-jpg

    As you can see from the graph, some states have a Medicaid eligibility threshold that is incredibly low. This is one thing the ACA attempted to rectify. The Feds would pick up the tab for increasing the Medicaid threshold to 138% of the FPL in all states for the first three years. After that, state contribution to this expansion phases up to 10% by 2020. The Feds still pick up the other 90%. People at least 100% of the FPL through 400% are eligible for subsidies under the ACA. People under 100% are not. The assumption is that these people would become eligible for Medicaid and be covered that way instead.

    Here's where the wrinkle comes into play. The Supreme Court ruled it was unconstitutional to require a state to accept this money. States had to be given the opportunity to opt out. 26 states chose to opt out. All of them with GOP governors or legislatures. In many of these states, the Medicaid threshold is less than 100% of the FPL. This leaves a gap where low-income families are not eligible for Medicaid and are not eligible for subsidies to health insurance premiums.

    Your family of three can't get help with healthcare, because your state turned down a ton of money that would have helped you. I'd be upset.

    Why hasn't a bill been floated to close this gap? Lower the premium subsidy to 0-400% of the FPL. If you are eligible for Medicaid, you are not eligible for subsidies, so the effect of this would be that the premium subsidies cover down to your state's Medicaid threshold.

    Would you approve of such a bill?

    Attention, Conservatives.
    I know many of you would prefer a third option of "repeal the ACA." There are a hundred threads to talk about that. This isn't one of them. Assume for the purposes of this poll that the ACA will remain intact at least through 2016 when Obama leaves office.
    He touched her over her bra and underpants, she says, and guided her hand to touch him over his underwear
    Quote Originally Posted by Lutherf View Post
    We’ll say what? Something like “nothing happened” ... Yeah, we might say something like that.

  2. #2
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Last Seen
    12-08-13 @ 10:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    3,114

    Re: The ACA Medicaid Gap

    Quote Originally Posted by Deuce View Post
    A wrinkle in the healthcare law implementation that seems to not get talked about much around here is the Medicaid gap.

    The ACA Medicaid Gap-medicaid_graphic-151-jpg

    As you can see from the graph, some states have a Medicaid eligibility threshold that is incredibly low. This is one thing the ACA attempted to rectify. The Feds would pick up the tab for increasing the Medicaid threshold to 138% of the FPL in all states for the first three years. After that, state contribution to this expansion phases up to 10% by 2020. The Feds still pick up the other 90%. People at least 100% of the FPL through 400% are eligible for subsidies under the ACA. People under 100% are not. The assumption is that these people would become eligible for Medicaid and be covered that way instead.

    Here's where the wrinkle comes into play. The Supreme Court ruled it was unconstitutional to require a state to accept this money. States had to be given the opportunity to opt out. 26 states chose to opt out. All of them with GOP governors or legislatures. In many of these states, the Medicaid threshold is less than 100% of the FPL. This leaves a gap where low-income families are not eligible for Medicaid and are not eligible for subsidies to health insurance premiums.

    Your family of three can't get help with healthcare, because your state turned down a ton of money that would have helped you. I'd be upset.

    Why hasn't a bill been floated to close this gap? Lower the premium subsidy to 0-400% of the FPL. If you are eligible for Medicaid, you are not eligible for subsidies, so the effect of this would be that the premium subsidies cover down to your state's Medicaid threshold.

    Would you approve of such a bill?
    then move you have 24 other states to choose from

  3. #3
    Outer space potato man

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    51,849

    Re: The ACA Medicaid Gap

    Quote Originally Posted by trfjr View Post
    then move you have 24 other states to choose from
    So, is that a no? You would not vote to close this gap?

    And how, exactly, is a family of three living in Texas supposed to move with an annual income of $4700?
    He touched her over her bra and underpants, she says, and guided her hand to touch him over his underwear
    Quote Originally Posted by Lutherf View Post
    We’ll say what? Something like “nothing happened” ... Yeah, we might say something like that.

  4. #4
    Outer space potato man

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    51,849

    Re: The ACA Medicaid Gap

    From this poll, we can extrapolate that every American would support such a fix!
    He touched her over her bra and underpants, she says, and guided her hand to touch him over his underwear
    Quote Originally Posted by Lutherf View Post
    We’ll say what? Something like “nothing happened” ... Yeah, we might say something like that.

  5. #5
    Educator
    USViking's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Greensboro NC USA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:08 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    1,122

    Re: The ACA Medicaid Gap

    Hey Deuce, post a goddam link to the graphic, OK?

    Then could you pare down your question to one sentence in length from four paragraphs (!!!) in length?

    Thanks.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •