I don't know
1. There are few diseases today that can't be cured or stabilized.
2. I can fly anywhere in the world and within a day be reunited with family I haven't seen in years.
3. I'm capable of purchasing fruits from 10,000 miles away after a 5 minute drive to the market.
4. My cellphone can make a call to somebody on a different continent.
5. I don't have to worry about dying from scurvy.
6. My car keeps me within a 10 minute drive from a doctor.
7. If I take care of myself and eat well, my health expectancy is in the 80s.
120 years ago:
1. I could die from syphilis.
2. Move to another continent? Never speak to family members again.
3. Die from there not being enough potatoes.
4. Wrote a letter to somebody in a different continent? Lolz. Pray it gets there.
5. Not enough vitamin C? Hahaha. Yer ****ed.
6. Live 20 miles from a doctor? Hope he gets there in time.
7. Life expectancy? Take the 20 above and multiply it by 2 - then hope you live that long.
10,000 years ago.
1. Die from arrow to the leg.
2. Lost family 20 miles ago? Hunt new family.
3. Can't find enough rats to survive.
4. Communication? Axe down people for berries.
5. Die from it being too cold.
6. Doctor? Try shaman with funny looking bird on his head.
7. Life expectancy? Multiply this number on this list by 3 and consider yourself lucky.
You can't even begin to compare the quality of life enjoyed by humans today to that enjoyed by humans just 120 years ago. Hell, even the 50s sucked for most people. They just refuse to acknowledge it.
I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality. - MLK
The muscle cars of the 60-70s are not all that fast in comparison to todays cars. The Mustang GT of today is fast then all but the most limited edition race prepped mustangs of the 60s. The Honda Accord V6 is faster then all but the highest performance models of the muscle cars. Not to mention it is safer, more comfortable and gets better milage
Conservatives believe the government is incompetent, and seek to elect people who will prove it
Ignorance is Bliss Bliss is the same as happiness US Christian conservatives are the happiest in the US according to studies Do you see a connection?
Absolutely the best time in human history... life spans are long, no slavery, access to education, child birth is routine and women don't die like they used to, health care, womens rights, employment conditions, travel, vacations, technology, freedoms of speech, assembly, press and petition are HUGE, voting... the list is almost endless as to why today is better than the rest of human history.
It's just like alcohol incidents in the Coast Guard, when I first got in underway communication was limited and so we kept with the mantra "What happens underway, stays underway."
By the time my enlistment was up, every single incident made it's way up the chain to PAC AREA and new rules were handed down.
I did however enjoy my 1973 Chevy custom pickup. Her name was Gloria.
Tesla currently being at the front of this race:
I voted No. Because it isn't the kind of world I like how things are.
Nonetheless, that is why I'm alive. To save the world from the evils that ruin it.
I'm unhappy with how many people condemn Christianity, and freedom. Good things like that. If you are good you get labeled crazy. If you are evil you can get glorified as being entertaining. It's wrong.
The PC is killing my eyes (so as I am seriously considering getting rid of it), food is full of **** (additives, preservatives, E101, GMO, etc), bankers gone wild, crime, people are unhappy... I'd take the 50's any time.
Last edited by Canell; 10-14-13 at 01:02 AM.
At 59-YO, I also think of tech, every day..
I hope to see fusion on line and then used to propel spacecraft..
Eliminate garbage with Mandatory recyling--energy from biomass as well as future new jobs, at higher tech..
In 100 years, I can see us unloading landfills with those folks cursing the 20th century.
Chemists Have Solutions .